Shades Marathon Training

65,141 to 65,153 of 65,153 messages
23/04/2014 at 15:42

I have the offer of a place in the Paris marathon next year. It is in the middle of the school holidays and so I am tempted to go and do a week at Euro Disney with my kids followed by the marathon at the end of the week.

23/04/2014 at 16:23

Shades, didn't actually enter the ballot, just double checked the GFA times at 4am!

Lily, had forgotten you are near York, lovely part of the country. Will you go and watch the start from Leeds? We may watch it on the Buttertubs pass in the dales as it's a steep hill so we'll see them for longer. As we we driving back down south on Monday we saw the Giant team car with a load of cyclists behind, in Aysgarth, obviously checking out the route.

Khani, having 3 boys, I know how bad man flu can get! Paris marathon next year sounds like a great plan. Is the place with a charity?

Lee, Milton Keynes sounds like a good place to get your sub 4. A friend did it last year and it was very warm but I think the year before it was very wet. So this year I'm sure the conditions will be ideal

Did 10 miles this morning as not run more than 7 miles in a couple of weeks due to other things on at the weekend. 

Big G, did you go out for a run?

23/04/2014 at 19:40

SK - no, they opened a registration a couple of weeks ago for a ballot. You just filled in the details and they emailed you today to let you know if you were selected to get a place at a lower price ($99 including SMS pack). I have until 4th May to use my registration code.

I'm pretty sure I am going to do it. It's 8 weeks after my first ultra so plenty of time to recover. I have changed my mind on Euro Disney though. It will be a zoo since it's right in the school holidays. I may try my twins on a more city based trip showing them the Eiffel Tower, Notre Daam, and Louvre. I'm not sure how that will all go down with a pair of 6 year olds though (ti will be just after their birthday).

23/04/2014 at 21:13

Hmm well that was a odd race. Thought 55 would be a decent time considering current fitness for a 10k. Set off at a nice steady and what i thought was slow pace which was in fact 8:30 speed lol. Couldn't run up the big hill hamstring hurt too much, second bump off it i intended to have a go at all of it but within 20 metres or so hamstring ache so hit walking speed immediatly.

Went over top and down other side slower than i could have done to avoid over stressing hammy and then stuck to that speed as much as i could over the last 3 miles. Seemed to go well enough being not much slower than 8:00 pace. Last quarter mile was down to 7:45 pace and i managed to sneak under 55 getting 54:42 which being i couldn't get up the hill as fast as i wanted i probably lost a minute or two there.

Yesterday at 07:16

Emmy - hope you get your child care sorted for this weekend OK.

Khanivore - Emmy has done Paris a few times so can give you the marathon info.  Re your trip I think perhaps the Louvre might not be what six year olds may appreciate!

SK - LOL, I misread that and thought you'd entered the ballot!

Keith - another good race but you'll need that hamstring sorted before DD.  Hamstrings need active recovery, lots of stretching etc.

Foggy today, but had a lovely run on quiet country lanes, I so love this time of year

Edited: 24/04/2014 at 07:17
Yesterday at 08:35

So I have decided against MK. I think it may be just too soon. I don't know how much the virus took out of me. Instead, I will do a 10 miler in my home town on the Bank Holiday Saturday. I have also entered the NSPCC Half in MK on July 6th and the EG 10k on Sept 21st. Sprinkled in there will be some track meets where I suspect as well as a 5k/3k I'll be doing 800m and 1500m.

So my options for an Autumn Marathon depend largely when our holiday week away is but are Chester, Bournemouth or the Thames Meander.

Yesterday at 13:13

Lee - You've got a good chance of testing your speed at the 10 miler and aiming for your PB at the Half in July.

I hope you can make it to Chester as they'll be a few of us from the thread there.   Bournemouth looks to be a fast course too but Thames Meander is off road and although a fast trail marathon it would still give you a slower finishing time than on the road.

