Shades Marathon Training

63,001 to 63,020 of 66,797 messages
17/10/2013 at 07:12

Emmy - perhaps we can persuade you to do Dartmoor Discovery one year, shorter at 32.4 miles but hilly.   It might change your mind about hills.

VR & Big G - how did the 5k go?

mowzer - I'm not too good at remembering so I have to write my reports over a few days, going back to add in bits as I remember them.

Really mild this morning, lovely run.

I bought some okra last night, nipped into Tesco's to order a TV for my Mum and saw the okra on my way out.   Not sure what to do with it now...any ideas

17/10/2013 at 07:36

Great reports, Shades and KK, well done both of you!  

Shades, re okra, put it in a curry, or just fry it really quickly - whatever you do don't cook it too much, or it turns into slimy horribleness 

VR, hope your 5K went well

Had a good, pacey run with club last night - we've moved to our winter meeting point, and the route was flat apart from one massive hill - I faded a little bit at the end as my group set off at around 7:20 pace (too quick for me!), but still managed to average 8 mm over a 6 mile route, so I'm happy that I seem to have recovered pretty well from the marathon!  I think I'm going to try for a bit more speedwork () and aim for a sub 4 marathon at Edinburgh next year.

Looooooong day at work today - I haven't planned my work very well, and I now have two 12-14 hour days a week, one sensible one and two with almost no work at all - sometimes I wish I had a 9 to 5, but only really on a Tuesday and a Thursday

17/10/2013 at 07:39

Shades - When is it? It's spring time isnt it? I'm sure I can be easily tempted if the dog can come along too

VR - How was the time trial at the club?

Madbee - Agree about Okra'. It's lovely when cooked properly!

17/10/2013 at 07:48
I don't think Big G was there last night. I didn't see him. But there were a lot of trotters taking part.
I was dreading it all day and felt sick at the start!
Anyway I started at the back and just tried to hang on to around 10k pace. Stayed consistent all the way and overtook a few. So I wasn't last.
My time was 25.05 at an average pace of 7.58 min/mil
Thank god that was over and I have now finished the overall championship for the year. PHEW!
17/10/2013 at 07:57

Well done VR! That's a great average pace!

17/10/2013 at 08:12

Well done VR!  How have you found the championship?  Would you recommend it?  

Shades, I decided not to do it in the end.  I think I would have got dragged into pushing it too hard, so I decided not to go but did my own thing instead after work.  It's a shame, because it sounded right up my street but I didn't want to risk falling over or something stupid.

17/10/2013 at 08:13

Madbee - you have recovered well.   Thanks for the info on the okra, I will perhaps do a turkey stir fry and make sure I cook it quickly.

Emmy - it's the first Saturday in June, entries open in January.  It's road, no dogs allowed.

VR - well done, is that a PB for you?

17/10/2013 at 08:22

Big G - i have attempted the Championship 4 times but only completed it twice. For me it's always an added challenge because of the marathons. It's really hard fitting it in. So I'm quite pleased with myself for just finishing it. 

I do enjoy the racing ( most of the time) especially if I'm running well and beating my rivals! Some people are very canny on which races to choose knowing that their competitors might be at a race somewhere else! So they can get easy points. 

You ought to give it a go. As you know they're all sorts of distances and terrain in the list of races. No marathons though. Booooo

17/10/2013 at 08:25

Shades- I guess it is a PB. As I've never done a road measured distance 5k before.

i know I could do better than that if I was racing fit. 

17/10/2013 at 09:24

VR - well done on completing the championship  It's one of those things that I am considering next year.  I know I wouldn't get anywhere in the overall standings (I'd be lucky to get in the top 10 I expect) but I like the idea of doing a few different types of local races.  We'll see.

If you get the chance and want to do a 5K more regularly, get yourself along to the Parkrun at Killerton.  They're really great and well run and a friendly atmosphere.  There was talk about a new Parkrun coming to Bovey Tracey, but that seems to not be happening now (according to the club magaizine this month), unless someone else come along to take on the running/organisation of it.

17/10/2013 at 10:24

Thanks Big G! I wouldn't go that far to do that! I would if there was one on our doorstep. 

17/10/2013 at 13:02

VR - a PB is a PB so well done and you know you can improve on that,

Big G - probably a wise decision.   OK for VR as she has another marathon next week, and no doubt a few more after that before the end of the year.

17/10/2013 at 15:06

VR - Shades is right a PB is a PB and I bet you suffered more on that 5k than you do on a marathon!

