Shades Marathon Training

65,061 to 65,080 of 65,140 messages
17/04/2014 at 07:31

Shades - Er 9am saturday keswick park run then 11am same day there is a 5.5 mile race on the edge of cockermouth over a nice hill. Wednesday is keswick round the houses next week which is now a 10k course

17/04/2014 at 07:34
Shades - I have learned not to question or argue with your experience and I know you are right. It was only the one time and the last. I'll be changing shoes, have slowed my runs down and decided not to chase time and rather just get to the end pain free and enjoy the run. If I make good time then great. .
17/04/2014 at 08:04

Iain - I just don't want you to have the painful and disappointing marathon that you had last year.   You've done a great half marathon PB so you're in good shape so with careful training you'll get that marathon PB too. 

is it this weekend you're shoe shopping?

Keith - that's novel, going from one race to another!  No need to change kit either.

17/04/2014 at 10:58
Yes going to go have a look and see what they have available to me. I might go back to asics but not sure yet. .I think something with more cushioning but I'll speak to the assistant. .
My HM PB was a nice birthday prezzie for me and I didn't try get it I just enjoyed the run. ..I think that's the key.
17/04/2014 at 12:28

I'm off to Broadmeadow for Friday and Round the Reservoir on Sunday, but I'm missing the AGM (and handicap) on Saturday as I work in the morning and then in the afternoon it's my granddaughter's 1st birthday party .

Bad note : I think my printer has finally given up the ghost. After making rattling/crunching noises when first turned on and then when first printing, it stopped making any noise but would only take paper in halfway. It wouldn't even turn off from the power button, so I had to turn it off from the socket. It's about 8 years old so probably just worn out .

17/04/2014 at 13:22

Iain - I hope they can find the right shoes for you.

mowzer - printers are so cheap these days, however they rob you for the price of the ink cartridges until the printer is old enough to be able to buy compatibles.

Cake for you at your granddaughter's party then.

BTW - I'm still writing my Connemara report, it's turning into a long rambling tale

17/04/2014 at 13:58

Finally cough and cold have subsided enough for me to go for a run. I thought it would never go. Going for an easy 6 miler in an hour and see how I feel. Halstead is only 3 weeks away and I need to get another 20 miler in and do some sort of taper!

17/04/2014 at 16:38

Bit of a coughing fit when I finished but made it ok. Legs felt good after an enforced 10 day break. Going for a shortened taper, to get some of the mileage in that I have missed. 8 miles or so tomorrow and then around 17 on Sunday.

17/04/2014 at 19:11

Hmm yesterdays run had 515 foot of climb apparently according to strava which is roughly half of the entire windermere marathon. I also wasted 3 mins exactly due to train so its got my ave pace as 9:05. Not bad with several hills in it

A nice 7 odd miler in the morning with a few bumps with two segments on strava targeted for PB setting and then off to the cinema.

17/04/2014 at 22:21

Had a great meal with my GF in Whitstable this evening. Happy to recommend the restaurant, if anyone's down that way!

18/04/2014 at 06:41

Moore - that's a rough old time you've had with that cold.   Feels good when you can finally get back out training and enjoying your food!

Keith - you seem to be back into serious training now

Lovely long weekend at home, 4 days is a nice break from work.

18/04/2014 at 08:28

Shades, me too.   I'm looking forward to the long weekend.  I was quite lucky as I had Thursday PM off as well, as I used some of my TOIL (time off in lieu) I have built up.  I did have to very quickly send a couple of emails this morning, but now all work stuff is turned off  Yesterday, we had a very nice walk around Cockington and also Torquay, and had a meal at Prezzo early evening and I had a couple of Peroni to wash it down  

My wife and I are umming and ahhing about whether to get a trip to Bruges in for May, before she starts getting more waddly (1).  We love Bruges and have been there many times, so we're just wondering whether to go back before the baby arrives.

Moore - glad you're back to the training.

Keith - good to see your training going well too.  What longer race is next for you?