Yesterday at 14:29

Khani, we went to Eurodisney a few years ago in the spring and the queues weren't too bad. Your children would love it! When we went to did 2 days with a day in Paris in the middle.

SK we have booked a car park space in a field near Hawes with friends on the Saturday. On the Sunday if not too exhausted we may try to cycle into York somewhere to watch. Interesting to read that one team are concerned about the dry stone walls!

Another run for me this morning of just under 4 miles with leaden legs....a bit surprised as I recovered well last week. Not sure if best to rest from running or keep plodding on. Will definitely do park run on Saturday and see how it goes. I listened to marathon talk this morning about recovery from a marathon which reassured me a bit!

Happy running everyone

Yesterday at 15:05
Slowkoala wrote (see)

Khani, having 3 boys, I know how bad man flu can get! Paris marathon next year sounds like a great plan. Is the place with a charity?

Lee, Milton Keynes sounds like a good place to get your sub 4. A friend did it last year and it was very warm but I think the year before it was very wet. So this year I'm sure the conditions will be ideal

Honestly - I hated Milton Keynes. It isnt flat as you have a lot of small inclines and you're bunched together too much if you're a fast(ish) runner. Paris is an awesome marathon and i'll be back again next year.

How are you doing Slowkoala?

SHADES wrote (see)

Emmy - hope you get your child care sorted for this weekend OK.

Khanivore - Emmy has done Paris a few times so can give you the marathon info.  Re your trip I think perhaps the Louvre might not be what six year olds may appreciate!

Foggy today, but had a lovely run on quiet country lanes, I so love this time of year

Agree about this time of year! Its beautiful. I ended up losing track of time whilst out running and just kept going! Was so beautiful.

Eurodisney with the kids is tough on the legs. There's one family that did it this year and they said that their legs were trashed for the marathon as they walked around so much.

Lee Clark 70 wrote (see)

So my options for an Autumn Marathon depend largely when our holiday week away is but are Chester, Bournemouth or the Thames Meander.

Hi Lee - it's good to see you back on Shades thread. I'm most likely to be at Thames Meander but i believe that there is a group of Shadies running Chester?

Yesterday at 16:17
E mmy wrote (see)
Hi Lee - it's good to see you back on Shades thread. I'm most likely to be at Thames Meander but i believe that there is a group of Shadies running Chester?

I found myself at a bit of a loss after my last couple of runs this week. I got so used to posting my splits for each run that I found I missed it. 

Just did a 5 Mile Tempo and it appears I still have all my pace from just before the marathon!

Good to know about my Autumn marathon options.Just been told that if I do Chester my work colleague who lives in Lytham St Annes will do it too.

Yesterday at 17:39

i so envy all you that can head out in the morning for your run. It can be a drag having a full days work then home life and then heading out for mileage, but I guess I do draw the line at getting up at 3:30 am for a run so got to make use of the time I have.

I'll be heading out for a slowish (that's the plan anyway)10+ miles tonight to see how the shoes are on longer runs! think they should be ok.

Yesterday at 19:26

Emmy this was a serious concern for me (trashed legs due to Euro Disney) so thanks for confirming that is an issue. I'll stick with keeping them in the city. I'm they will get a lot out of seeing some of the famous buildings etc and just being away from home is fun as a kid anyway.

I guess I will meet you at Thames Meander, Chester and Paris then  

Yesterday at 21:38

Lily, my parents' cottage is only a mile from Hawes so we'll be in the same area! Not sure about everyone else but I think I could still feel the marathon in my legs up until about 3 weeks later so I wouldn't worry about the legs. Someone told me that you should allow a day's recovery for each mile that you have raced before racing again.

Khani, couldn't you do the sight seeing and Euro Disney after the marathon - good for recovery?

Emmy, I'm good, (touches wood). Seem to be injury free and looking forward to a couple of 10ks in May. Not having finished marathon training, don't feel as fit as last year but just pleased to be running again. How are you getting on in your new home? 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
65,141 to 65,153 of 65,153 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.