Shades Marathon Training

63,221 to 63,240 of 66,401 messages
05/11/2013 at 13:05

Emmy - can you not use an insurance broker to find you a good deal?

We went to NY with a sports tour company, wasn't cheap but was well worth it as included all airport and race transfers and guaranteed race entry.   Had to buy an extra suitacase for the shopping.

Maybe you scared the other runner too!

Hello Khanivore - I wondered how you were getting on with your training.

If you are now injury free AND when your cold is gone, then yes you could start at 25 mpw as long as you are running slowly.    A flu jab won't stop you getting a cold.

Why do I get the feeling that I need to tie your shoelaces together to stop you doing too much too quickly?

05/11/2013 at 13:12

Haha i will do my best. Can I inrease mileage at 20% per week until I hit 40 miles per week perhaps?

05/11/2013 at 13:31

Yes, you can.  But if you're tired, get a niggle then ease up for a few days.

05/11/2013 at 13:34

Anyone going to a bonfire tonight? I love all that anti-filling toffee, jacket potatoes, sparklers etc. Shame they don't have it in Italy. I did wonder about having my own but I don't fancy getting done for arson. 

05/11/2013 at 13:35

Got it. I was going to try P&D up to 55 miles plan this year. What do you think about this plan? Main reason was to introduce some speed work. You can see it here but I am sure you are already familiar with it:

http://www.derekleewo.com/djapps/trainingPlans/viewPlan/5/

05/11/2013 at 15:28

Not for me tonight molly, had a family one on Sunday and over 100 Beavers, Cubs and Scouts last night, so I am bonfired out 

tried a run last week was was still to tired, wil try again tonight.  really need to get back training for my double on the 4 and 5th Jan 

05/11/2013 at 16:20

Me neither Molly, but did go to a friend's firework party on Saturday so got my fill then. They had a lovely hog roast and maggot racing for the kids!

Good to hear from you Khani! I looked at P&D for London but think I'm going to go with an adapted Shades plan. I'm going to vary the speed sessions a bit and try and do more chunks of marathon pace for my long runs. I had the flu jab last week. Have had it for the last few years and it seems to keep the flu away. 

Emmy, my parents' dog is on the men's now but has an even fussier diet now. I swear her food bill is more than theirs!

05/11/2013 at 17:28

molly - no bonfire night for me either.

S3200H - sorry to hear you're still below par after your virus.

SK - maggot racing sounds fun.   Hog roast yummy too.

Khanivore - I think that might be the plan that Keith used for his sub 4 (is that correct Keith?).

I think it's tough with the amount of speed sessions....but you need a base first and a good strong base.

05/11/2013 at 17:39

Molly - No bonfire night here either. We normally do a big fire ourselves (live in isolated spot) but weather horrendous at moment so will leave it. My birthday on Sunday so plan is do do it that night instead!

Went for 10k potter this morning and was awful. Was running like dead rat and nearly stopped to walk!! No energy at all. Everyone falling ill with colds so hope it's not that. Chlidren circling around me like four germ ridden sharks... it is just a question of time before they get me  

Hi Khani!

05/11/2013 at 18:17

Shades I don't think I have a good strong base. Should I just re-do the shades plan i used for London? 

SK - mind sharing the adapted shades plan?

Hi  Mama!

No Bonfire for me either. 

06/11/2013 at 07:18

mamafox - it's this weekend isn't it for your marathon?   Just a few days to remain germ free...try and distract the circling sharks and ban them to their rooms!

Khanivore - why don't you just focus on building up the miles until the end of December.   No worries about cadence, no strides, no change of running style just good honest easy running. 

Then assess your level of fitness, health etc. and the time you have available for training  with work and family commitments and then choose your marathon plan.

Mild here this morning, nice run in a gentle drizzle.  Was so hungry when I got home, food never tasted so good

06/11/2013 at 07:30
SHADES wrote (see)

Khanivore - why don't you just focus on building up the miles until the end of December.   No worries about cadence, no strides, no change of running style just good honest easy running. 

Then assess your level of fitness, health etc. and the time you have available for training  with work and family commitments and then choose your marathon plan.

Do you ever get the feeling that your words go in one ear and out the other?

Mama - Are you ready for this weekend?

5 miles for this morning. 3 with boyska, 2 without. It's really difficult to know what to wear as the weather seems to change daily! It's still strong winds but it felt mild this morning at 8c where as yesterday it was '4!

Molly - no fireworks for me either but I did have the nursery rhyme: remember, remember the 5th of november in my head all day! Are you all ready for your race this weekend?

