Shades Marathon Training

62,461 to 62,480 of 66,898 messages
05/09/2013 at 18:49

Hi everyone,

Shades, at the very beginning of this thread (years ago now!), you talk about a marathon schedule you have created - is this something you still have please? Thanks you.

05/09/2013 at 21:31

Hate's a very strong word VR  You'll love it, I'm sure

Hopefully see you there then.  Do you know if any other Trotters are doing it?

05/09/2013 at 22:32

No idea Big G. Looked to see if there was an entry list but there isn't. Yep. See you there 

06/09/2013 at 06:03

Madbee - you're right, it's because I had to take a rest day that I wanted to run.

Are you still feeling tired?

rainedonparade - yes, still available. PM me an email address and I'll send to you.

VR -one run after your back injury and now you're going to race.   What about your training?

06/09/2013 at 07:24

Signing off now.   Good luck to all racing this weekend especially Molly doing her first tri....can't wait for the race report

06/09/2013 at 08:16

Good luck to Shades for her ultra! I'll be leaving for the UK tomorrow but not sure how much access I'll have so have a great weekend's running all!

Good luck to Molly for her first tri!

06/09/2013 at 08:44

Shades - At least you can go the long way to work and make it 2 Good luck with the Ultra.

Big_G - Sounds like you are running well at the moment so go for it, you'll know a few miles into the race how you're feeling on the day.

Emmy - Are you racing in the UK this weekend ?

I settled for a 12miler last night, so a 20 planned tomorrow if I can get up early enough to be out the door at half 5 latest. Otherwise will have to do it Sunday eve or Monday.

06/09/2013 at 08:50

Hi Kingkenny - Yep - i'll be getting my gladrags on and running the Bachhus marathon in Dorking (it's fancy dress and wine ). It's quite close to my parents so perfect for a weekend away. They'll have the dog for the day and I can run!

Boyska will be having a treat tomorrow - we're going to run around windsor great park and hopefully he'll get to see some lovely deer!

06/09/2013 at 09:09

That sounds great Emmy

What more do you want from a Marathon! 

'Your entry fee includes race entry and wine tasting around the course and a post race glass of wine and hog roast BBQ'

'We would strongly suggest that you come via public transport if you can.'  ..ha ha

Windsor park is ace.

06/09/2013 at 13:51

Wow, that sounds like my kind of race Emmy!  Enjoy yourself!

Shades, Big G and VR, enjoy your races too, and good luck with your tri, Molly - did you manage to get the sea-swimming cracked?

Last LSR done  Cut it a fraction short, as it was LASHING down with rain, and I was so cold, wet and miserable at 16 miles that I decided to go the direct way home instead of adding a mile loop in, so finished at 19.  I felt really strong though and did a pretty hilly route a little faster than I have done it before, so I'm content with that - I might do a little pootle out tomorrow on tired legs just to round off the week.  Shades, I think I am a little less tired, hard to tell as it's been a really mental few weeks at work so feel quite tired brain-wise, but physically I have had a good week training, so feeling happy.  I'm convinced I can run a marathon now!

06/09/2013 at 15:40

Madbbe - 19 is ample you'll have no problems doing a marathon. I did my first after a LSR of 17 miles and since then I don't usually go past 18. 

Errr, no I haven't cracked the sea swimming lark. It'll be a mix of crawl, breast & back stroke. I'll pretend that I misheard "free style" for "three styles"   

Shades - have a great run at your longest Ultra of the year, good luck

Emmy - hope you have a fab weekend both running and with your mum & dad

Big G - Pb on the cards then? Best of luck. You're right it is an unusual time for starting.

VR - good luck to you too and don't go haring off we need you on top form for Berlin!

06/09/2013 at 15:46

My dad went home to sunny Yorkshire this morning so thankfully he won't be around to watch me stagger home tomorrow at the tri. Rest day for me today. Cycled to work & back yesterday and I'd put some coloured lip balm on in the morning and as I was dashing downhill I went through of a gang of midges, I must have had 20 on my lips - not a good look at all!

Debuting my trisuit tomorrow, hope it won't be see-through. I'll soon be uploaded onto Youtube if it is! I'm in the process of writing my gear list so I don't forget anything. I'm going to try my best and enjoy, everyone's got to start somewhere!

06/09/2013 at 20:36

Good luck to Shades, Molly, Emmy, Big G and VR. Very busy weekend

07/09/2013 at 15:37

Good luck with the Tri molly.    Dont think back stroke is allowed in Tri and you may get pulled out of the water If you do it, if you are in trouble you turn onto your back and put your arm in the air

good luck to all this weekend

07/09/2013 at 17:08

Molly - lol at your midge covered lips!! Good luck with your tri.. Looking forward to hearing about that one! Good running to all other Shadies this weekend too!

07/09/2013 at 20:48

Hope Shades has had a good ultra and Marathon Molly a good first tri. Emmy, can't wait to hear your report for your half too.

No running club for me today as we had an attempted break in last night so was up till 2am seeing police and forensics. Grrrrrr So angry and a bit shaken and cross that this has ruined my weekend. Early night tonight so I can at least enjoy my LR tomorrow.

07/09/2013 at 22:17

Sorry to hear that Koala very worrying for you. What stopped them getting in? Have  a good run tomorrow.

good luck everyone racing and Molly doing a Tri !! Mad! 

Shades completed her 50 miles today!! In all weathers by the sound of it! 

08/09/2013 at 05:42

Well done Shades!! Cant wait to hear  the report!

Good luck today Molly

08/09/2013 at 15:01

Well done Shades!

Bridgwater Half done in 1:49:34 (that's from my Garmin; official results not out yet), which is 10mins slower than I was hoping for, so not a great day at the office today.  On the positive, it's a good event, I'd do it again and I'm now off t'pub   

If the event had been on Saturday AM instead of Sunday I would have been a DNS because I was having stomach issues that would have meant running would have been, erm, dangerous (if you get my drift).  However, the issue cleared up late on Saturday and I had done my best to rehyrdate myself enough.  I was up for the race come Sunday and was feeling relatively good at the start line.

The first 6 miles were fine and I was on target to sneak under 1hr40 for the first time (PB is 1hr42).  I felt in control and felt I was going to be able to push on in the second half, but then at around 9 miles I had some stomach pain that unfortuantely just stopped me dead in my tracks and I just had to pull into the side of road.  After a few seconds I started walking (in total I walked for nearly 3/4 of a mile) and from 10miles onwards I knew any time was out of the window so I was just doing what I could to finish.  In the circumstances, those last 3 miles were tough but I'm also pleased I managed to complete the race.  This running malarkey is funny because this time last year I would have been happy with sub-1hr50 but it wasn't what I hoping for at this event but I think in hindsight that even though I felt okay at the start line, it's clear I wasn't fully over my stomach issue.  My mind was playing tricks on me as well (I was swearing to myself, not out loud I hasten to add!) and at that point I was beaten mentally as well, I'm afraid to say.

So in summary, Bridgwater is a good event which didn't come right for me personally on the day but I know I'm running relatively well so I'm hopeful this is a minor blip.  Onwards and upwards

08/09/2013 at 15:57

Never mind Big G. They'll be other races. Also it wasn't as flat as they claimed it to be!  I just ran with E for the first half then she went on. I'm in no way racing fit so I was just glad to finish a road race without my back playing up. I finished in 2.03 A bit miffed to go over the 2 hours! Oh well!

i agree, it was a good event that has good potential. The marshals were a bit grumpy. Lol! 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.