Shades Marathon Training

63,241 to 63,260 of 66,202 messages
06/11/2013 at 11:34

Mamafox, 4 kids all with the lurgy? Can't you send them away somewhere?! Is it a local marathon on Saturday. Enjoy the carb loading! I've just discovered cinnamon & raising bagels - reckon they would be perfect pre race fuel. Nom nom!

S32/Big G, I asked on the P&D thread a few weeks ago re the 20 milers and most of them seem to adapt the plan to do more of these. The guy in my club who won the Newcastle marathon only did a couple of 20 milers in the build up. He usually does loads more. But I guess he already has a high level of fitness and lots of miles in the legs!

Khani, not finalised my plan yet but happy to share if you message me your email. I agree with Shades re building up with lots of easy miles this year. I'm not doing any more races this year except club time trials (& maybe odd parkrun!) When's the Ironman?!

Emmy, good luck for the double - is this the one you have done before?

Shades, maggot racing was fun, except some of the little blighters managed to crawl into my son's can of coke!

06/11/2013 at 13:08

mamafox - I agree with Emmy, it's just a touch of taper madness you have, all will come right on the day.

I hope your friend doesn't have to take that foam roller through airport security...might take some explaining

Emmy - Boyska has destroyed your garden?!!   I expect he thinks it's his garden, that's why.

Keith - it can be tough being paced though.

Good luck with the ballot.

Big G - if I'm doing high mileage I don't do any long runs, by long runs I mean over about 13 miles as I don't need to.   But I agree doing a few runs of 20 miles can give confidence to your training.

Khanivore -  you failed to mention the Ironman!

S3200H - glad you've started to run again and are feeling OK

SK - I'd be more worried the maggots got onto my hog roast.

06/11/2013 at 13:24

Shades - as a matter of interest, what do you term as a high weekly mileage?  55 would be high for me currenty, but would you class 55 as high?  Obviously, for non-runners 55 is a lot (non-running friends can't comprehend my relatively modest 35 mile average week), but I wouldn't necessarily consider 55 being a high mileage week when I see others regularly doing 70+.  What do you think?

When you say 13 miles is a long training run, is this part of a 70+ mile standard week for example?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm just interested in different people's terms of reference for this stuff!

06/11/2013 at 13:36

Big G - High mileage for me is over 70 mpw and at that level I don't think I'd do any run over 12 or 13 miles.   But I would be running twice a day some days.

At Xmas I have a week off work and apart from cooking a turkey lunch on one day, my time is my own.   As I'll be able to rest more that week too I'm planning to do 90-100 miles, but I will run 15 miles a day, 10 in the morning, 5 to 6 at night, for 6 days...on the 7th day I shall rest

I'm not suggesting anyone else should do that sort of mileage but it's the only thing that works for me

Edited: 06/11/2013 at 13:36
06/11/2013 at 15:35

Mamafox - I'm doing a mara on Sunday as well. It's the fancy medal one

No chance of a PB as I'm very tired, have a couple of cold sores in my nose (very painful) and the hotel won't make porridge for me on Sun morn. What can I have instead for breakfast? Will weetabix do? I don't want to eat a croissant for breakfast

06/11/2013 at 16:25

Interesting stuff, Shades.  Thanks

06/11/2013 at 17:14

molly - how about muesli?   That's my preferred pre race breakfast.

06/11/2013 at 18:26

Molly - can you not take a porridge pot with you and just ask for hot water?

06/11/2013 at 23:20

Im not planning to do a ironman until 2015!

Emmy that's a little unfair! I've ONLY done easy running all year. 

After VLM I've done may 125 miles, june 103 miles, July 53 miles, august 15 miles (Ramadan), September 70 miles and October 40 miles (injured + holidays).

100% easy pace.

07/11/2013 at 05:33

Shades and Emmy - Thank you for reassurance re taper madness. Have decided not to run now before Saturday but am bouncing to go out so I think that must be a good sign!

Slowkoala - No, all children are not struck down with illness. The two year old has a tummy bug (Hoping fervently I don't get that though) and the rest of them are just sniffly and LOOKING germy. I admit I am a little paranoid but as this is my one marathon this year - couldn't do Nantes in spring as injury a couple of weeks before - I just don't want it to be doomed from the start! Those bagels sound lovely. I don't think I've ever seen a bagel in France though and personally am only capable of rustling up a fairy cake.

