Shades Marathon Training

66,201 to 66,214 of 66,214 messages
Today at 08:22

Big G - the TV coverage is for all nations watching, which is why you see little of the athletes not at the lead of the race.   In most Championship marathons you rarely get a glimpse or a mention of our athletes.

I've just heard Steve Way on the radio being interviewed by Vassos on Chris Evans programme and he interviews very well, most impressive.

That's good you've got this week off to prepare for baby.

Today at 08:35
SHADES wrote (see)

Big G - the TV coverage is for all nations watching, which is why you see little of the athletes not at the lead of the race.   In most Championship marathons you rarely get a glimpse or a mention of our athletes.

I've just heard Steve Way on the radio being interviewed by Vassos on Chris Evans programme and he interviews very well, most impressive.

That's good you've got this week off to prepare for baby.

I don't think it excuses BF etc not sharing the information they had on the splits though.  I'm not just talking about Way or the Brits, but all the other athletes.  I was getting more information off of the MarathonTALK online chat system than I was from the TV coverage (people there had access to the splits).  I do accept though that for the vast majority of viewers, they probably don't really want to know about splits etc and the coverage has to cater for everyone and not just stats geeks like me  Personally though, I also don't want to know about the history of some bridge that the runners pass as to me that means the commentators are clutching at straws very early on in the race.  Also, to miss a sprint finish at the end, just doesn't seem right to me.  Please note that I'm not usually a BBC-basher.  Generally, I think the BBC is great. 

I do agree though that he interviews very well. I wonder if anyone will be inspired by him?  From a lot of the chat on Facebook and also comments on some of the national newspaper website reports, he seems to have got a lot of people talking, which can only be a good thing.

Anyway....I'm off for a ride

Today at 09:59

Morning all! I thought it was funny to see them switch over from the marathon to the boules! I mean... seriously?Can that be more entertaining?!

I dont have a race until mid august so using the time to work on speed work and resting. I'm quite enjoying it!

How is everyone else getting on?

Today at 13:03

Big G - I don't think the commentators get that much info on splits, it's always been much the same for championship races.   What sprint finish, do you mean Way?   Could have done without the BBC filming the Scots guy on the finishing straight and puking as he ran to the finish line

I think Steve Way will make a very good mentor and hope that maybe later on he can earn some money coaching/motivating people to reach for their goals.

Emmy - well each to their own sport!  And that's meant to be the spirit of the Commonwealth Games, covering all of the sports.  But it's annoying they didn't have an extra BBC red button for continuing coverage for games/sports that overrun their time quota.

That's a long break for you with no races!   Are you aiming for a sub 4 in your next marathon, or a race in the autumn when the weather is cooler?

Today at 13:16
Yes, Steve Way did a sprint finish at the end to finish in 10th place by 5 seconds.
Today at 13:29

Big G - I'm sure they would have shown it if they could.

Today at 13:41

Hi All, hope you are all well.

went for a 20 mile run on Saturday, (my first above 15 mile for a while) as it was so hot 28 degrees according to my car, I took 4 250ml bottles, never done it before but I hid 2 behind a wall under some long grass at the halfway point, got back and they were gone    had a very hard 10 mile run home with nothing to drink.  will also cost about £15 to replace them

Today at 14:01

just 6 weeks to the GNR and 10 weeks to Chester now so behind in my training its not true, have changed my PB attempts to next year  

Today at 14:19

Shades - well done on your Hadd test . Do you stick rigidly to a training plan?

Big G - enjoy your week off

S3200H - shame about the bottles . Either someone mean or desperate.

I bumped into Auranya when I was running along the river the other day. She said she was now targeting Brighton next year, although I saw on another thread she said she was aiming to run Stort 30 later this year. There seem to be quite a few runners around now who want to move from nothing to long distances very quickly without building a strong base first (or perhaps you don't need to?). The river (New River - man made) was also quite clear and I saw this enormous fish swimming upstream. Don't know what kind, but he was at least 2 feet long (60 cm in new money) . The ducks got into a bit of a flap as he went past.

