Shades Marathon Training

62,481 to 62,500 of 66,475 messages
08/09/2013 at 16:24

Well done Shades, an amazing achievement. I hope you are enjoying refuelling today.

Congrats too to VR and Big G on the half. Annoying not to get under 2 hours, VR but must be a relief to know you can race that distance pain free.

I did 13 miles today, longest training run since London. I remember when 13m in training used to feel easy but this felt a lot longer than the 10 miles I've been doing most Sundays. And my pace got slower at the end. 

VR, we think the burglar must have heard our car on the drive and scapered so a relief they didn't get in but still two windows to replace and keep thinking what would have happened if we had been 10 mins later

08/09/2013 at 19:38

Well done Shades, look forward to a report.

Good to hear you got through the half ok vr.

Big_G  - No doubt the bug took more out of you than you thought, did well to finish.

20 miler done today around 10:00 pace for most of it and last 5 at 9:40 with the final mile at 9.  Lovely morning, got out just as it was getting light.

09/09/2013 at 07:20

Morning Shadies - Just back from my recovery run, couldn't do a recovery run yesterday as I had to get up at 5 am and was too tired when I got home.   Legs are OK, a bit tired, but glutes are very sore

What a wonderful race Dingle 50 is, was happy to finish in 10.42, strong winds on parts of the course made running difficult.   Will do a report later.

SK - sorry to hear about the break in, horrible feeling that your privacy was invaded.

Big G - sorry to hear your race didn't go to plan.  After a stomach upset you would need at least 24 hours before attempting a race and only with Imodium!   But you did well in the circumstances.

molly - well how did you get on?

09/09/2013 at 07:25

Ok'ish run yesterday but legs were hurting quite a bit. I did walk to the next town for some shopping that day and the day before went on 5-6 mile walk geocaching. I've not been sleeping too well either. Fingers crossed the next run will go much better.

However the change in temperature has been much appreciated!

09/09/2013 at 09:05

VR - yes, the marhsalls were particularly miserable.  A few of them weren't really "marshalling" but bascially playing on their phones I noticed.  My wife mentioned that the marhshalls were grumbling as there were two people who were planning on walking the whole distance.  They must have been walking fairly slowly as my wife, your OH and Wilf overtook them whilst walking up to the path to try and see us at around the 4 mile mark.  Can you thank your OH for texting me his pic of me to my wife....that's appreciated.

Shades - looking forward to seeing the report  I think you're right about the stomach upset and it's another "lesson learned" for me.  In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have raced it but never mind.  I'm a bit concerned that I lost it mentally so easily though so need to try and work on that.  If the nature of the course had meant that the 10  mile mark was nearer the finish line I think I may have DNFd.  I only completed the last 3 miles as I really had no other option, and I've never really thought like that in a race before.

Anyway, enough of reflecting.  What are people's plans this week?

09/09/2013 at 09:59

Big G - Well done finishing, you still did brilliantly.  If you hadnt been rough the day before you would have done a PB I'm sure

Shades - Thats brilliant, you must be really pleased with yourself

Auranya - I am happier now that the temperature has dropped here as well, I really struggle in the heat and my training has come on so much more since its cooled down.  How many miles did you do?

09/09/2013 at 09:59

Big G - maybe you over analyse things!  You going on the recce 10k run this week?

09/09/2013 at 10:10

Shades - What a FANTASTIC time. I had a friend running the dingle 50 and had a great race but said that it was hillier than expected. How are you feeling?

Molly - any news?

VR - how is your back?

It's really cold here I did the Bacchus marathon yesterday but when you don't drink - it's hard when you're trying to push the drunks around the course Lovely course, great organisation and cannot recommend it highly enough.

09/09/2013 at 10:13

VR - over analysing stuff is definitiely a trait I have.  My wife goes nuts with me about it   In my job I have to follow the moto "plan for the worse, but hope for the best" and unfortunately that mentality does spill over into other stuff sometimes!  You should see me when I'm buying a new car, for example.  I would create a spreadsheet with the models that we're looking at, with all the outgoings across 3 or 5 years etc etc.  Ultimately, it just comes down to what colour my wife wants though

Yes, I'm doing the recce run but I can't be at the meal afterwards on this occassion.  Are you going?

09/09/2013 at 10:16

Big_G -I think that to be able to do what you did the day after having stomach issues... Well done!

09/09/2013 at 13:04

Big G - lol! That would drive me nuts too! I'm at the other extreme! Not sure about the recce run yet. 

Emmy - Well done at Bacchus. You looked great in fancy dress!! Back is on the mend thanks, still a bit stiff. At my half yesterday someone in front dropped their buff, normally I would of picked it up but on this occasion there's no way I would of bent down to retrieve it! I would be still there now.

Come on Molly! Not still swimming I hope! 

