Shades Marathon Training

64,601 to 64,620 of 66,756 messages
12/03/2014 at 08:13

Morning everyone

Khani - Hope you're feeling better soon.

Mowzer and Keith - Well done on the ultra and the Grizzly.

SK - Thanks for putting up that link. I found it useful for the foam roller videos as I'm never sure if I'm doing that properly.

Shades - Was also wondering about Emmy. I lurk around on her Barcelona thread and she hasn't been on there for a while either.

Regarding your post on nutrition.. How many Jelly babies should I be aiming to eat through the marathon? About 3 per hour?

Last day of antibiotics and as of today I am feeling MUCH better  Yesterday I went out for a slow 9k and although it felt pretty easy, chest still wasn't completely right. Woke up this morning and feel fine but although the plan suggests an easy couple of miles tomorrow I think I will give it a miss and not risk anything.

The other thing is that I have.... erm....... just entered another marathon which will be on the 6th April. I'm not quite sure what came over me

12/03/2014 at 08:22

mamafox - so pleased to hear you are much better but treat yourself gently for the rest of the week.

It's not jelly babies I use but fruit jellies but most sweets of that nature are high in carbs so choose what suits you and what you like and what you find easy to eat..  Yes, 3 an hour is fine.  It's recommended to take 30g to 60g of carbs per hour, but 60g is hard to do.  I also use dates (soft and pitted) and marshmallows, both easy to eat.   And sometimes a little chocolate too but usually I keep that for ultras.

these are my favourite but my local Tesco's have stopped stocking them the last time I looked but bought similar from another shop.  http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=268378919

Congrats on entering another marathon

12/03/2014 at 08:28

Shades - Never thought about marshmallows.. think I could manage eating those while running too. Thank you for the link - I can't get the exact thinng here but will look around for someting similar. Someone brought the Jelly babies over for me and I only have 8 left

12/03/2014 at 08:42
SHADES wrote (see)

I think I only have Tarquin's Trotter email address.

Shades, that's all I have as well.

mamafox, glad you're feeling better!

12/03/2014 at 13:15

mamafox - marshmallows, you need to eat about 5 or 6 for 30g of carbs but they are very easy to eat when running.  Jelly babies about 6 sweets for 30 g.

Big G - I'll email Tarquin if I decide in time to DNS.

12/03/2014 at 14:48

A quick update is that I saw the physio and she has given me a different stretch to do, and I must say I could immediately feel the stretch 'hitting the spot' so I have my fingers crossed.  She has asked me to go back next week and she will consider referring me to a podiatrist if necessary but wanted me to try the stretch first, which is obviously fair enough.

The new stretch is similar to one that I do already where you stand on the edge of a step, lift both heels, lift up the "good leg", and drop the "bad leg" slowly so that the heel is below the level of the step.  She told me to continue to do that, but also suggested bending the knee whilst doing the stretch and this is what hit the spot.  In hindsight I probably should have thought of this myself, but never mind.  She warned it wouldn't get better overnight, but to persevere with doing the stretches longer term.

I asked her if I should stop running and she didn't exactly say "yes", so that's good, although she said "take it easy".  I am going to at least take today and tomorrow off and see how it feels on Friday.  My last run was Saturday....I'm climbing the walls now

I've got a taker for my Glos 20 entry, so I'm definitely not doing it.

12/03/2014 at 15:40

Big_G - good to hear that the Physio was helpful  Fingers crossed the new stretch routine pays off for you.  Sorry to hear that Glos20 is off the radar.

Shades/Mamafox - if I start putting fruit jellies and marshmallows in my race nutrition plan, I've gonna have to bring one of those wheelie suitcase things....

12/03/2014 at 15:53

This is what you need snapdragon

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/resources/images/2128780.jpg?type=articleLandscape

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-24066259

Edited: 12/03/2014 at 15:54
12/03/2014 at 17:23

Big G - let's hope the new stretch does work and good that you will have a follow up visit too.

Pencil Glos 20 in for another year, it's a good race

Snapdragon - I think you've got your fuelling sorted

Big g - LOL, great pic

13/03/2014 at 11:01

Shades, I'm tempted to try those Tesco sweets - but don't they go all sticky? That's what I find with shot bloks when I put them in my back pocket.

Bif G, good news that the physio stretch seems to be working but I think a wise decision not to do the 20 mile race.

Mamafox, that's great that you are fighting fit for Barcelona. I hope you have a great race (and that the MIL's car gets you there safely). But you are MAD to enter another one so soon! I'm intrigued to see how that V50 lady runner gets on at Barcelona who is on the Gobi thread as she's going for sub 3 hours!

Snapdragon, how's the training going?

That link I posted is from James Dunne on twitter. He's a sports coach and is a really prolific tweeter but seems to know his stuff. I tweeted him about ITBS and foam rolling and I got a reply within 10 mins! I'm thinking of doing an evening workshop that he is running in April on running form and mechanics instead of the chi running one as it's cheaper and more local.

It's a beautiful day and I'm not working but not been able to get out for a run yet. My orthotics turned up this morning!!! they were in a bag that I haven't used for weeks. Now have a bit of a dilemma - to keep building miles without them or to start introducing them on some runs??!

13/03/2014 at 12:27

Big_G - nice pic.  I think I did the GNR the same year as him.   He started with the celebs up front.  I started at the back with the slow folk.  I only passed him at about the 12M mark.  He was standing at the side of the road, having a chat to some folks near a pub.  Otherwise, I think he would have beaten me.

