Shades Marathon Training

65,081 to 65,100 of 65,142 messages
19/04/2014 at 09:59
Mamafox - I spent the day in Southend with the family so no shoe shopping yet but hope to go today some time. .

I hope to do a longish run today but at a much slower pace. Been running at about 7:40/mile and actually enjoyed it. Knees should be fine. Fingers crossed.
19/04/2014 at 13:24

Well didn't suffer too much doing two races in a morning.

Keswick Parkrun 27:48 with several ups and downs which were telling me my hamstrings are not recovered yet.

Then Isel Cross 5.5 miles with 3 on road then a track for a mile with the later 1/3rd or so up hill more than the slight bit to start with. Then the rest is downhill over fields with  a bit on road at the end. 52:14 for that a couple mins of course best but legs were aching and knackered unlike me. Oddly Garmin claims 7:45 pace for the last 0.4 it measured as the average and i wasn't even going flat out or on the steeper downhill bit.

19/04/2014 at 20:45

8.7 miles for me yesterday, on an undulating course. Day off today, went to watch Maidstone United play in my old home town. My 12 year old son and I have season tickets.

Early start for a 16 miler tomorrow and then family lunch at my Dad's. Hoping to watch some of the football on Sky too.

I am hoping to run Dartmoor Discovery next year, as I owe it big time.

20/04/2014 at 06:42

Iain - hope the knee was Ok for your run

Keith - that's tough, 2 short races, you did well

Moore - have a good long run today, you'll have earned your lunch

20/04/2014 at 19:43

Shade - The knee had settled down but i am ever so conscious of it that i am almost finding an excuse not to run and i dont like it. Really struggling with motivation the past few days despite the fact my race is 5 weeks away..would it be wise to try squeeze in a couple of long runs in 15+ milers. or should i just maintain my fitness and shorter runs!!

just calculated the mileage on my shoes...300 miles since feb so time for a new pair..

Edited: 20/04/2014 at 22:34
21/04/2014 at 02:01

2 weeks since Brighton marathon and I have still not run! (4 days recovery and 10 days cough/cold) I'm going stir crazy.

21/04/2014 at 07:31

Iain - I think you should just run short and easy for the next few days then reassess the knee.

It seems a lot of runners are not getting more than 300 miles per pair now, that's not much good to a marathon runner.

Khanivore - see you shouldn't have wasted those 4 days after your marathon....doing nothing is not recovery.  But I hope you get out running soon, you do seem prone to colds/coughs

Lovely run  this morning on quiet roads, saw a fox

21/04/2014 at 08:28
Just to remind you......VMLM ballot is tomorrow! Not planning to enter myself. Hopefully will enter Windermere.
Not run since London...lots of walking....maybe I will put my trainers on later today...
21/04/2014 at 09:00

Shades - Ill be getting my new shoes today so will go out for an easy 6-7 miles to see how they feel, will get them from sweatshop so have their 30 day return policy which is great. 

If i remember correctly VLM ballot opens around 7am so ill be online to enter..

21/04/2014 at 09:32

Iain - and now you've joined a running club don't forget to ask for discount too.

Lily - at least with Windermere there's no ballot to worry about.

21/04/2014 at 10:03
I didn't realise I got discount for club affiliation. .woohoo.
21/04/2014 at 10:16

Lazy day for me today.Did my 15.75 miles yesterday and have 6 miles scheduled around Regents Park tomorrow morning.

No VLM ballot for me, I just couldn't cope with that amount of people!

Shades, do you remember the first running of the North Dorset Marathon. There were only around 150 people. That's the sort of numbers I prefer! Hope to do that one again next year.

21/04/2014 at 15:19
Got a pair of asics gt 2000.. gone back to the shoes I know. Will test them out in a little while and fingers crossed I can slowly pick up where I left off minus the club sessions.
21/04/2014 at 20:06
Shades. I have had a look at the results for Windermere last year and wondered what support was like later on ? Not expecting whooping crowds but have experienced being near the back of the field and people clearing up!
Don't want to enter vmlm ballot and want to run Windermere....
Thanks
21/04/2014 at 22:14

Big congratulations to Shades for winning the 100MC Challenge Shield for most road marathons in UK and Ireland in the past year

Granddaughter had a lovely party on Saturday with the most enormous pink heart-shaped cake!

Lovely run (if slow) on Good Friday at Stratford (Broadmeadow Runs) . Some tricky loops but good instructions. Beautiful weather, good company and the first half had some fantastic views. Round the Reservoir yesterday - a little bit quicker as no navigation needed, but still feel as there's no speed in my legs (or lungs). Again some really good company and it didn't even start raining until I was on my way home .

Yesterday at 07:19

Iain - hope the shoes sort that knee out.  Did you get your discount?

Moore - I shan't be entering VLM either, it's way down my list, probably on a par with L****

Yes, I remember the first North Dorset, they limited the numbers so they could be sure that the organisation was in place before increasing the numbers.  It's still just as good a marathon and even with more runners, they soon spread out,

Lily - there's' not much in the way of crowd support at Windermere but what support there is enthusiastic and Windermere has what I think is one of the best finishes for support as it's fairly narrow channel right in front of Brathay House. Just google Windermere marathon finish picture and you'll see what I mean.

mowzer - I won't be very popular with BM as I submitted my list after last week's newsletter, but he won the Counties.  I knew all those trips to Ireland would pay off!   I've been placed twice before but never won it.

mamafox - sorry didn't finish the Connemara report, sat down at the PC and ended up booking hotels and hire cars etc and then the afternoon was gone!

Back to work today

Yesterday at 08:43

Congrats on that award Shades.  So how many marathons was that then, and did you set out to try and win/place for that award?

I've entered the VLM ballot again....  I've been a bit, urmmm, "creative" with my predicted finish time to see if that makes any difference whatsoever with the outcome of the ballot.

I am hoping to still be at North Dorset, but as a spectator

Yesterday at 08:48
mamafox wrote (see)

Big G - Go to Bruges. Now. Before it is too late. Children and interesting city breaks do not go together (Said with feeling)

By the way mamafox, I took your advice and have booked the trip

Yesterday at 10:02
Big_G wrote (see)
mamafox wrote (see)

Big G - Go to Bruges. Now. Before it is too late. Children and interesting city breaks do not go together (Said with feeling)

By the way mamafox, I took your advice and have booked the trip

When are you planning to arrive (she says as she drives through Bruges).

Yesterday at 10:51

Shades well done on the 100MC Challenge Shield! How many did you do?

Big G - I too was extremely creative on my marathon time. I refer to it as an 'aspirational' goal. What did you put down?

VLM ballot was closed by 10:05. Getting earlier and earlier ever year. I did mine the very second it opened (hit refresh on browser a billion times) and would love a chance to do it again. 

Edited: 22/04/2014 at 10:51
65,081 to 65,100 of 65,142 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.