09/09/2013 at 13:24

Big G - you didn't lose it mentally, you were ill, so not a question of digging deep and carrying on at the same pace.   You did well to finish.

Emmy - not really, I've done faster on that course.

Must go and start race report, haven't done one of those for ages

09/09/2013 at 13:26

Shades - you're certainly a machine then when it comes to ultra's! A friend of mine that runs a 3.15 marathon took 9hrs to complete it and said they were 'happy' with it as the course was niggly. Am looking forward to reading your report!

09/09/2013 at 15:51

Hi All, just popping in to say hi. It's been a weird (not good) couple of months running wise. Three most important facts are:

1) I was not able to run in ramadan this year as last year i would run after work but this year i have been getting home from work too late to run. Sucks. Lost a month.

2) I got some kind of weird virus which wiped me out for a month. I felt weak and dizzy the whole time. My head was congested and I could smell snot for a whole month. Sucks. Lost a month! (Did a couple of cheeky runs - was fine during the run but felt ill for 3 days afterwards). 

3) I've put on 9lb's in weight - no excuse. It's not cos of the lack of running. I HAVE been eating with carefree abandon!

OK so i've got to get the diet sorted and begin running again! Seems like i've missed summer (running-wise) and now i'm going to be running in that crapy cold wet weather again. Oh well, it's familiar territory Now where did I put those base layers?

09/09/2013 at 15:54

lamb to the slaughter......I felt fine until I got there and saw all the ironman t-shirts and the jazzy bikes (mine was the only one with a stand!) and I sorted my kit out copying the layout from the chap next to me. Then the coast guards came and put a notice up saying it was forbidden to go into the sea because of toxic algae. I thought my prayers had been answered...until they decided to continue nevertheless. I then decided that no way was I going to put my face in that water so I decided to opt for breast stroke all the way. I waited until everyone had gone off in their slinky wetsuits and I got into the water and I found it quite relaxing actually - until I saw at least a dozen of blatant cheaters who cut the corners and missed out some buoys. That made me mad. Anyway I carried out and came out of the sea with 5 behind me so I was well chuffed. The bike was an absolute mare.....rocks and more rocks. I was slipping and juddered so much, the only thing that kept me spirits up was thinking that it would help my cellulite. All 5 came past me and I trailed in after the bike leg 5 mins after the 2nd to last. I parked up and I was off like a woman possessed, I had to claw some time back. I ran 5km in 22.40 and I managed to overtake one and nearly got another. Result: second to last out of 120  in 1h 28 (in 2012 I would have had 7 behind me) and I'll definitely be back next year. If I can do anybody can do it. I was the "chunkiest" of all the women and I was quite miserable but my daughter said don't worry Mum, you're the Serena William's of triathlon  

09/09/2013 at 16:18

SK - my brother got broken into 2 months ago, the took the car, wedding ring, cash, pc etc and they had a nightmare sorting out the insurance

Big G - I think you did an excellent time considering, you really couldn't have done any more

VR - don't worry I've done a HM in 2.17 and I'd trained for it - you've been on the injury bench!

KK - well done on your 20 miler you must have felt fine if you upped the pace at the end

Shades - fantastic time and very well done, that's an awful long way

Emmy - I'd love to see a photo. Did  you see any deer on Sat? 

09/09/2013 at 16:28

Hi Molly - we didnt see any deer this time But we did see A LOT of ducks. Boyska was spoilt rotten this weekend by my parents and I dont think he wanted to come home

A funny race for me yesterday. Fancy dress was a lot of fun and the course was lovely. I'm really coming to enjoy the trail races!

VR/Shades/Mowser - have you ever done the A20 up and down marathon? Would you recommend it?

09/09/2013 at 16:30

Marathon Molly, congratulations you are now a triathlete! Hope you are feeling incredibly proud. Great race report, I never understand why all bikes don't come with stands?! A very speedy run time for the 5k, especially given you had swum and cycled already. Very impressive indeed.

Shade, what can I say?! Hat off to you, brilliant time!! Can't wait for the race report! Do you remember every mile in a 50-miler?! How are the legs feeling now?

Khani, good to hear from you. That sucks that you have missed lots of runs but NO EXCUSES NOW!! What have you got planned for the next months? Are you still cycling?

MM, we were lucky this time as had nothing taken but now going to get more secure with an alarm. I'd rather get a dog but OH not keen!

09/09/2013 at 16:31

Emmy, what did you dress as? Where are the pics?!

09/09/2013 at 16:33

Hi Slowkoala - there are a few on Facebook and then a few coming from the 'official' photographer. I didnt take my camera on course (unfortuantely) so there aren't as many as i'd like. This is Weedy and I (Weedy is on the Paris thread)

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/334358/gallery/1240650_908540697010_1004655591_n.jpg?width=350

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.