Shades Marathon Training

66,401 to 66,420 of 67,861 messages
21/08/2014 at 16:20

SK, I must admit I'm really enjoying the cycling.  Not sure about the 100-miler though, although some folk on the cycling club Facebook group were talking about it.

I'm still a runner at heart though!  The cycling is just filling the gap until I get back to running again, whilst also stopping me going crazy and gaining weight.

21/08/2014 at 16:21

I've bought all of my recent purchases through Wiggle - they always seem competitive price wise.

Having a couple of days rest and cake scoffing before Thames Meander on Saturday. See you there Emmy

Good luck for Ireland Shades

21/08/2014 at 18:41
Big_G - I try fit in loads of cycling between my runs and I'm finding it helps me with my endurance and the fact I have a 75 mile off road ride to do 2 weeks before Chester. I do enjoy it since it is one thing my Oh doesn't mind joining me..
22/08/2014 at 06:55

SK - Chester having a metric marathon on the same day as the standard marathon, so I guess that's 26.2 km?   Their half marathon is in May I think.

Re flip flops, never ever wear them, throw them out, they are the worse thing for your feet.  

Several years ago I was watching a programme about Jess Ennis and she was sobbing as she was going to miss an important event due to injury, her coach was furious with her as the injury (achilles) was caused by her wearing flip flops.   I just Googled achilles/flip flops and indeed a cause and possibly of further foot injuries later on like plantar fasciitis.

Incidentally the fat one that I work with has worn flip flops for years,  both with and without heels and now at 52 she is having serious problems with her feet, combination of her weight and poor footwear.

Big G - It's great that you're enjoying your cycling and stops you going stir crazy.   How do the achilles feel now?

Moore - Wiggle are a great company and speedy service, when you mentioned them I thought why haven't I looked there...so I have and they don't sell Brooks shoes, which I'm surprised at.

No running for me today, rest day and tomorrow to before Sunday's race.   Have packed this morning as leaving for airport almost straight after work.   Flying to Dublin tonight, staying the night in Dublin then bus to Longford tomorrow morning

Edited: 22/08/2014 at 06:56
22/08/2014 at 07:31

Yes, Wiggle are really good.  I've bought a few things from them over the last few weeks for the bike.  They always seem to put a small packet of Haribo in as well

Shades, the achilles are getting better and I know I've been saying that for weeks!!  I do actually feel that I could probably run now but I'm not going to.  I'm sticking to my plan, and I'm not running until at least 9th Sept (having ran since 9th July).

The test for me is standing on tiptoes, which I did this morning with no obvious problem.  Also, going down the stairs first thing was fine, and I wasn't having to hold the bannister to get down.  All good signs, but I'm leaving it for a 2 or 3 more weeks yet.

22/08/2014 at 08:05

Big G - I think you're doing the right thing and hopefully your patience will pay off.

22/08/2014 at 08:25

Iain, sorry missed your post somehow.  If/when I get back to running, I was thinking about maybe doing a bit less running (maybe down to 3 or 4 times a week, as opposed to 5) and doing a couple of rides a week in place of that and was wondering if that may help keep me a bit less injury prone overall.  I know to get better at running you have to run, but being out for weeks isn't much fun and I was wondering if a more "balanced" approach may be better for me overall.

Either that or when I'm back up to speed, strictly do either one speed session or race per week - and not both.

One step at a time though, as I will have to build the running back up slowly first.  Also, I don't know yet what impact Baby G is going to have on my training in the short/medium term, other than more than likely a big one

22/08/2014 at 09:10

cycling will keep you fit and is good for building endurance, you do need to spend a lot longer in the saddle though  If you look at any Tri program it is more focused on swimming and cycling, the running seems to take care of its self  

when training for IM 70.3 I was running 3 times a week longest one being 1hr 40 but mainly only 30-60 mins bike 3 times built up to 4.5 hours and swimming 3 times.  the main thing with Tri is to learn to run of the bike so did a 4 hour ride followed by a 30 min run.  

shame it all went tits up and had to pack it in, been running for few years with no trouble now and just starting to think if my body is ready to try again, would love to cross the finish line at the uk IM 70.3

22/08/2014 at 09:21
Big_G - I have heard that cycling is a good way to stretch the Achillies with no pressure on it and it strengthens the muscles that support it so I think adding cycling to a weekly plan isn't a bad thing.
22/08/2014 at 09:29

S3200H - I have been contemplating a tri next year as i am finding the marathon training tough. Not that tri training will be any easier but i do struggle with the distance running even in training so apart from halves i want to shorten my running distances and use the cycling i do already and incorporate them into a tri and leave the marathons for a few years down the line. 