Molly - Those medals looked beautiful. Cognac (yes SK, my local race) had a classic sort of medal last year but made up for that with a really nice bottle of Cognac. They also gave you a cutting of a local vine to plant. I made a big fuss of this when we got home, carefully planting it, going on about how it would be a living souvenir of my first marathon, threatening children with all sorts of horrible things if they walked on it etc. I then forgot to water it over the summer and it died

07/11/2013 at 07:10

Khanivore - easy running it is then for you

- bit early for Xmas isn't it

Emmy - I don't think they sell instant porridge in Italy.

molly - if you have a really good Thermos flask you could make the porridge at home and put it in a preheated flask.

mamafox - I do hope you stay germ free, only a day or so to go.   Hope the little one is better soon too.

LOL at the vine

07/11/2013 at 07:23

Okey dokey Easy running is fun 10:30 min/mile sound about right? Or 10 min/mile?

07/11/2013 at 07:59

Khanivore wrote (see)

Im not planning to do a ironman until 2015!

Emmy that's a little unfair! I've ONLY done easy running all year. 

After VLM I've done may 125 miles, june 103 miles, July 53 miles, august 15 miles (Ramadan), September 70 miles and October 40 miles (injured + holidays).

100% easy pace.

Khani - I guess I get that impression because you're always looking for a quick fix and don't actually listen to the advice from the more knowledgable runners (Shades, people from HADD thread etc.). HADD didnt give you the benefits quick enough so you moved to something else, then you post other things about Ironman etc. Each to their own but don't expect to not get some ribbing because you change your mind so often.

I remember at the start of this year that there was nothing easy about your runs. You were going full pelt for Brighton (i think that was your marathon?).

07/11/2013 at 08:18

Khanivore - 10:30 and there is nothing to be gained at this stage by going faster.

Morning Emmy - are you well?

07/11/2013 at 08:50

Emmy - your memory is similar to mine regarding Khani, although it was London he ran earlier this year.  Khani, the only other thing I'd add to Emmy's summary is that I remember you beng injured quite a lot, so please take it easy!

I went out last night (I saw the comedian Ed Bryne; I wasn't expecting to really like the show although it ended up being one of the best comedy shows I've seen, but that's an aside).  I don't know if this counts as a "running post" but driving the 45mins home after the show I was half thinking about going out for a run when I got back at 11:30pm.  I don't know why but I liked the idea of getting out there in the slight drizzle and donning the head torch.  

I didn't actually go out for a run though, so this may rank as one of the most pointless posts on this entire thread

07/11/2013 at 09:02

Shades - I've had a bad morning but wrote off the 2 hours of running/getting home and now fully positive for the day ahead! It's awful weather here at the moment and Boyska pulled me over trying to say hello to a family of donkeys

Big_G - How was Ed Byrne? I love running with my headtorch but i'm a complete sissy. I scream at badgers that come out from the bushes!

Dont worry about pointless - i'm sure that mine are up there too :P

07/11/2013 at 09:55

Emmy - Ed Byrne was funny.  His current show is basically about him recently going into his 40s and what that entails.  In one part, he was talking about the fact that he went to the doctors as him and his wife agreed he should have a vasectomy, but the female doctor was trying to talk them into using different forms of contraception.  It was hilarious, but very rude/crude  In another part, he had to have a hernia operation due to the fact that he carelessly moved a small pile of magazines with his foot  

It doesn't sound funny re-reading that, but it was a great show.

07/11/2013 at 13:19

Big G - thinking about running is important too...so not a pointless posting.

Emmy - well I guess Boyska has never seen a donkey before and these new strange animals had to be investigated.

Good weather here at the moment.

07/11/2013 at 13:22

Big G - I'm the queen of pointless non-running stuff on here

Emmy - no porridge pots left unfortunately, I'll have to get some when I go see my dad over new year. hope your day has improved (())

Shades - i've got some Dorset muesli so I can take that then

Mamafox - I kill all plants off, i've got a black finger which is a ahame as I do like plants.

Last run for me this evening pre-marathon. I'm sulking because I wanted to order a wetsuit and I measured myself....and according to the size chart I'm an XL. So from Monday I'm going on a super strict diet and I'm going to lose a stone and buy a medium.

07/11/2013 at 14:01

Shades - I think that's part of my problem.  It feels like I think about running all the bloomin' time!  I'm at work and have my training plan printed out on the wall, and I always find I'm looking at it whilst particpating in some dull conference call or other.  I must check this thread at least 10 times a day and I avidly refresh my podcasts app on my phone on a Wednesday, which is when the Marathon Talk episodes are published.  So I am either thinking about running, watching what I am eating/drinking because of running, reading about running or listening about running what seems like all the time.  Occasionlly, I actually do some running

MM - I sympathise, but I had the opposite issue (don't hate me....!  ;) ).  I have kept a pair of jeans from when I was the wrong side of 17st and was horrifed when I held them up the other day.  They looked absolutely huge!

Edited: 07/11/2013 at 14:02
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.