Shades Marathon Training

64,401 to 64,420 of 67,250 messages
23/02/2014 at 20:09
Evening Shadies.

Mamafox/Shades - interesting to read about your stretching and squats. Squats seem to be very popular right now and 100 a day is very impressive! I've decided that what I need are regular strengthening exercises and have been compiling a list which includes bridges, side clams, single leg squats and some leg lifts. I'll start tomorrow

Snapdragon, well done on the 16 miles. Good that you felt so good at the end. Hope you and Khani have a good Silverstone HM.

I managed 6 miles today. My IT band did start to feel tight after 4-5 miles but I think it is improving (just at a slower rate than I would hope). I'm really missing racing though - especially as all the build up races that I did last year for VLM are all happening now.

My OH who has never been that enthusiastic about running, started doing short runs a few weeks ago and he also managed 6 miles today (but not with me!) He has also started having knee pain and it seems to be ITB too! I think he needs to go and get some proper shoes (rather than ones that looked nice at sports direct). Plus he starts off too fast. But I'm trying not to lecture him
24/02/2014 at 07:21

mamafox - my stretching routine is no more than 5 minutes so 10 minutes is really good.

Big G - Ceal has been on RW forum for at least 10 years and she's an astounding runner.

Emmy - I hope Dave R is paying you for your modelling in his photo

Snapdragon - I'm so pleased you managed the 16 miles and it's not that easy to do 14 and then talk yourself into doing a couple more.  I take it the foot is OK?

SK - that's a good idea to design your own programme of strengthening exercises.   I'm going to introduce a few single leg squats but not for a few weeks after my knee injury.  I think they are tough to do

LOL at your OH now taking up running.   Nearly all men start running like that, as fast and as they can, women are the complete opposite.   I guess it's hard not to lecture

Had a lovely run yesterday, very hilly, ran through a village/hamlet I've never been to before even though it's only a few miles from me through Devon lanes.   Felt my knee slightly when I started running this morning but it's OK.

Edited: 24/02/2014 at 07:22
24/02/2014 at 08:19

Shades - you know what... he isnt ;) I should at least be asking for some sort of race entry

Sounds like a lovely place to run and so close to you!

24/02/2014 at 10:33

Big_G - Stigs got some skills! ,reckon he spent at least 3/4 of the lap not going forwards, must have been great fun though. That 6 wheeled Merc was something else.

snapdragon - Well done on the 16, it's great when you feel like you can just tag an extra couple of miles on because you can/want to.

Shades - I enjoy finding new stuff that's close by that I didn't know existed. There's a windmill about 2 miles from my house that I stumbled upon. Been lost on a few housing estates before as well though, all good fun and gets the miles in.

Finally did a parkrun on Saturday, didn't really plan it but at 8am decided to go. Went to the wrong car park (it's where it used to start!), had time to do a 1 mile easy run before & then headed over to the start. It was Delamere Forest so was expecting a few undulations & mud and wasn't let down ,I started to far back and the first part is narrow & muddy so was tricky getting past people but soon opened up. Great course but 5k felt like a long way in a 'race' , came in at 23:50  (23:43 on the garmin) which isn't to shabby and a PB (only 5k i've done though) so will have to work on going quicker. Sub 23 shouldn't be to hard (he says), sub 22 though will be tough.

Developed a foot problem sometime last week,  about an inch back from the toes across the top just feels like a bruise, no obvious swelling or bruising though so not sure what it is or what caused it. Bit of a sore throat as well so skipped my long run yesterday & hope to do it either tonight or tomorrow night.

24/02/2014 at 12:54

Shades - where was that run you mentioned?

KK - great news on getting to a local parkrun.  I haven't been to one for a few weeks, but I do enjoy them.  Like you say, you've got something to aim for to try and beat now.  Regarding your foot issue, could it be laces slightly too tight?  

snapdragon - well done for getting that LSR done.  I had something similar a few weeks ago on a 16 miler, where I felt good at the end.  It's funny as looking back I feel on that one run I had a bit of a breakthrough with my training as it was the first time that I genuinely felt I could have gone on for a few more miles if I had wanted to.  Good luck for Silverstone  Have you got a target in mind?