22/08/2014 at 09:40

makes sense for you Iain, you have the bike and run sorted how is your swimming?

what you will find though is that when you do a 70.3 you will want to do the full distance 

22/08/2014 at 09:46

S32, it certainly seems to take longer in the saddle.  I am doing 40-miles in about 2hrs40 (relatively slow I suppose, but hilly routes).  I believe this is the equivalent of about a 10-mile LSR which at 10min/mile is 1hr 40 so an hour difference.  My "bog standard" routes are about 15-20 miles so only equivalent of about a 4 or 5 mile run, but I'll be out for over an hour generally for these.  Still I'm enjoying it, which is the main thing.

Even though I've only been cycling 5 or 6 weeks the shape in my legs has definitely changed, and I"m feeling pretty good at the moment to be honest.  Better than sitting at home stewing about blasted achilles anyway!

I'm not thinking about tri, although I was a reasonable swimmer as a kid.  I swam for Devon, but strictly in the pool and although I can obviously swim front crawl, breast stroke was my favourite/quickest.  I can swim in the sea, but I don't overly enjoy it.  However, in those days I was tall for my age and also very slim but broad shouldered, so had somewhat of an advantage compared to those who may have been a foot smaller than me!

22/08/2014 at 10:06

Agv 15mph is very good Big G 

it is the swimming that is putting me of trying again, did not really enjoy it at all.  used to have to drive past the the swimming baths on the way to/from work so was not to bad, now it would be 30 mins in the wrong direction. may be better to think about duathlon.   

22/08/2014 at 10:16

Yes, I have my eye on a duathlon as well, but we'll see.

I should say that I do realise that just because I was a reasonable swimmer 20-odd years ago doesn't mean I'd be a reasonable swimmer now!  In fact, a couple of months ago I went for a swim and was knackered after about 6 lengths of the pool!  I remember we used to do 64-lengths front crawl (about 1 mile) before school in the week!

22/08/2014 at 10:46

Big G- my mum is trying to persuade me to go swimming as well this weekend as cross training. I dont even have a costume that fits anymore!

22/08/2014 at 10:54

S3200H - My swimming isnt that strong anymore, back in South Africa I used to go bodyboarding 4 times a week rain or shine but, although i can swim fairly well, i get tired quickly but i guess that will improve the more i do it. We have a new leisure center opened near us which has a 25m pool and it is really clean and well kept so i guess ill be down there more since it is only about a mile away. I guess if the swimming doesn't go well then i can always try a duathlon but i never shy away from a challenge.

22/08/2014 at 11:34

My swimming is awful. I get bored, then I get tired, then I stop. I like big waves by the sea but that's about it

SK - Wish my MiL would try some magic mushrooms - could only be an improvement.

Shades - Good luck for your ultra - have a great weekend in Ireland!

22/08/2014 at 12:00

Shades - good luck for Longford - enjoy the ultra and the hospitality . Are they doing anything special for BM's 1000th? He's actually got quite chatty and smiley now! And finally agreed to be in photos

22/08/2014 at 12:24

Good luck Shades for this weekend

Mowser - BM doesnt want anything special done.. I think thats why he's doing it in ireland. He's definitely more open now I have found... and even on facebook!

Mamafox - please slip your MIL some mushrooms and film it for us?

22/08/2014 at 13:25

Big G - you're right, one race or one speed session per week, no more.

I'm sure it wouldn't take you long to get your swimming speed back if you wanted too.   Trouble is, it's hard enough to train in one discipline, never mind 3 (not that I would know of course)

mamafox - my swimming is rubbish too, I hate swimming pools and only like swimming in the sea but it's just too much faff so I never bother.

LOL at magic mushrooms for your MiL

mowzer - there's a lot of hospitality for the runners in Longford.   It's the only race that I go to that I actually attend the pasta party, plenty of food and included in race entry.   There's also food after the race but I never go to that as the finish is right outside my hotel so the temptation of a hot bath wins.  Then in the evening there's a post race do in a traditional Irish bar, I might skip that one this year as it doesn't start until 9:30pm (which means in true Irish style not everyone will arrive until about 11pm), I'll be a bit tired by then and I want to get up early on Monday to get my recovery run in, maybe go to the gym, go shopping and travel back to Dublin and on to home!

I'm sure Liam (RO) will make a great fuss of BM doing his 1,000th, (he's done Longford a few times)  they have some press there anyway as I did a radio interview last year

Then we have GL doing her 500th at Kent, first lady in UK to reach 500, she's a great runner.

Good luck to all of you doing Thames Meander this weekend and any other races.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.