Shades Marathon Training

66,461 to 66,480 of 66,901 messages
27/08/2014 at 11:39

Big G - tragic news about your club mate. His family must be devastated.

Shades - great pb and a prize too. Congratulations

Moore & Emmy - well done on yet more marathons . I believe that in future they are putting the extra loop on at the beginning as so many runners were dejected when it came just before the end.

Great to see Keith (and Hippo and a few other usual suspects) at Boston . I had a pretty good run - steady running until 31 laps and then added a couple of walks each lap on the very short and shallow inclines. As I walked  the same sections each time the pacing stayed even if slower. Managed to run the last 2 laps and then we had to trot round in circles on the grass until the time was up. Did 63 miles and 825 yds which I was extremely pleased with  (and which I think will probably be my final pb!). Had a bit of stomach cramp from about mile 22 which resulted in an enforced loo stop of 10 mins at mile 24, but was ok after. Big problem was that I found my mouth was too dry to eat much, although I had plenty of water with electrolytes, plain water and coke. I managed half a scotch pancake (plain ones are too hard too digest but they didn't have the ones with lemon and raisins), a couple of pretzels, a bite of flapjack, 2 dried apricots and 2 boiled sweets ( which felt like life savers at the end). If I ever do this again I will take things like rice pud, yogurt and jelly which slide down. Couldn't even drink my choc milk at the end , but called in at a McD on the way back and devoured large fries and a very large coke . The course was good with plenty of variety within just a mile. Hot day with sunshine along the river stretch but also a good bit of shade too. Fantastic support from the marshalls, lap counters, supporters and fellow runners who we were continually meeting. Good day out - worth doing next year folks .

Did Pathfinder Walk near Cambridge on Monday (well, it was on the way home and I had booked it before Boston). Found it very tough - legs ached and were filled with concrete. Weather didn't help as it teemed down with rain and also blew gale force winds at one point - I actually wore my waterproof jacket the whole time and didn't overheat. I love this event though and was lucky enough that DD walked/ran most of it with me - his constant chatter kept me going. Finally staggered in at 6:55 . I found eldest daughter and dog had walked the short event and she had reserved the last egg for me so that I could have an egg roll at the finish . Sad to find that next years event will probably be the last as the race organiser is retiring - hope someone else will step in to continue it. This low key event really is a highlight of the Bank Hol Weekend - do this one too folks!!

27/08/2014 at 13:23

Emmy - Dingle 50 is not cost effective, the RO has to lay on a lot of extra effort and cost for the ultra.

I've been wearing gloves several mornings now and at Longford I wore them for the first 2 hours of the race.

S3200H - I do hope that niggle heals quickly, sounds like soleus to me, gentle calf stretches should help.

Big G - that's really interesting, maybe a runner needs an A standard to run as an individual in the Europeans, and of course they need to have run that within the qualifying period.

mowzer - that is a brilliant PB at Boston, well done.  It's a nice course, I might do it next year, we'll see.

Amazing that you then lined up for another event the next day.

I know what you mean about the food in an ultra, I've had macaroni cheese during a track ultra and that went down really well.  Not something I can successfully carry for a road race though

27/08/2014 at 15:02

mowzer, I can't believe the running you do.  A 63 miler followed by another race the next day.  Unbelievable!!

Shades, I will try and find out the rules around the A-standards and qualifying as it has intrigued me.  However, if it was British Athletics who pulled the plug on those two athletes competing what does that say to those up-and-coming marathoners?  I don't think it's a good message at all.

Anyway, I got a nice cycle ride in after work last night.  It was nice riding conditions and I really enjoyed it, although I found myself thinking about my running mate a lot.

It's a bit of a morbid topic, but I've already had non-running mates say "See, I told you running was no good for you".  In response, all I've really said is that a) non-runners do also drop dead from time to time b) I don't want to speculate, but his issue may have had nothing to do with running at all c) there are other fitness and mental health benefits from running etc etc.  What do you all say if/when you get challenged by non-runners about your running?

He was being totally serious, but one of my close non-running mates (overweight!) said "See, I told you running was no good for you.  Look who out of the two of us has the achilles issue!".  The trouble is, when you look at it in isolation, I suppose he's right.  Not that I need to defend myself to anyone, but it does get on my nerves a bit.

27/08/2014 at 15:10

Mowser - what an awesome PB time! I thought that i heard that you were at Pathfinder but i couldnt believe it!

27/08/2014 at 15:28

Big G - I can understand UKA pulling the other 2 members as they no longer had a team and I think they are limited to the numbers they can field who don't have the A standard..   I think the message is right, throw the gauntlet down to the athletes to do better and get the qualifying times.  The qualifying time is only seconds faster than Paula's time.

Re your non running mates and the comments, they are trying to justify their lazy and unhealthy life styles, far more of them will die prematurely and most importantly they won't have the quality of life that exercise gives you.   And I bet if you ask them if they are happy with what they see in the mirror, they'll get cross with you!