Slowkoala - that sounds familiar Boyska is on a raw food diet and it's perfect for him but the bills are a little high.... saying that last night B didnt want to have fish so the dog had a prime cod filet! At least he enjoyed it!

06/11/2013 at 08:14

Shades - Yes, marathon is this Saturday and Emmy - No, I am not ready for it!  At time of typing am still germ free but last couple of runs have not been great. Was on fab form for Cardiff and week following but did long run too soon after (as wanted to "get it done") and developed a couple of niggles since then. Only a month ago but feel have really lost form. Am not doing any more runs now.. have had a think and best way forward is to (a) Avoid all possible contact with children and (b) Carb load to Olympic levels. May also do (c) Follow Shades' instructioons and buy new shoes That should give me best possible chances of being on form for Saturday!

On another note, Emmy - I had a look around and eventually ordered one of those beast foam rollers off Amazon  (In orange too ) Found on the UK site for £34 but obviously postage costs to get over here so found same thing on Amazon France at the gobsmacking price of 101 Euros.. can you believe it?!  Ordered UK one to a friend who is coming out in January. She is under strict instructions not to leave the country without it!

Are you up for your double? - and on that diet hopefully Boyska will be on form for it too!

06/11/2013 at 08:26

Mama - Dont worry - it could all be taper madness? I normally have crap runs on thursday and friday but saturday will be fine. Great news about the OROD. You should have let me know and I could have picked you one up and shipped it from Belgium. A lot cheaper!

I'm ready for the double as much as i'll ever be. I will also be seeing a lot of familiar faces so it'll be nice.

Boyska's paw is healing slowly but he's getting back there. He wont be joining me on the course as i cant find anyone to look after him for a few laps whilst i finish so instead - i'll run him in the morning, go to the race and he'll stay with my parents (who will spoil him rotten) and then come back and walk him to make sure that he's getting enough exercise. He's currently snoring by my feet after our 3 miler this morning so hopefully he's using up some of his energy.... we need it - he's destroyed the garden

06/11/2013 at 08:33

Shades - Aye sorta the plan i tried once. Kinda hard to fit in properly with work and other stuff so resorted to the far more sensible plan. Namely find someone you know to pace you Failed first time worked on second attempt.

Emmy - Nope next enigma for me is quadzilla due to the summer long dodgy hip and not entering others.

Pending a certain ballot i'll be worrying about plans for next year over the weekend probably.

06/11/2013 at 08:47

Keith - At least i'll get to see you at the quad I'd offer to pace you but im a complete sissy during the night. It's one reason ive chosen not to enter any night races!

06/11/2013 at 08:53

Quote button isn't working for me again...but.

Khani, sorry, but I have to laugh.  Even I know that going from nothing to 40 miles per week is a recipe for disaster.  I know you said you went from 20 miles per week, but weren't you out for a couple of months before that?  Anyway, good luck.  I saw on another thread you started that you're entering an Ironman as well, so good luck with that too.

I've also looked really closely at P&D and I'm not sure if it's for me.  There aren't many 20 milers in there (from memory I think there are 2 or 3).  Also, the injury list seems fairly long but I expect that it is due to people overdoing it, which is what you seem to like doing!

06/11/2013 at 08:56

Big G -I think the key to P&D is preparation and having a solid mileage base already established. the most people I know who have been injured was directly related to how many miles they had in their legs to begin with.

06/11/2013 at 09:12

I sort of used the P&D for Manchester last year, by that I mean i did the distance but not the pace it asked, to follow that that plan I feel you need to have been running at least 3 of years injury free.  It again showed me that if you put in the distance with 1 tempo run a week in the last 6 weeks the speed will come. 

I understand your thoughts on 20 milers Big G but with the distance you are doing on that plan you dont need to do many.  I also thought that the taper weeks millage was to high so I dropped that a bit 

Got out for a nice slow 5 mile last night and it felt great   I think I did a Khani last week and just went to fast after 8 weeks with no running

06/11/2013 at 09:20

S32 - yes, I think you're right about the reason for the lack of 20 milers in P&D.  For me though, it's more of a confidence thing about getting them in the bag.  Also, on P&D if you have one "bad" 20-miler where you have to stop short for whatever reason, or you're ill on that that day, it doesn't seem to leave much time.

I too have been thinking of using as it as the basis to get up to 55 miles but dropping the pace, similar to what you mentioned.  We'll see.  I still need to get back into things properly following DMV the other week!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.