SK - hopefully you'll be back to racing soon!

--

Back at work for me today....booooo!  I did get a few miles in on my week off though, so that was good.  I got 41 miles done, all at a steady pace, which I was quite pleased with after my half last Sunday.

I've got a sports massage today after work so we'll see what he has to say.  I'm hoping I won't hear the dreaded "stop running" words!  Presuming he doesn't say that, my next Half is also on Sunday at Bideford.

24/02/2014 at 13:27

Emmy - you should at least get a free race entry (every year) for that.

KK - I love investigating new routes too, and where I was yesterday there are so many little lanes it's easy to get lost, there are some tough hills there too though.

Well done on the Park run, good time.   Hope the foot pain comes to nothing, maybe a little sprain or bruise?

Big G - Pulsford, tried to Google map it but it doesn't exist as far as Google is concerned.

Run to Denbury then take road for Woodland, at the junction (Bramble Oak X) go straight on, there's a long downhill into Pulsford and a good hill to get out the other side too, all runnable though.  At the next junction I was going to go to Knowle (never heard of that either) but a big flood on the road stopped me so I ran to Woodland (another good hill there) through Woodland, past the church then right at T junction.  Down a long gentle hill to T junction then left up another long hill and I turned around at the top of that hill, think that road goes to the Rising Sun.   Retraced my route, 15 miles all together.

I'm sure your sports masseuse won't stop you running but he should let you know if it's anything you need to do something about.

Edited: 24/02/2014 at 13:28
24/02/2014 at 13:42

Nice route there Shades - I'll try and have a look for it.  What's next for you race wise?

Yes, I don't think he'll say stop running.  Apart from a day or so after my half last weekend, the issue does seem to go away when I run.

--

I'm looking ahead a bit, but I have a 20-mile race quite soon.  Any thoughts on how to run that one?  Shall I run it at 9min/mile (3 hours), which is my current target MP, or go out a bit quicker and see what happens?

This is where McMillan falls down a bit as it presumes that people have trained for the higher distances but off of last week's Half time McMillan suggests 7:47 pace which, to be honest, seems too quick.

Part of me thinks it would be a good confidence boost for me to get around at target MP (if I manage it!!), but another part of me thinks I may as well try and do my best and see what happens and if I blow up, so what?  It's not an "A-race" for me, although it is part of the club championship.  I understand it's a flat course.

Any thoughts?

Edited: 24/02/2014 at 13:44
24/02/2014 at 16:17
Emmy, what are you modelling for? Is Boyska involved?

Big G, I did a 20 mile race last year about 6 weeks before the VLM. I dithered as well re pacing but as I'd already got a few 20 milers done, I decided to run it a bit faster than MP. My MP was 8mm and I did the 20 mile race 15 secs faster per mile (7:45 mm). In hindsight, it could have been risky but my thinking was that I'd be exhausted at the end either way and at least by going a bit faster, I could tell myself that 26 miles at a slower pace would be do-able. I know some people do 20 milers at a variable pace, eg easy then MP in final 10 miles but I prefer to race at a consistent pace.
Edited: 24/02/2014 at 16:18
24/02/2014 at 16:33

Slowkoala - http://www.hermesrunning.com/ We are on the front page...

Big G - I know people that do what Slowkoala does and does it at race pace/slightly faster to give them some sort of comfort for race day. That might be worth considering.

24/02/2014 at 17:01

Emmy - great photo  definitely should get free entry for that

SK - I PMd you ...but I was too late, sorry!

Shades - that 3 countries in 3 days sounds absolutely exhausting!

KK - great to hear you've done a park run too, hope your foot is ok now

Big G - hope your sports massage isn't too painful

mamfox - I reckon you'll definitely finish under 3.50. I really believe you can crack it in Barcelona.

Post-marathon blues together with not being able to clip in on the bike making me feel a useless twerp. I went out on Sat on my bike with my double sided pedals on and had one foot clipped in and one not, must have looked like a right loony. 

24/02/2014 at 17:14
Love the pic Emmy, but where's Boyska?! You should definitely get free race entry as payment.

