Shades Marathon Training

66,421 to 66,440 of 67,634 messages
22/08/2014 at 13:26

Emmy - BM on Facebook!!!!   He didn't used to have any internet access, times have moved on"

22/08/2014 at 13:55

He's not active from what i can gather but he's on there!

22/08/2014 at 17:57

Flip Flops, I had a bout of plantar faciitis when my arch collapsed wearing them, I now have a pair with arch support which have been ok.

Shades - less than 2 months until marathon, Ian 14 miles in 2.8.20 this morning, probably a bit too quick but I felt pretty good, I took coconut water with me and it did the trick with both hydration and energy, anyone else got any thoughts on this? It's got no crap in it like some sports drinks.

22/08/2014 at 20:29

Jugula, I've heard good things about coconut water but not tried it yet. An alternative to sports drinks that I sometimes have after long runs is water with a bit of fruit juice added and a quarter of a teaspoon of salt. 

Shades, that's interesting what you read about flip flops and what Jugular found. I think my achilles pain started before I wore them but I think they may have made things worse. Mine felt better today after 6 mile run followed by deep heat! Another day walking in London but this time pain free. Went into a Sweatshop to try on the new Saucony Ride 7s and they didn't sell any Saucony shoes at all. Apparently they only sell them in bigger branches now. Also visited the London Marathon shop. A bit small but they had medals for every single year. I think this years was the best one of the lot!

Big G, I think getting back into running when the little one arrives will be a good thing. From memory you can get a bit stir crazy in the first couple of weeks if you stay in too much and going out for a run will help establish a routine (well that would be my excuse anyway!) I think combining running with cycling can make you a stronger runner. Wish I had a swimming background as I think learning the right technique really helps.

22/08/2014 at 21:14

Shades - someone wrote on BM's facebook page - ' OMG BM has a computer now'. He replied 'I don't have a computer. I have a phone.'

Good luck for anyone doing Thames Meander tomorrow . I've been told the course is very different this year, so it will be interesting to see what the runners prefer.

2nd session of Nordic Walking for me today. I'm hoping it will give my upper body a bit of a workout and possibly help with posture. That'll be in the future though - at the moment I'm just struggling with straight arms and co-ordination .

I'm going to miss GM's 500th . First time I've booked something else for that weekend since I started - I think it's going to be a bit of a party .

22/08/2014 at 22:38

lol

I kinda assumed BM was doing it via phone being most people have internet capable phones these days

Shades - I'll be going to the exact same place we had dinner 4 years ago in Spalding tomorrow night. Assuming i can remember where it is....

23/08/2014 at 08:53

morning all. looks like it is a bit warmer today so a good day for a nice run along the river.. I had an interesting run/cycle yesterday. I had to take my MTB down to halfords to get it serviced ready for my event in september so i cycled the 5 miles there and ran back. Now i am quite happy running and cycling but it was a strange transition going straight from a cycle to a run and it took me a mile or so to find my running legs. My admiration for triathletes and increased massively. Took me a total of 48 min to do the combined 10 miles. Pity that wasn't my running speed.

Good luck to all those of you racing this weekend, hope the weather holds out for you. 

23/08/2014 at 17:14

That's not far off your running speed Iain!!! Just a thought.. does the running part always come after the cycling bit in a triathlon? If so why? Sorry if that is a really thick question but I know absolutely nothing about triathlons. I don't think I would ever do one due to my lousy swimming plus the fact that doing serious miles on a road bike doesn't appeal to me. I have a good mountain bike and enjoy off roading and trail rides but that's about it.

Much cooler here today and a steady 18k done. Hope Moore and Emmy doing ok at Thames Meander.

23/08/2014 at 17:59

Yes it is always swim, bike, run, the swim is always first, it would not be very good for the body to jump into cold water after a long run or bike ride.  I never found running off the bike that bad, but know a lot that do, and it is something you need to practice 

23/08/2014 at 21:14
I'm keen to do it again but increase the distances. I know tomorrow I'll do it in reverse but my run will be 20 miles then a 5 mile cycle home.
24/08/2014 at 09:47

Ran the Thames Meander yesterday. Didn't really enjoy it but lots of people did, so I am in a small minority! I find trail marathons difficult and although I had a decent first half, I had a poor second. I was wearing trail shoes but found the surface hard on my feet and knees. Trudged around in 4.43. Give me tarmac any week but 26.2 miles of it!