SK - training doing fine thanks.  Had a great 19M last weekend, planning 17M this Sunday and then 21M the week after...then taper.  Now your Hunt the Orthotics game is over, what's your plan ?

Shades - yep nutrition sorted.  Resisting the temptation to go to 20M this weekend (see my comment to SK above) as I don't think that'll add anything.  Did 4M at (my version of) MP yesterday.  Just to get me used to how that feels from the off.

13/03/2014 at 12:59

SK - I've never had a problem with those sweets going sticky, they have a bit of sugar coating so I suppose that helps.

I think that workshop sounds ideal and you have some knowledge of the guy too.

LOL at the orthotics turning up!   Maybe take them to the workshop and ask him if you should use them?

Snapdragon - resist the temptation to extend your long run this weekend, all is going well so no need to make life any tougher than it already is!

13/03/2014 at 13:53

Legs still feel like lead and breathing still ragged, but have managed to drag myself out for 3 Recovery Runs this week. Weather beautiful at the moment - even saw a few butterflies today .

Freezer has finally been replaced (after nearly a month ) so I'll be able to stock up on ice cream again .

SlowKoala - when I used shot bloks I always opened the packet and wrapped each one individually in cling film. Took about half a mile to get it undone again .

Big G - hope the new stretches do the trick. I had a sore achilles when my shoe rubbed doing one day of the quad in the snow. Lasted a couple of weeks but I didn't want to just rest so I went for the aggressive cure - stretches on the stairs (I could feel the achilles crunching ) and continued to run long distances but all VERY slow. Absolutely no speed work.

mamafox - good for you entering another marathon - best thing to cure post-marathon blues!

13/03/2014 at 14:22

I'm having an absolute nightmare week at work (which isn't that unusual), but not running seems to be making things worse and I'm a tad grumpy   I am going for a run tomorrow, no matter what.

Mowzer, point taken about the speed work.  I'll be taking it easy for a week or two and then go from there.

13/03/2014 at 14:28

Back is only very slightly sore now - thinking of going out for a gentle run in the lovely sunshine! I reckon i'm still on for the Spitfire 20 this weekend. 

I never did write up my report for the VLM on my blog. I spent some time starting to do that almost a year on lol. It's brought back some amazing memories. Wish i was doing it again to be honest but Brighton will be fun i'm sure.

I am really grateful that my first one was London though. 

13/03/2014 at 14:37

Big G, I noticed in Jan and Feb when I wasn't running much that I really suffered from stress at work. I also shouted at my kids more!  I don't think work was any worse than usual, just that running is a great way to relax and de stress and if you don't have that you suffer more from work pressures. Take it easy on the run tomorrow. My OH does the heal lifts on the stairs every day when cleaning his teeth. He never misses a day and touch wood his achilles troubles seem to have disappeared.

Shades, good idea re the orthotics. Just been out for 5.5 miles and it was sooo hot! I overheated somewhat in my tights and base layer and was probably a bit dehydrated having gone for a coffee first. Definitely shorts and T Shirt weather now.

OH's bday tomorrow. Hope he likes his 10k race entry for May! 

13/03/2014 at 14:48

Good to hear about everyone's running I have just got back from nearly 13 miles in the glorious sunshine. I really pushed myself as an experiment and managed it in 2hrs27 and until the last mile kept speeds pretty average. It helped listening to Marathon Talk and advice on long runs! I forgot one bottle of water so only had 500ml which seemed enough and amazingly did not need to stop for the loo! I took one gel and a couple of dextrose tablets. Exhausted but happy now.

Happy running everyone.

13/03/2014 at 17:32

SK i have only worn shorts since VLM 2013 lol. I have transformed in to one of those 'wears shorts in snow' people. Why you may ask yourself? My running tights seem to have shrunk lol

Lily good running!

Shades - i decided not to run because the back is still a tiny bit sore. I really don't know what i should do. Save the run for tomorrow or just go out tonight? I guess you will say to not run.

14/03/2014 at 07:17

mowzer - are you poorly? Not like you to take so long to recover.

LOL at wrapping each shot blok in cling film, would drive me bonkers trying to unwrap them

You're a woman of steel...crunching achilles

Big G - sorry you're not having a good week, hope you get your stress relief run today.

The joy of running before work is I've already had my de-stress 'fix' before I get to the office.

Khanivore - good news you might still be able to do your race after all.   I can't really help re your back except to say that if it hurts when you run, then don't run.   I would suggest some very gentle stretches before you try to run.

LOL at the tights that may have shrunk!

SK - Happy Birthday to OH, hope he likes his race entry present

Lily - it's lovely to be able to run in good weather and I'm so pleased that you are happy with your marathon training, a lot of runners don't cope so well with the training.

Foggy again this morning but the birds are singing their heads off today, lovely.   And it's Friday

14/03/2014 at 07:37

SK - yes, I am the same when I can't run.  Since taking my running more seriously in the last couple of years I have also ditched my gym membership so I'm resorting to walking on the evenings.  The plus side is that my wife is coming with me, but there are a lot of runners out and about which makes me realise what I'm missing.  Also, I haven't jumped on the scales but I know I've put a couple of pounds on, but I'll get that off again with no problems.

Shades - I am planning on doing a very steady, flat four-miler today to see how it goes.  If I feel anything I can just turn back as it is an out and back route, but I'm hopeful it will be okay.

Generally, the stretches do seem to be helping.  I'm doing them three times a day at the moment and have introduced the one my physio gave me into the little routine.  Without really thinking I went down the stairs a lot easier today, which is encouraging so there is definite progress.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.