Thanks Molly, I just found the message. Post marathon blues normal but not good; when's your next big race? If it makes you feel less useless, my son came back from skiing on Saturday and said that he'd worn my running sunglasses most of the time instead of his new ski goggles. Turns out he hadn't taken the plastic protective film off the goggles - explains why his vision wasn't great

You were dead right re not needing a coat in Rome and Khani said the same thing. But warm weather is so alien right now that I swapped my light rain coat for a padded warm coat in the car on the way to the airport! Have you ever done the Rome marathon?
24/02/2014 at 17:34

SK - yes it's my nearest big marathon - I've done it six times but giving it a miss this year. It's definitely one for your "to do" list as it's like running round an open air museum. The only reason I wouldn't recommend it is if someone has dodgy knees or ankles as they take some beating on the cobbles but I personally don't have any problems with them.  Could be a cheap option for a Shadie outing 2015???

24/02/2014 at 17:40
Sounds good for 2015 but you might want to use your GFA time that you will run later this year to get into London?
24/02/2014 at 22:16

I listened to 2x marathon talk during my long run and the first of the two had Emmy taking 4 out of 5 podium spots lol. What a celeb!

i managed 20.8 miles yesterday. Didn't take any gels. Felt pretty knackered but ok. It was a big relief being able to run it after crashing and burning at 16 miles last time I tried. Now I know it was due to the travelling etc! I plodded it at a slow 10:25 avg min/mile. My goal was to finish which I did Even managed a 4 mile recovery run tonight after work with no major niggles etc.

24/02/2014 at 22:17

Big g that fast caterham looked brill

25/02/2014 at 07:23

Big G - Connemara Ultra is my next key race, but I'll probably do a couple of shorter races before then.

Re the 20 miler, there are lots of options.  A 20 mile race is a great distance and a good chance to perfect your running pace for your marathon.  So I think a decide on the day depending on how you feel.  Personally I'd go for PB marathon pace for the first 15 miles then try and pick the pace up for the last 5 miles.

Molly - only one cure for post marathon blues...enter another one. When is your next race?

When is Rome marathon?

Another run on the back roads this morning, I'm loving these lighter mornings, got wet feet as there's quite a bit of surface water.

25/02/2014 at 07:24

Khanivore - well done on your long run, your fitness is improving really well

25/02/2014 at 07:52

I went for my sports massage and was in the torture chair for nearly 1hr15mins!  Ouch!

He suggested a few things:

- cutting down the top of the heal of the shoes I run in to prevent excessive rubbing.
- lots of massage with a golf ball on the sole of my foot, ensuring the foot is warm first.  This will hurt initially.
- doing a stretch to help with the front of my lower legs/shins, which are connected to the achilles. I forget the name of the muscle he mentioned now, but I can look it up. Basically, the stretch involves kneeling down and sitting directly on my heals, and then leaning back to stretch out the front of the lower legs.

Other than that, he  reiterated stretching out my hip flexors to help with perceived tight hamstrings:
- A new one for me and I'm not sure what the stretch is called, but basically it's in the squat position whilst pushing my knees out.
- stretching out the quads (lifting heal to bum, holding foot, and pushing out hips).  I do this regularly anyway, but maybe need to do it more regularly if I can.

He didn't seem overly concerned about the achilles themselves as he mentioned there was only a very small amount of scar tissue and that he would have expected more from someone my age.

This morning is the loosest I've been for a while so the session has definitely helped.  I may go back in 2 or 3 weeks for another go

25/02/2014 at 08:14

Big G - that's good news.  So now you need a little daily routine to stretch all those areas that he's advised.

Since I had my hamstring origin injury I do hip flexor exercises every day and I think it does help the hamstrings.

25/02/2014 at 08:18

Khani - I've not listened to marathontalk in a while as my ipod has corrupted itself I think that was the quad week!

10 tempo miles this morning with the dog... aimed for 7 but then whilst I saw the most amazing sunrise - just had to keep going!

Shades - i do hip flexor exercises to help my hamstrings too... it does seem to work.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.