(1) I chose this word carefully.  The definition includes "to walk with short steps, swaying or rocking from side to side, as a duck", which seems to be accurate for my wife

Edited: 18/04/2014 at 08:29
18/04/2014 at 09:48

Big G - Next Ultra would be dartmoor discovery

Shades - Owing to the lateness of getting home from quiz night and also the fact there was frost on the roof a little while ago i shall go for a run later today hen its warmer. I seem to ache a bit from Wed evening run too.... Can go to early cinema screening on monday as well as today handily as my tesco helping hand coupon starts on monday.

18/04/2014 at 11:20

Good to read peoples posts. Sorry I haven't the time to read back and comment..

I returned last night from London/Dorset. I recovered much better than my other marathons and enjoyed the beach/Blue Pool/Brownsea Island with gentle walks. I will eventually write up my VMLM experience and maybe post it on here. Not planning to enter ballot again but plan to possible maybe apply to run Brathay/Windermere next year. I would like a smaller marathon with less travel. Any info from those who have run it would be great! Meanwhile I will keep doing Park Runs, have the Leeds 10k in July and GNR in Sept. I will also look for another 10k for my daughter and I to do in the Autumn.

Thank you so much for all your help and support Shadies and have a lovely Easter

18/04/2014 at 12:08
Keith - I'll see you there. I'm down to be marking people off as they pass the marathon point.
18/04/2014 at 12:45
Afternoon folks. .. Had a nice run this morning, great start to a long weekend. Was nice to run in the morning as apposed to running at night. Knee felt ok slightly tender but nothing I couldn't deal with. ..I do think new shoes will make a difference.
18/04/2014 at 13:54

Hi everyone

Khani - That was a great link about Steven Way. I found it interesting to read his account of the London marathon. Mind boggling when he's casually describing chunks of 5kms done in around 15 minutes!

Big G - Go to Bruges. Now. Before it is too late. Children and interesting city breaks do not go together (Said with feeling)

Lily - Great to hear you haven't given up marathons after all!

Iain - What shoes did you end up getting?

Shades - Am looking forward to your Connemara report.. I love reading race reports (I "save" them up to read when I have a good bit of time to myself!) Still haven't done my Cheverny report - Didn't have time week after then didn't want to post it in amongst all excitement for London so will try and get around to doing that too.  What have you got planned for your long weekend break?

Great 15k done this morning. Sticking to base training and completed my circuit faster at same HR than I did a month or so ago. Gave me a bit of a boost too as sometimes it seems like I'm not improving then I get a run like that and it all seems worthwhile again. In a bit of a dilemma as to whether to send my Garmin back or not. It is behaving impeccably now and I am loathe to risk sending it off where it might get lost/ take ages to come back etc and it may be ok after all. Maybe we were both just having a bad day in Barcelona...

18/04/2014 at 17:25

Khani - just found out via another thread that Steve Way is a fairly regular poster on these forums (posts as Marigold).

Mamafox - we'll definitely be going somewhere and I hope it is Bruges.  I'm trying to bribe Mrs Big_G by telling we'll get an upgrade on the Eurostar so she'll have plenty of room

19/04/2014 at 06:24
Khani - again pinched from another thread but that chap who cheated at VLM? Well, he's made the front page of today's edition of The Sun with a headline of 'Con your marks'.
19/04/2014 at 06:51

Big G - 'waddly' is a lovely word and sounds full of affection. 

At DD you can let me sneak past if I'm just a couple of minutes outside the cut off

Keith - I look forward to seeing you at the Discovery, you'll love it.  The nights are chilly here too, but not frosty, was down to 4 or 5 degrees last night

Lily - I'm so glad you've made a speedy recovery from VLM, that's another sign of increased fitness.   Great news that you are thinking of doing Windermere marathon next year, it's a beautiful course.   I'm not doing Windermere this year, first time I've missed in the last 6 years but I'll be there next year.   Book your accommodation early as it's a very expensive area and very busy at that time of year. 

Iain - that's good news on the run.

mamafox - I'll finish the Connemara report this weekend, I'm home all weekend and enjoying myself having a few days off work.  I've even been putting pictures in on this report!  though that might be a bit of a faff pasting then on here

That's a great training run, base training really works.   My training has been a inconsistent since Connemara, then getting a cold.

I believe Garmins can sometimes be unpredictable and throw a wobbly so up to you!

65,061 to 65,080 of 65,140 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.