27/08/2014 at 16:14

Mowzer - You make me laugh! - Only you can do another mega race after getting a fab PB in an ultra the day before as it was "On the way home"!!  Most of us pop into a shop because it's "on the way home"..  Fantastic running, well done you.

Moore, Keith and Emmy - Fab running from all of you too. Moore and Emmy you must be made of stern stuff to be able to do another 2 mile loop when you thought it was all over. That is the stuff that my nightmares are made of.

Shades - Well done on a PB and a prize. It is completely irrelevant how many other women were in your race - you got second place and beat all of those who were still in bed or car booting or whatever and that is brilliant  How did you get on with nutrution/stomach issues - any better?

Big G - No one has ever challenged me about my running but I have been criticised for "forcing" my dogs to do so much mileage (!)

Just entered La Rochelle marathon which takes place on the 30th Nov  Is a little close for comfort to Cognac (8th Nov) but we will see. Mind you, Barcelona and Cheverny this Spring were also 2/3 weeks apart and I managed to lurch through both of those and come out the other side so roll on November!

27/08/2014 at 16:23

Mamafox - I'm sure that you'll be fine. Please let me know how La Rochelle goes as i've had my eye on that one....

On Saturday I ran my fastest two miles at that section as a friend running the half paced me in. We finished with 5min km's and i was gasping for breathe at the finish!

I've had the same criticism about running Boyska. 'He's a dog ffs.... and even better - a husky. He's born to run and we run at the coolest parts of the day normally on trail or soft ground. I cannot understand it.

Big G - I have regular check ups at the cardiologist every few years and last time i was there he showed me a picture of my heart 10 years ago, 5 years ago and now. He said that he doesnt want to see me anymore because my heart is stronger and more healthier. He wished all of his cardiac patients took as much interest in keeping fit and eating right as i did.

27/08/2014 at 21:30

No one has ever challenged me about running. If they did, my response would be short and not very sweet. Life is too short to have to deal with people like that. 

I had a heart scan 3 years ago. The guy told me that I was in the top 1% of people that he sees and that my heart was in 100% good shape. Happy with that.

Mowzer - Amazing running, I honestly don't know how you do it!

Emmy - are you at Kent Coastal on Sunday week?

27/08/2014 at 22:03

Sorry to hear about your friend Big G. It does indeed put things into perspective.

Not run yet but really feeling I am close. May do a very short 3 miles to see how things are tomorrow.

As I won't be running Chester now, is there anyone on this thread that still hasn't signed up and wants to? There are no refunds and I am unable to defer but apparently I can transfer my entry to another runner. If anyone is interested then please PM me.

27/08/2014 at 23:05

Mowzer, you continue to amaze and inspire in equal doses. Hope you are recovering OK.

Big G, really sorry to hear about your club friend, that's so awful and unfair. We had a lady from our club die fairly suddenly last year. She was topping many club races with her age grade percentage up until about a month before she died. We now have an annual 5k club race in her memory.

I had a bit of a scare this week with my health. Went to doctors yesterday and she found a lump in my breast. Ended up having to have a mammogram and ultrasound at the hospital tonight. Luckily all OK but I was such a wimp throughout, shaking like a leaf and almost fainting during the mammogram. Kind of puts my achilles worries into perspective though. I'm going to order a new pair of shoes tomorrow to celebrate! For once OH agrees that this is a good idea

28/08/2014 at 07:18
SK, I'm glad you had good news after your scan. Enjoy your shoes
28/08/2014 at 07:25

(((SK))) - that must have been very frightening for you (and OH), thank goodness you are OK.   I am impressed that your celebrations will involve a new pair of running shoes.

mamafox - I still ate sparingly during the race but was much better this time, I included some sweets with more fat in them as this seems to steady my stomach, most successful were the  Cadbury's fudge, although they're only 16g of carbs each I found them really easy to eat.  I also had some ordinary vanilla fudge and that went down well.  I bought some dried fruit, pears, peaches and apple as they are high carbs but I forgot to take them with me!   As an experiment I took a small piece of cheese as I know that can settle the acid and good if you wants something savoury, I bought the processed stuff that kids love as it was conveniently wrapped, it was disgusting tasted like plastic but it did the trick so next time I will take a piece of ordinary cheddar!

You'll be fine on 2 marathons in one month!

Emmy - be careful getting friends to run you in, disqualifications for pacing are not uncommon

That's brilliant news about your heart, you are a great example of the benefits of exercise

Moore - wow, top 1% that's brilliant.

Lee - such a shame you have to forgo your race but there will be another one and that sub 4.   Sorry won't get to meet you this time.

