Shades Marathon Training

66,221 to 66,230 of 66,230 messages
29/07/2014 at 07:56

S3200H - That's happened to a friend of mine when they were training for their last ultra. They had left a plastic bag filled with sealed food and a drink and it had been nicked. They managed to run 30 miles on just water though!

Shades - I don't know who. It was on Plodding Hippo's (Ruth) status on Facebook. I've heard it was someone who gets a little disorientated? You saw EELS!? and didnt run in the opposite direction!?

29/07/2014 at 08:24

Emmy - I had one of my electrolyte drinks nicked one day when I was doing the 10 in 10 and they also took one of the other runner's sandwich, but left the cling film!

There are some runners that do get disorientated and also think they are better runners than they actually are, and think they're having a brilliant day!   Whereas I know by my time if a course is short.

Well I only think they were eels, they wouldn't have jumped out the water and chased me...would they?  Might have done a better PB if I'd thought that.

When I was a child my father had hung a huge skate up in our garage and I walked into it and the wings sort of enveloped me....shudders at thought.

29/07/2014 at 15:06

Very slight stiffness in the Achilles this morning but a bit of a stretch and another 5 miler done slightly too fast. Feels ok at the moment. It's a strange one as my Achilles strains previously have been higher up. This one was down near the ankle.

A fraction over nine weeks to go until Chester and typically next week is going to be tricky for training as I'll be in Las Vegas for our Sales Kick Off. Will be able to gym it on Sunday but Mon-Weds will be tricky. I'm back on the Thursday so will need to get out then.

Shades, assuming the Achilles is good to go with careful management, what does the plan look like for building to Chester? I assume the taper may be less than the norm? I currently have a 10k race 2 weeks before Chester.

29/07/2014 at 20:17

Double Post 

Edited: 29/07/2014 at 20:18
Yesterday at 07:16

Lee - that refresh button is a nuisance.

Next week when you're having a ball in LA it might be a good thing to just continue to rest and stretch the achilles.   Then when you get back on the Thursday get out for another run and depending how your achilles is we'll rejig your training plan from there.   Ideally I'd like you to be able to do 10 miles on the Sat or Sun, then maybe 12 to 15 the following weekend.

A 10k race 2 weeks before Chester is fine, will be a good sharpener

Lovely morning, had a great run, saw a fox

Yesterday at 08:47

Moring all... Day off today so I hope to fit in a longish run this morning depending on how hot it gets. So far it feels comfortable with a light breeze..

shades - I was surprised the that yoghurt upset my stomach like that. I do know I have to be carefull what I eat the day before a long run but didn't think a warm yoghurt would affect me like that...(note to self : don't eat leftover dairy)

begining to start really focusing on Chester now have spoken to a few people that have run it before and they all say its a great race for a PB. Feeling excited about meeting everyone and with the positive year so far feeling good about how my training is going...just need to be careful on my bike ride 2 weeks before, a good start to my taper weeks though...

Yesterday at 12:01

Going to finally dump my very old red trainers (both pairs) . Out running yesterday evening (much cooler with a slight breeze) on a stony path when I thought I had trodden on a very sharp stone. Ran on just a little but then stopped as I thought the stone must be stuck. No stone stuck where it hurt, although there were two other stones stuck elsewhere. I even took my shoe off to check inside. Carried on running on grass for a bit but still painful. Now hurts when I put my weight on it, but not otherwise even if I put pressure on it with my fingers . Hope it's just a bruise. When I got home and told my daughter I was going to throw out my trainers she said 'Those with the holes in the soles?' so I guess I'm just going to have to let them go.

Yesterday at 13:04

Iain - yes, normally you would think of yogurt as something that settles the stomach.

I haven't run Chester before (did the first one but it was a completely different course) and I've heard the same reports as you have, not pancake flat but a great PB course.   I too am looking forward to meeting everyone

mowzer - ouch and in the bin for those shoes, I bet you've done a lot of miles in those.   I'm sure that's just a bruise, should ease in a day or so.

Yesterday at 21:11
SHADES wrote (see)

Lee - that refresh button is a nuisance.

Next week when you're having a ball in LA it might be a good thing to just continue to rest and stretch the achilles.   Then when you get back on the Thursday get out for another run and depending how your achilles is we'll rejig your training plan from there.   Ideally I'd like you to be able to do 10 miles on the Sat or Sun, then maybe 12 to 15 the following weekend.

A 10k race 2 weeks before Chester is fine, will be a good sharpener

Lovely morning, had a great run, saw a fox

Thanks Shades. Did another 5 mile tonight after a bad day at work. Still slightly stiff Achilles but it's nearly there. I was going to try and push a longer run this Friday before I go away but maybe you're right and I should rest it until I get back. I'm sure I won't have any problem at all running the 10 on the Sat I get back but to do it without any stiffness would be fantastic.

Today at 00:53

Shades - over 1400mls on each pair . But they were so comfy.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
66,221 to 66,230 of 66,230 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.