Shades Marathon Training

63,201 to 63,220 of 66,756 messages
04/11/2013 at 07:41

Shades - Perhaps a lingering one from DVM or older that doesn't really appear until you go faster, certainly shouldn't be a new one being i havn't exactly done any fast stuff recently. Nothing too major provided i dont go whizzing around at speed usually.

04/11/2013 at 08:06

Horrid weather here today. So changable. Boyska is still on walks only but we're doing gentle 400m runs to see how his paw holds up.

How is everyone else getting on?

04/11/2013 at 08:20

Emmy - it must be so hard to restrain Boyska from his normal running.

I saw a man walking a wolfhound this morning, don't think the dog had ever seen a runner before, it just wanted to stop and watch me, didn't bark or anything but refused to walk with it's owner.

04/11/2013 at 08:31

Shades - It's awful and I feel so bad. This morning I walked him and then went for a run. He saw he leave and come back and completely blanked me as if to say: I know what you did.... without me!

04/11/2013 at 08:51

Hi all.  I'm back at work today after a week off, and haven't done much running.  In the last 10 days or so I've only trotted around 2 parkruns and did a 6-miler yesterday.  I'm not feeling that motivated at the moment, so need some plan or other to see me through to Xmas.

Did anyone watch the NYC marathon yesterday?  I was getting a bit frustrated with the commentary as they weren't mentioning the World Marathon Majors title, which I felt was an important part of the race and would have thought certainly influenced Kebede's tactics as it was worth $500K to him.  In the last few miles, they were saying "Kebede hasn't got a chance of winning the race" (I'm paraphrasing), but for the WMM title he didn't need to.

Jeptoo certainly finished strongly though, and she had to win the race to also win the women's WMM title.  She did the first half in 1hr16mins and the second half in 1hr9mins to win.  After her Great North Run win the other week, I think you could safely say that she's running well

04/11/2013 at 13:08

Hi Big G - welcome back from your hols.   Fully recovered from DMV?   Perhaps enter a couple of races to get you motivated?  

I entered a 100 km race, that motivates a training plan to be written.

No, didn't see New York marathon, not available on any channels I have.   I expect they focus on the race of the day which is what makes for more exciting TV coverage.

04/11/2013 at 14:16

Shades, yes I've recovered from DMV.  I'm in need of a bit of a detox after last week though

04/11/2013 at 16:49

How did you get on in the parkruns, Big G? Two in 10 days isn't bad going.

I did a 14.5 mile run yesterday, longest I've run since VLM. Legs feel OK so hoping to keep building the long run up gradually before I start training properly in a couple of weeks.

Feeling much colder on runs now but still not had to wear gloves yet.

We don't get Eurosport so couldn't watch NY but was able to track someone at work who did it. They had mile splits for every mile which was quite impressive.

04/11/2013 at 16:57

Big G - I watched NY yesterday, I've only just got Eurosport and they went and showed it on normal telly as well. I found it a bit boring actually, I like it when they're fighting it out to the finish line. I would love to do NY one day.

Shades - what did you think to NY when you did it?

Keith - well done, hope your hamstring is ok now

SK - well done on your long run and glad your legs are ok

Emmy - poor Boyska, claws crossed it won't be long before he's out running with you again. Have you got a race planned for next week?

04/11/2013 at 16:59

Molly - Yep. Its a double marathon this weekend. The plan was for him to run a few laps with me and then take a break whilst i finish but at the moment its all looking a little doubtful

Fastkoala - Well done on the run.  I was following a friend too and it was a good way of tracking every split!

Shades - which 100km race have you entered? an irish one?

04/11/2013 at 17:03

I did a 10.5 off road race on Sunday. I started off at the back and so could only go past people, it was great I didn't go past that many though! It was windy here too and despite 87 clips in my hair I had stray bits wafting all over the place. I did 38k on the bike on Fri then 80k on the bike on Sat so my legs were a tad tired on Sun. I ran in my new 3/4 leggings - Gore, I've never tried them before but they were very comfy. 

04/11/2013 at 17:04

Emmy - double never done that (and doubt I ever will!!) Where is it?

04/11/2013 at 17:07

Emmy, hope Boyska is OK. My mum's dog had gastro enteritis last week and had to go on a drip. My mum was very relieved she is insured as vets bills totalled 1500 pounds!!

