Shades Marathon Training

66,441 to 66,460 of 67,279 messages
25/08/2014 at 15:36

Aye it was Boston Bolton is somewhat nearer to home though

Not too many aches at the moment

26/08/2014 at 07:08

Jugula - that's a little speedy for a long run.  I've heard coconut water is very good, never tried it and unlikely too as I'm too lazy to carry a drink when running!

SK - re the flip flops, apparently if you have absolutely flat feet they are fine, (although any toe post sandals are not good for the foot) but any hint on an arch and you need some arch support.

Hope you're feeling better now, that's a lot of weight for you to lose overnight

mowzer - I can't imagine you wielding those sticks for the Nordic walking!

Keith - is that where we had fish and chips?   Well done at Boston and for your prize (I guess that's not a PB for you though).

Do you know if he's putting the event on next year?

Moore - well done, sounds like a tough day for you at Thames Meander, a marathon is even tougher if you aren't really enjoying the terrain/event.   You'll end up like me and tarmac only!

Emmy - we had a night in the Tally Ho pub in Longford with Irish music, it's packed and a great atmosphere.  They made a special presentation to BM and had a lovely engraved plate done for him.

26/08/2014 at 07:57

Shades - Aye it was where we had fish and chips. A lap behind last time but further on the field so under a mile behind pb

26/08/2014 at 08:00

Shades - that's lovely. Im glad although i know that he didnt want a fuss made.

26/08/2014 at 08:24

Hi all, good running from everyone and well done Shades/Keith for your prizes!  As people have said, a prize is a price so don't knock it!!

Bringing the mood down a lot, but I woke up to a tragic email from my club's chairman that I never really thought I'd read.  I wasn't there, but a club mate passed away last night.  He was leading a Monday night training run and suffered a massive heart attack and apparently the paramedics said there was nothing that anyone could have done.  He leaves a wife and 3 children.  I can't quite believe it really.  He was very popular in the club, on the committee etc and I imagine it must have been extremely upsetting for those other people that were running with him.  Very sad

Edited: 26/08/2014 at 08:24
26/08/2014 at 08:26

I'm really sorry to hear that Big G.Thats awful news.

26/08/2014 at 10:51

Emmy, yes - I can't really believe it.  News like this often puts things into perspective, doesn't it?

Only last week I was in touch with him about the local cycling club, which he was also a member of.  I was asking for advice on which training group to go along with and other general cycling queries, and as always he was very helpful.  A real shock

26/08/2014 at 11:05

That is terrible Big G - really upsetting news. Did he have any history of heart problems or anything? If he's left a wife and three children behind I'm guessing he was quite young too. Must be a massive shock for all that knew him.

26/08/2014 at 11:19

that is so sad, really sorry to hear that.

26/08/2014 at 12:09

mamafox, I don't know his exact age but I know he was in his early 50s.  I also don't know his history with regards to heart problems.  I would think that everyone in the club knew him as he organised things like annual family camping trips and other activities, as well being one of the coaches.

26/08/2014 at 13:27

Big G - so sorry to hear that sad news, what a tragic thing to happen.

26/08/2014 at 13:33

That's sad news Big G. Sorry to hear it.

26/08/2014 at 22:11

Back to running, I was listening to MarathonTALK and I'm a couple of weeks behind.  There is an interesting story as to why there were no British men running the recent Euro Champs marathon.  There were 3 men who had been selected to run the marathon as they had made the 2:17 qualifying time.  However, one of those men was also selected for the Commonwealths and decided to do that and so couldn't do the Euros as well as they were so close together.  In their infinite wisdom, British Athletics pulled the whole team (i.e., the remaining two men, neither of who had ran in the Commonwealths), and so didn't send anyone to run.  This is because apparently there is a "team" element to the euros, and there has to be 3 people per team to score.

What a strange decision.  I have been googling to find a source for this story, and have come across a blog by Andi Jones (one of the runners who had qualified but then was told he couldn't run) where he mentions it in passing at the top of this post.

http://eightlane.org/blog/2014/07/22/am-online-andi-jones/

Unbelievable decision really.  The governing body basically decided not to send runners, even though they had met the qualifying standard.

27/08/2014 at 07:06

Big G - there are 3 required for the team event at the Europeans and although it was a shame that the team were pulled but they were warned, so maybe the runners should have pulled together to try and keep that team together.   What's very sad is that we didn't have any other runners that could make the qualifying time.

Short run for me today as I have a niggle, sore foot, the joint below my big toe so I'm hoping it's just a little post race soreness that will go as I have a 50 mile race in 10 days time.

27/08/2014 at 07:12

Shades - hoping that the injury clears up. Which 50 miler are you doing?

5 miler for me this morning. Started out before dawn but ran as the sun was coming up. Was lovely but a little chilly. I hate to say it but is autumn arriving?

27/08/2014 at 08:12

Emmy - it was so dark this morning when I ran, can't believe the difference in a few days.  But it was very warm this morning, even though it was windy.

I'm doing Dingle 50 and I don't want to DNS as I've heard that this is the last time the 50 miler will be on.   I've heard conflicting stories, one that there will be no ultra after this year and others that the distance will drop to 39.3 miles, not sure if that would take you over Conor Pass which is the special part of this race.

27/08/2014 at 08:25

Hi Shades - It was the first time that I thought about wearing gloves whilst on my run this morning

Ah, the dingle 50! I didnt realise that it was the last year for the 50 miler that's a shame as its such a lovely race. I've heard a few races are going that way at the moment with reducing or changing their distances.

27/08/2014 at 08:35

Shades, regarding the Euros I got the impression (maybe incorrectly?) that British Athletics could still have sent two individuals and not competed in the team event, but chose not to.  I agree though, it's a shame that there aren't more making the qualifying times.

I hope your niggle clears up soon.

Edited: 27/08/2014 at 08:35
27/08/2014 at 09:23

was having a good tempo run last night then 8 mile in felt tight in my calf, about 5-6ins up from my ankle, thought it may be my achilles, was close to home so called it a night. had a good dig around and pretty confidant that it is the Soleus muscle.  it was very sore so gave it a good massage and tiger balm feels a lot better this morning,  will take it easy for the rest of the week.  

Would i be correct in thinking most achilles injures are just above the ankle.  where does yours hurt Big G, 

27/08/2014 at 10:01

Being the geek that I am, I checked Power of 10 and saw that there are 8 men who have made the Euro qualifying time in 2014.  I don't know what the dates were for qualifying for the Euros though.  I'm guessing Mo was never a contender and 4 others ran at the commonwealths, leaving 3 who have made the time in 2014.

http://www.thepowerof10.info/rankings/rankinglist.aspx?event=Mar&agegroup=ALL&sex=M&year=2014

S32, my issue starts more or less level with the ankle and goes down towards the heel, but doesn't reach it.  It's getting better now, but when I used to squeeze the achilles at that point it was sore/tender.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.