5 mile run today, toe joint still sore but probably a pain level of 3 compared to a 5 of yesterday.  Really warm and humid

28/08/2014 at 08:24

Big G - I've decided not to do the Ladies 10k on the 14th, I think this niggle I have in my toe joint will be sore again after my 50 miler on the 6th and not enough time to recover for a short speedy race.   I'm probably not in PB shape for a 10k either at the moment. 

28/08/2014 at 10:29

Moore - I wont be there. I'm next running a double 13-14 Sept.

((SK)) - well done for getting checked out. My mum was diagnosed in January with breast cancer so i know the importance of regular check ups.

Shades - You're right. I wasnt expecting them to run with me (as they were on the grass). I've tried cheddar before but i struggle with keeping it cool enough.

28/08/2014 at 11:30

Shades, no problems about the Ladies 10K.  Hopefully we'll catch up soon

I hadn't really thought about pacing people in before.  However, didn't Paula get into a bit of strife about that (getting paced by men), although she hadn't broken any rule that was there at the time as far as I'm aware, and she obviously ran the marathons herself!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/22/sports/for-womens-road-records-only-women-only-races-will-count.html?_r=0

I still think Paula is among the best athletes that's ever lived.  The fact that her record still stands where as the men's record gets chipped away at fairly regularly is testament to that I think.  When you read up about this though the question arises as to why aren't the Kenyan women (for example) now the world record holders?  Even the answer to that is complicated as there are social/discrimination issues in parts of Africa that restrict women from running, which people think has a bearing on it, whereas the men are unrestricted to an extent.  The book "Running with the Kenyans" touches a bit on this, as male runners are respected/encouraged (regardless of if they're earning any money or not) whereas the women runners aren't as much.

Regardless of all that, what Paula achieved is amazing I think.

Day off for me today and tomorrow  I got a 20-mile ride in this morning.  It was bad weather but I quite enjoyed it

Edited: 28/08/2014 at 11:32
28/08/2014 at 12:50
SK that sounded very scary. A relief for you. I went through something similar with my daughter earlier in the summer. The hospital was lovely and quick to reassure her. She felt life was starting again
Big G so sorry about your club mate.
Mowser I was gripped by your race reports. You are AMAZING!
Lots of other good running. Sorry I am not commenting on all.
I had some nice runs at my parents in Dorset. Along the river in Wareham then back along the walls. My hubby and I then had a lovely weekend in Amsterdam to celebrate his 50th birthday and our 20th wedding anniversary. We had a brilliant weekend, I love Amsterdam
Back to trying to fit my runs in around work and still having my children off school. Keeping my runs ticking over for the GNR in 10 days...
28/08/2014 at 13:14

Emmy - I hope your Mum is doing well.

Yes, I may have to put up with the cheddar getting a bit warm but at least the flavour will be better than the sweaty processed stuff I ate last week.

Big G - there are still EA rules enforced re pacing, and the Duchy disqualified a female runner who was paced round by a man a few years ago, she finished in 1st or 2nd place.   Although there are pacers in many races now, they rarely pace the whole event (for the elite) and for us lesser mortals there are pacers to the finish line should we choose to use them.   I think a true PB is one you run on your own at your pace.

I too agree Paula is an outstanding runner and I don't think we'll have such a good runner again.

I don't think the women have had the incentive to beat/reach Paula's record, whereas with the men they are chipping a few seconds here and there at their world record, the women would need to improve by nearly 2 minutes, which is a lot at their pace.  

Lily - glad your daughter was OK after her scare.

Gosh only 10 days to GNR!

28/08/2014 at 14:34

SK - That must have been a rollercoaster of emotions yesterday, I am so relieved for you that all is well. You are right, everything else pales into insignificance after something like this. Look after yourself (()) (And as Big G says.. enjoy those shoes )

Emmy - Well impressed with you coming out with 5min/km at the end of a trail marathon! How many marathons are you up to now? Are you still going for time goals or mainly focusing on getting the figures up? I know you love your running and from your accounts of your races it is obvious you are enjoying them too - I was just wondering what your objectives are.

I remember you mentioned your mum was ill. I hope things aren't too difficult for her.

Big G - That was an interesting link about world record/ world best. Minefield. Looking at Paula's figures like that makes me realise just what an amazing runner she is.

Lily - What are you going for at GNR?

Shades - Good news that you have found a nutrition plan that seems to be working. That 50 mile race is going to be a real test of that.

Having an unscheduled day off today. Bit of a twinge on the side of my knee. Have been clocking up a fair bit of mileage and yesterday had an extreme tempo session due to being followed by poxy horseflies (I am not joking!) Annoying but probably right thing to do

28/08/2014 at 14:54

Hi Mamafox,

I'm focusing in 2014 on doing marathons ive never done. So September includes a fancy dress one and a beer marathon! I do want to get to 100 but also want to enjoy the journey.

I hope that your knee gets better with some rest. I hate horse flies too

28/08/2014 at 15:20

A beer marathon?! Ha! - and a fancy dress one.... dare I ask?..

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.