Shades Marathon Training

62,541 to 62,560 of 66,713 messages
13/09/2013 at 07:51
Not long to Berlin you guys Does anyone know when entries for 2014 open?
13/09/2013 at 08:01
Khanivore wrote (see)
Not long to Berlin you guys Does anyone know when entries for 2014 open?

30th September. But it's a ballot as of next year.

13/09/2013 at 08:16

VR - re Lake Garda, probably not for me next year.  I'm already having to curtail my marathon trips for 2014 and that's without adding any new races.

13/09/2013 at 08:16
Valley Runner wrote (see)

ive also been looking at Lake Garda again! So far I've looked at flying to Verona, train to Desenzano then ferry on the Lake to stay at Limone where the marathon starts.

looks to good to dismiss! 

That's also on my bucket list! How many days are planning either side for it?

mamafox wrote (see)

Emmy - That sounds a lot of mileage in one weekend. The Flanders marathon sounds very interesting - and moving too I bet. Was thinking about you during my race as at one point was surrounded by three dogs!! The owners had these long snazzy harness things wrapped round them - have you got one of those? All dogs looked as if they were having a wonderful time and were pulling their owners along at a fair old speed!

Hi Mamafox - you really are in the middle of nowhere! From google - it looks absolutely stunning!

We have one of those leads but i'm thinking of changing as he likes to play instead of run! I'm really looking forward to this race. You run under the 'name' of someone who died in the Great War so it makes it especially moving.

Slowkoala wrote (see)

My sister's dog loves rabbits and has caught the neighbours one a few times when it has escaped.

Emmy, good luck in the marathon on Sunday. It's fairly flat around there isn't it (?) so should be a fast route.

I'm doing the inaugural ickenham 5 mile road race on Sunday. I think it will have less than 200 runners and is nice and local. Also supposed to be a nice flat course.

Hi Slowkoala - thank you. It's flat with 2-3 bridges so should be OK but the biggest issue is wind. Because it's so flat and there's limited tree coverage :/

Shades - Yes - it'll be a busy weekend. I had eco trail planned ages ago and always planned to take it easy but now I have the dog it seems like too good an opportunity to miss.

13/09/2013 at 09:14

Berlin is becoming a balot? OMG!!! AAARRRGGGGHHHHHHHHH NEIN NEIN NEIN!!!!

13/09/2013 at 09:16

Khani: http://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/event/registration-2014.html

"There will be a pre-registration phase that will be open from September 30 to October 14, in which everyone who wishes to participate can submit his or her data; then on October 30, there will be a random selection of participants from the pool of registrants to receive starting spots for the 41st BMW BERLIN MARATHON 2014.

13/09/2013 at 09:19

Oh well - i'll be throwing my hat in to the ring. So for you guys its not long to tapering and then the fabulous carbo loading

13/09/2013 at 09:32

woohoo

Congats Keith you have a place in the grizzly email just now.

13/09/2013 at 10:42

Mamafox - Thanks, there was talk on the BBC News yesterday of cancelling the GNR due to a storm coming but its going to hit on Monday now instead so hopefully it will be ok.  I am really looking forward to it.

I am on holiday from next week for 10 days in Cyprus so I dont think that I will be online again for a little while after today.

Good luck to everyone running or racing this weekend

13/09/2013 at 11:06

Good luck Lesley with the GNR and have a great week in Cyprus.

Shades, as always I'd love to get a PB in my 5 miler on Sunday but feel like I've lost a bit of stamina recently so not sure how will go. Attempted a 3 mile tempo at target race pace this morning and struggled before getting to 2 miles. Then thought perhaps it wasn't the best of ideas so jogged back home! Would love to dip under 35 mins but will need a lot of race day adrenalin for that to happen 

I s

13/09/2013 at 13:03

Khanivore - are you just doing marathons for the carbo loading?

Keith - have you done Grizzly before?   

Lesley- good luck for Sunday then and don't forget to pop back on here after your hols to tell us how you got on.   Have a lovely holiday too.

SK - maybe it will all come together on Sunday, it's not always possible to plan these things, a lot depends on how you feel on that day.

13/09/2013 at 13:55

Nope but i bet VR has

13/09/2013 at 13:59

Yes she has, so she might be there again to push you in a river, chuck you off a cliff etc

13/09/2013 at 15:17

SK - Good luck for your race this weekend (hope that pesky nine year old not running it too...!)

Easy 11k done this morning, lovely to run in cooler temperatures.

Good running this weekend to all Shadies 

13/09/2013 at 17:31

Mamafox - excellent report and result!! Rope climbing and running, sounds tough to me!

VR - Garda is on my 2014 list

Khani - what are you like i'll carbo load and think of you!

Mowzer -ooohh i love picking scabs, they always last for months. Have you tried sudocrem on them, that tends to work wonders

Emmy - good luck for this weekend, hope the weather is decent. I must just say that I met you at VLM 2012 and you were  bonny but not exactly skinny (I'm allowed to say it because I was worse than you), now you are absolutely gorgeous and have an amazing figure! It just shows that it can be done and you should be well pleased with what you've achieved - not just the fact of being slimmer but you're a damn sight quicker and I'm sure you must feel great.

13/09/2013 at 17:37

Shades - have a relaxing weekend and try and get a lie-in if you can, you always seem to be up early!

Lesley - best of luck for the GNR, you can do sub 2.30! e leave OH behind if he needs a number 2!

I'm a bit weary at the moment although I've got to do 20k tomorrow but I'll spend the rest of the weekend faffing at home. It's getting cooler so I need to have a sort-out with my clothes and put the summer ones away and get the winter ones out. Berlin looks chilly, I'm starting on my weather obsession even though I KNOW they're not reliable so far ahead..... 

13/09/2013 at 17:46

Mamafox - well done on your race - sounds really tough.

Emmy and Slowkoala - good luck for this weekend. Anyone else racing?

Keith - not sure about the congratulations. Stories about the Grizzly make me think you should be offered commiserations instead .

Leg still a bit sore. Weepy bits have also scabbed over now. Bit scared of putting anything on it at the moment. Have routine docs appointment on Monday so can ask about it if still not ok.

Shades - yes, doing New Forest . Who else is there? Emmy? VR?

13/09/2013 at 18:13

Mowzer, +1 for sudocream, works really well on cuts, but good that it has a scab now. I also find that cuts clear quicker after a swim, think it must be the chlorine or something.

MM, weather obsession is part and parcel of marathon training as is hypochondria, food obsession and general irritability! One time on the tube to work, I actually got off at an early stop as someone was sneezing near me. I then attempted to get on at another carriage but it was too full so I had to wait for another tube!

Shades, I think you are right re races and needing to feel good on the day. I also often find it harder to focus without my music () but am definitely just taking the garmin for this one. 

13/09/2013 at 18:48

Molly - Lake Garda looks fab! Hope we can make it there!

Shades/Keith- I didn't enter The Grizzly! Why on earth would I want to do that again?? 

Mowser - I'm not at New Forest this time. I think Emmy is.

good luck any one racing this weekend or getting out there doing long runs 

Dont know what I'm doing yet....

13/09/2013 at 19:25

Good i'm saved from being assaulted by VR once more :P

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.