Big G - Are you doing a parkrun this weekend?

Shades - I don't know what Okra even looks like, never heard of it  sounds like something off Doctor Who

mamafox - shooting stars! Did you make a wish (or 2 in your case?)

Madbee - great to see how you've recovered from the mara

Emmy - have a good run in Amsterdam. Hope the weather will be decent. I know you are capable of doing a PB but I don't want you feeling under pressure to perform every single time because maybe everyone has got used to that and expects it. You don't have to do a PB all the time. See how you feel on the day and most of all, enjoy and stay safe 

17/10/2013 at 15:19

MM - no, I'm not planning on doing a parkrun this weekend.  Over the last few weeks I've done 10 parkrun events on three different courses and I do really like them though.  I've got a 5-6 miler planned tonight and probably a 4-mile bimble about on Saturday.  Then DMV mara on Sunday.

Shades/VR - as you've done the DMV marathon before, would you advocate planning on walking the steepest part of that one hill (which is done twice)?  Planning on walking is obviously different to running and then taking an unplanned walk-break (which happened to me last year on the Half) so I was wondering what your thoughts were on that from a conserving energy and overall marathon time point of view.

17/10/2013 at 19:53

Shades - fab race report, it sounds a really challenging course (I mean apart from the fact that its 50 miles!) The psychology of it all is so important.

KK - well done on a sub 2hr half! LOL at your brother beating you though -  I would be exactly the same if I was running with my sisters. You never lose that competativeness with your sibling (or in my case, anyone else). 

VR - great 5k time, even if you weren't on top form. x

Big_G and Emmy and anyone else who's racing this weekend - good luck. Hope the weather stays kind

SK - when is the cabbage patch 10 - is it this weekend?

Molly - considering you weren't well, that's a great 10k time. Difficult to run when you can't breathe....

Crap couple of weeks for me. Work has been manic. I've had an ongoing back problem which I've had physio for but isn't helping. And I've been getting headaches post-running (think they are basically linked to exercise) so next week I have the joy of going to see both a rheumatologist/sport medicine consultant and a neurologist. Oh and the car is in the garage which is a logistical nightmare all round. 

I haven't (yet) signed up for the half in November as I want to see what the consultant says next week. I did 10 miles (in the mud!) at the weekend and 2 more runs since. I'm planning 12 this weekend. Hopefully there is no reason why I can't run it. GP did say that I should stop running and I looked at her like  I mean yes stopping running would stop the headaches but honestly, as if that were an option. 

Anyone got trail shoes?? I'm thinking of investing in a pair after the weekend's run in the woods pretty much caned my trainers.

17/10/2013 at 20:34

VR - well done on your 5k, that's a great time . How did you do in the championships?

I think I've left my trail shoes a little too long drying out after Sunday. Mud on the soles is still damp but I'm reduced to chipping lumps of 'concrete' from the uppers .

17/10/2013 at 21:09

Mowser - there's a couple more races that are on the calendar for the championship so people can improve their results. I've just done the minimum of 12 races Plus a few more earlier in the year. The overall results will be announced at the Christmas bash mid December. But I should finish in the top 6.

Big G - I would say if you're in good shape you should be able to run up that hill both times! I will try to run it both times but in reality the second time round will be run walk probably. 

18/10/2013 at 07:08

Big G - I don't think you should plan to walk the hill, just see how it goes and if you feel you need to walk then do so, especially on the 2nd lap.   Any time you lose walking up the hill you can make up on the long gentle downhill.

Louey - sorry to hear about your back and the post run headaches, hope the consultant can sort you out.   Grrrr at your GP.

mowzer - LOL at the shoes, chalky mud is the worse.   Thankfully I no longer have to deal with that problem, I don't even possess a pair of trail shoes now

Back at Kettlecise last night after 2 weeks off (due to cold and bad back) and it was tough, you really notice it if you've missed a few sessions.

Dry and mild this morning for my run

18/10/2013 at 07:20

Not sure why, but it was an awful 6-miler last night.  My legs felt heavy and I felt queezy.  It's just one of those things I suppose.

I'm enjoying the carbloading though, although if I'm not careful I may end up turning into a pasta twirl (it's been pasta for lunch and tea for the last couple of days, and same again today)

18/10/2013 at 07:27

Too much pasta Big G! Probably why you felt 'heavy' that is wheat overload! Your body wouldn't of liked that. Mine certainly wouldn't! I hardly eat pasta now.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.