Round the Reservoir on Sunday. First 3 laps were ok and about the same times as previously, but then I became really tired and slowed down (not intentionally) for the last 3, and people I had been running alongside quickly sped off. Calves and glutes in particular ached and breathing was quite ragged. Surprisingly I didn't need to nip to the loo (in the hotel by the water stop), but I drank gallons and even needed to take a full bottle out for the last lap as I didn't think I'd make it without a drink. Pleased that I ran the little hills on every lap, but I did have to walk a bit elsewhere on the last as my legs just wouldn't move. 4:42 at the finish and still feeling washed out.

Watered the plants again in the evening and of course it rained heavily overnight . Needless to say I slept through a massive storm in the early hours .

Today at 15:19

Shades - I'm trying to aim for 2 weekends a month so just using this time to take it easier, rest and avoid any possibly injury. I've found that if i dont run every day - my legs really ache for the first few km.

Mowser - I've noticed this. A friend that started running in january is already aiming for a 50 miler in the autumn  I cant even contemplate that yet! I'm doing stort 30 in october. The day after Beachy Will you be there?

I heard that someone cheated on round the reservoir yesterday? It was reported to the RD and they didnt get a time on the results. Quite sad really

Today at 17:05
E mmy wrote (see)

Mowser - I've noticed this. A friend that started running in january is already aiming for a 50 miler in the autumn  I cant even contemplate that yet! 

Mowzer/Emmy, I agree that people want to jump into the longer distances too soon. I think it's because 'running a marathon' is seen as an achievement in itself, regardless of the time. I love marathons and can't wait to train again for one soon (I think) but in a way I see it as a blessing in disguise that I haven't run one this year. I've really enjoyed racing more 5k and 10ks and feel I have learnt more about racing as a result. I don't like the idea that as you improve as a runner you have to go longer. But I think lots of non runners judge you by how far you run.

Steve Way is everywhere today! Definitely time for him to write a book. Agree with comments about commentary, they even missed Susan Partridge coming in live. But Shades is right that the commentators get little info' on splits. I remember it was the same with the Olympic road race for cycling. Poor old Chris Boardman had to try and work out the splits for himself!

No run yet today - too many kids in the house after work today - three 7 year olds and three teenagers.

Today at 17:35

S3200H - bad news about getting your drinks nicked, maybe it was the fancy drink bottles that they were after?   I always use ordinary water bottles if I'm hiding stuff in the hedge.   But in that heat must have been awful, I guess nowhere to get water, houses, churchyard, shop, garage?

Nothing wrong with changing your targets/goals for Chester, better to be realistic but if you're already up to 20 miles there may be less work to do than you think.

mowzer - My training plans are fairly fluid but I find that if I do too much out of the correct range of heart rate then I don't make any improvements so 90% of the time I do stick to the plan.    I will now be doing one or 2 runs a week at 77% to 80% to start working on improving my sub lactate threshold .

That's a huge fish!, I wonder what it was.   I saw fish when I was running my race in Ireland, the water was shallow and sand with clear water, I think they were eels, (big fat ones) but I forgot to ask any of the locals.

I find it odd too that newbies are so keen to run ultras when they still struggle with a marathon.

Tough day at the Reservoir, well done.

Emmy - I hate to hear of anyone cheating.   Do you want to name and shame them?

SK - double the amount of children in your house...school holidays!

I think it's a shame new runners trying to just do longer distances, I guess these are maybe not runners that join a running club.   In a club you find yourself doing all sorts of races and distances and it's fun and builds strength and experience.

Today at 18:02
SK, I'm not convinced that BF didn't have the splits. A couple of times he said something like 'information coming into us shows...'. Also, people on other forums had access to the splits and were relating them in real time. It's how I knew Steve was on for a PB.

Also, there were cameras and bikes on the finish straight so they could've shown more. Instead they showed slo-mo repeats of athletes who had just finished.
Today at 19:17

5 Miles yesterday and achilles felt fine. Was always aware of it but afterwards it didn't feel any worse. This morning it felt very slightly stiff but I could have run on it today. Going out again for another 5 tomorrow. 

Is there still time to do a sub 4 at Chester?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
66,201 to 66,214 of 66,214 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.