04/11/2013 at 17:42

SK - I just trotted around them both quite slowly.  Parkrun have a promotion on at the moment where if you do 8 parkruns in 8 weeks (last weekend was the second week) you're in with a shout of one of two London marathon places, so I'm trying to go for that.  It will be very long odds that I get a place, but you've got to be in to win it.  Sod's law is that my wife, who is also doing the 8 parkruns, will get the London place when she doesn't even want it

MM - yes, the Men's was quite boring, but I think that is because Kebede was just doing what he had to do to win the World Marathon Majors title.  Bascially, all he had to do was keep Kiprotich behind him and he was assured of the $500K.  This was a big part of the race I felt, but the commentators didn't even mention it.  I enjoyed the Women's race, as Jeptoo had to win the race to claim her WMM title, and she did even though at one point she was over 3 minutes back.

Shades - I just read back your previous message and to be honest, DMV took it out of me and I'm still licking my wounds (mentally) at the moment so I'm still pondering what to do next.  I know this probably sounds pathetic to all you who do many marathons!  I do have a couple of halfs in Feb/March next year, but nothing planned before that.  I'm half thinking about doing the Club Championship next year, but I can't look into that properly until the races are published.

04/11/2013 at 19:09

Hi Shades, getting into the converstion a bit late. Hope I'm not butting in. I was just wondering if you are still advocating the 3 or maybe 4 runs a week for marathon training?

A friend has written me a similar plan for Edinburgh Marathon next year, which will be my first. I'm hoping to do under 4 hours, but in reality I think I would be happy with finishing.

05/11/2013 at 07:27

Big G - well it must have been a good holiday if you need a bit of recovery time.  

Don't be disappointed about DMV, marathons are like that, you just have to learn from it and move on and set the next running goal/challenge.

SK - well done on your longest run for a while.  It'll be interesting to see if you find training for this marathon easier than the first.

molly - I'm not a fan of the biggest city marathons because of the congestion but despite that I loved NY, it's so interesting running through the 5 boroughs including the Bronx and I loved it.   And then while you're in NY there is the shopping

Emmy - there are 2 100km races in Ireland next year, I'm doing this one http://www.forestmarathon.com/

Uluru - yes, if you PM me your email address I'll send you a copy of the 2 plans.   And you're not butting in, all welcome here

05/11/2013 at 07:35

Keith - good luck with the GUCR entry. Have I told you that you're crazy lately? Will you be at Fireworks this weekend?

Molly - it's an Enigma event. 2 marathons in 2 days. B took Boyska to the vet yesterday and she said that its taking its time to heal We did 2 miles together this morning (and i did a few more alone) but he didnt want to come home bless him!

Shades - Ooh - that looks interesting! Galway is a beautiful part of Ireland to run in.

Slowkoala - Thanks. We're looking at insurance at the moment but the issue we've found is that there is no website like: comparethemarket so its a lot of manual work to find a decent one that doesnt have a huge excess. How is your mum's pooch doing now?

NY is definitely on my bucket list to do. I'm tempted to try for the ballot next year but worried in case I actually get in

Going out this morning I had a fright. I ran the first few miles alone before picking up Boyska on a loop. I decided to go on a path that has a cut through between two bits of woodland near our home. It's pitch black, cant see more than 5m in front of me and I hear a panting and noise from the bushes. After screaming like a girl and wishing that Boyska was there - another runner pops out of the undergrowth cutting through the same bit of woods. I've never seen another runner there and this one wasnt wearing any hi-viz, headtorch etc.... I was wondering how he didnt fall over with all of the tree branches!

05/11/2013 at 10:28

Hello all - just a quick check-in from me. Not much running going on i'm afraid. I built up my mileage too quickly going from 20 miles per week to about 40 instantly. Very dumb and I developed an ankle niggle which then became a calf strain /facepalm!

It's 18 weeks to Brighton on 2nd December so I want to start a training plan about then. I have just returned from holidays and wanted to start building up base miles (slowly!) again in preperation for that date but ....

I'VE GOT A COLD! So frustrating. I'm seriously thinking about getting a flu jab. 

Shades - would 25 miles per week and then build up 3-6 miles per week be a good starting point for me? 

05/11/2013 at 13:05

Emmy - can you not use an insurance broker to find you a good deal?

We went to NY with a sports tour company, wasn't cheap but was well worth it as included all airport and race transfers and guaranteed race entry.   Had to buy an extra suitacase for the shopping.

Maybe you scared the other runner too!

Hello Khanivore - I wondered how you were getting on with your training.

If you are now injury free AND when your cold is gone, then yes you could start at 25 mpw as long as you are running slowly.    A flu jab won't stop you getting a cold.

Why do I get the feeling that I need to tie your shoelaces together to stop you doing too much too quickly?

05/11/2013 at 13:12

Haha i will do my best. Can I inrease mileage at 20% per week until I hit 40 miles per week perhaps?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.