Shades Marathon Training

62,521 to 62,540 of 67,839 messages
11/09/2013 at 22:43

Great report Manafox! And 30 mins behind the overall winner is a brilliant time too. Sounds quite tough though, with fallen trees, big holes and ropes. More like an obstacle race only you had to run 20k too! Makes my 5 mile race on Sunday on dead flat road seem quite inviting What did you get for your prize? You should feel very proud.

11/09/2013 at 23:22

Really enjoyed your report Manafox! so you should feel proud! Sounded tough! Ropes!!! Lol!

Me and Big G did the recce run tonight for our clubs Ladies 10k race on Sunday. Well, I only saw him once! 

12/09/2013 at 07:04

Mamafox - a great report.  The race sounds fun!

VR - it was a good run out last night.  I was trying to keep up with a couple of young whipper-snappers  I think there were 37 in our group and Chair mentioned there were 20-odd in the other group so a good turnout.

12/09/2013 at 07:10

Keith - the godfather won't be pleased, Brathay have just cancelled our reunion dinner held after the Langdale marathon.   Rescheduled for November, but I won't be going.

mamafox - brilliant report, what a race!   More like an adventure race than a trail race.   Well done on your prize, well deserved.

And as for the bagpipes, I personally think they shouldn't be let out of Scotland...I hate them

I'm still working on my race report, I'm back in training now, circuits last night, Kettlecise tonight and running every morning, aches almost all gone

VR - LOL, are you marshalling or doing the race on Sunday?   I've decided not to run it as I'm not in PB shape, will watch Mo on telly instead

12/09/2013 at 08:38

Mamafox - what was this race?! I must put it on my bucket list! Really great race report!

12/09/2013 at 08:55

Mamafox - What a great report and a brilliant race, thats sounds great.  Well done on getting 4th women

Shades - I thought you were watching me on sunday never mind Mo  Look out for a brunette with long legs, beetroot face in a Get Kids Going T-shirt and that will be me

12/09/2013 at 09:55

Shades - I'm not marshalling as they seem to be covered and I haven't entered it. I'd rather watch Mo with you! 

12/09/2013 at 10:14

Great report Mamafox, & you did really well..what race was it ?

Good luck with the GNR Lesley, must do it one year, damn expensive for a half though.

12/09/2013 at 10:21
KingKenny wrote (see)

Good luck with the GNR Lesley, must do it one year, damn expensive for a half though.

Completely agree with you there. The entire Great Run series are a complete rip off. I used to run the GSR every year with my mum but we've stopped it now as the price and crowds were huge and we both started to hate the race.

12/09/2013 at 13:01

Lesley - I'll watch Mo and then I'll watch you.   You'll just be a few minutes behind him, won't you?   Hope the weather is good for you

Emmy - never done any of the Great Run series, too crowded and overpriced, plus wouldn't travel that far for shorter than marathon distance races.

Where are you racing this weekend?

Edited: 12/09/2013 at 13:26
12/09/2013 at 14:15

Seems I did enter Barcelona. Lol!

12/09/2013 at 14:17
Valley Runner wrote (see)

Seems I did enter Barcelona. Lol!

Excellent!

Shades - I'm running the brussels eco trail on Saturday and then "in flanders field" on sunday. Am just going to take it easy and enjoy it!

12/09/2013 at 17:23

Emmy - what distance are those races?

VR - LOL, we all know you entered Barcelona, how come you forgot?

12/09/2013 at 17:45

Hi shades.

saturday is 26km and is due to be with the dog if the weather keeps cool. Its all trail so it'll be nice and easy for him.

Sunday is a marathon. The first world war is a topic of interest for me so im looking forward to running through it.

Whats your plan for this weekend?

VR - how could you forget about sangria?

12/09/2013 at 17:54

I know! What a numpty I am!

ive also been looking at Lake Garda again! So far I've looked at flying to Verona, train to Desenzano then ferry on the Lake to stay at Limone where the marathon starts.

looks to good to dismiss! 

12/09/2013 at 19:44

Thank you everyone for your comments! I enjoyed writing the race up as I got to relive it all over again!

Slowkoala - My prize was a box full of regional specialities. A nice bottle of Bordeaux  plus a selection of jars of things like fois gras and indescribable parts of duck..bleeuurrrrk. To be honest would have preferred a Body Shop selection pack but didn't want to appear ungrateful so thanked them enthusiastically then promptly handed over box to an appreciative Mr Fox who has been brought up on such delights. Thinking about it, this is the first time I have actually won anything - well since a donkey derby circa 1981...

The race is quite local to me and is called the "Trail de la Braconne". We live in the Charente region of France... about half way down on the left a bit in from Bordeaux if you want to get technical! Otherwise just tap "middle of nowhere" in Google and you should find me pretty much spot on

Emmy - That sounds a lot of mileage in one weekend. The Flanders marathon sounds very interesting - and moving too I bet. Was thinking about you during my race as at one point was surrounded by three dogs!! The owners had these long snazzy harness things wrapped round them - have you got one of those? All dogs looked as if they were having a wonderful time and were pulling their owners along at a fair old speed!

Lesley - Good luck for your GNR on Sunday. Won't be able to watch it on tv here but will be looking forward to hearing all about it when you get back!

Tempo 10k done this morning. Back to running in the dark again  Not cold though, feels weird running in pitch black in vest top and shorts! Dogs caught someones pet rabbit.. enormous white fluffy thing. Nightmare getting it off them. It wasn't hurt but was squealing the place down.....managed to release it then scarpered before we were noticed!!

Edited: 12/09/2013 at 19:50
12/09/2013 at 20:59

I'd steer clear of the foie gras, MF... My 6 yo decided to try it whilst on holiday in the dordogne, followed by duck and chips! It all came up again during our 5 hour journey to the other campsite. 

My sister's dog loves rabbits and has caught the neighbours one a few times when it has escaped.

Emmy, good luck in the marathon on Sunday. It's fairly flat around there isn't it (?) so should be a fast route.

I'm doing the inaugural ickenham 5 mile road race on Sunday. I think it will have less than 200 runners and is nice and local. Also supposed to be a nice flat course.

13/09/2013 at 00:54

KK yup got Brighton marathon in April as my a-race. Got 3 half marathons on the way.

i did an 8 mile run couple of days ago. Ran the last 3 miles at marathon pace 9 min mile and it felt like I was running at my 10k pace. I was really struggling and even got a stitch. Shocked at how much I have slowed down and how much fitness I have lost.

13/09/2013 at 07:17

Emmy - a busy weekend for you then, hope the weather is cool enough for you both to run on Saturday.

Domestic weekend for me, which I'm looking forward to.  Will be training too of course and watching GNR on telly.

VR - what date is Lake Garda?

mamafox - that's a good prize, certainly for your OH anyway. 

LOL at rescuing the rabbit, glad it was OK though

SK - that's quite young to be eating foie gras, but good to know some children will try unfamiliar foods.

Good luck for Sunday, are you hoping for a PB?

Khanivore - you'll soon get back to the fitness level you were at before your 'time off', but don't overdo it, build up the mileage gradually.

Another warm morning here today, back to running vest.   Legs a bit sore but that's from Kettlecise last night.

13/09/2013 at 07:46

Shades - this year it's 13th October, so i guess it's the same time next year. We have to do it!

Morning!  Grey and gloomy today but so mild! 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.