The worse thing about yesterday, apart from the showers not working when I'd finished, was the the final 2.5 mile loop that you had to run past the finish area to complete. There were no mile markers out, so some runners thought they'd finished, only to be told that they'd need to run the additional loop.

Not one for me next year but seemed like a very friendly and social event.

Kent Coastal is next, two weeks today.

I

24/08/2014 at 19:52
Quick post from Longford as wi-fi is a bit wobbly. Had quite a good run and was 3 mins ahead of target at marathon point but a headwind for most of the last 12 miles made it tough for the last part of the race . But finished in 7:33 a 5 min PB so I'm happy. Also did a PB at 50km by about 10 mins. Off to the post race do now to see BM get his presentation for his 1000th marathon. I will also pick up prize for 2nd lady but there were only 2 lady finishers.
24/08/2014 at 21:01

Well done on your time and PB Shades, I can't imagine running for that amount of time, luckily I have no plans to do so

I had a short recovery run this morning, followed by a walk. Legs have fully recovered from yesterday.

24/08/2014 at 21:39

Shades - Well done

I managed 52.4 miles today at Boston 12 hour, hippo was a lap ahead.

I won first senior male albeit same manner as Shades but in my case i was the only one there under 40

Edited: 24/08/2014 at 21:39
24/08/2014 at 21:58

Good running Keith, how long was each circuit?

24/08/2014 at 23:36

Great endurance running from Moore, Shades and Keith this weekend, very impressive. And Shades/Keith, a prize is a prize so don't talk it down! A 10 minute PB for 50k is brilliant, you must be very proud.

Went to running club for first time in a month yesterday and was good to see everyone. But then spent rest of day and night being sick until there was nothing left inside me! Feel better today and I have lost about 4 pounds. Hoping to do a longidh run tomorrow if I feel strong enough but will take it slow.

25/08/2014 at 08:03

It was a one mile loop as i dont do track ultras

25/08/2014 at 10:44
Moore06 wrote (see)

Ran the Thames Meander yesterday. Didn't really enjoy it but lots of people did, so I am in a small minority! I find trail marathons difficult and although I had a decent first half, I had a poor second. I was wearing trail shoes but found the surface hard on my feet and knees. Trudged around in 4.43. Give me tarmac any week but 26.2 miles of it!

The worse thing about yesterday, apart from the showers not working when I'd finished, was the the final 2.5 mile loop that you had to run past the finish area to complete. There were no mile markers out, so some runners thought they'd finished, only to be told that they'd need to run the additional loop.

Not one for me next year but seemed like a very friendly and social event.

Kent Coastal is next, two weeks today.

I

I also ran it and had a blast. came in at 4.22 and felt strong throughout. I'm not sure about mile markers.. I really didnt need them. It was only when i was told that we had that last soul destroying loop that it got to me. I mentioned it to the RDs and it looked to be a last minute change as putney bridge was closed. They did say that if they need to add mileage on it'll be done at the start.

I had a good day out and surprisingly - it didnt rain! I didnt care too much for the showers but i would have liked a few more loo's.

SHADES wrote (see)
Quick post from Longford as wi-fi is a bit wobbly. Had quite a good run and was 3 mins ahead of target at marathon point but a headwind for most of the last 12 miles made it tough for the last part of the race . But finished in 7:33 a 5 min PB so I'm happy. Also did a PB at 50km by about 10 mins. Off to the post race do now to see BM get his presentation for his 1000th marathon. I will also pick up prize for 2nd lady but there were only 2 lady finishers.

Well done Shades! you have to be in it to win it - so well done!

Did they do anything special for BMs 1000th?

Back out yesterday and managed to blow the cobwebs out with a 14km tempo. Came home and had a 2hr delay due to accidents en route and subsequent traffic (if you're tired - take a break...).

Out again this morning and back on track Now a two weekend break before my next one

Slowkoala - How are you feeling now? I'd be careful doing an LSR tomorrow if you're still ill

25/08/2014 at 10:44
Keith M Stuart wrote (see)

It was a one mile loop as i dont do track ultras

was this Bolton?

25/08/2014 at 12:13

Only one letter out, it was Boston!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.