Shades Marathon Training

66,481 to 66,500 of 67,663 messages
28/08/2014 at 16:06

((slowkoala)) - so glad your news was good - a great relief . Enjoy the shoes.

lily - sounds like a very nice weekend

28/08/2014 at 16:25
Thanks for all your virtual hugs and nice messages. Lily, I can understand how your daughter felt like she was starting again, it really makes your appreciate things and people more (well at least for today!) I feel very lucky and have a renewed respect for everyone I know who has been through cancer. Not ordered the shoes yet as can't decide between some racing adidas adizero adios 2s in bright pink and silver (already have in red and don't really need another pair yet) or some new Saucony's which I need. Hmmm.

Emmy, hope your mum is doing OK at the moment. Is she still having treatment? Your racing plans sound really fun - how many marathons have you done to date?

Mamafox, really hope your knee feels better soon. Hopefully you have nipped it in the bud early.

Shades, could you try freezing the cheese pieces so they don't melt too much when you are racing? Hope the toe feels better soon.

Big G, Paula will always my biggest hero in the running world (aside from Shades if course). It's such a shame that she never got an Olympic gold as her marathon record will won day be taken from her, although it is of course testament to her that it has survived so long. I read her book a couple of years ago and was really inspired. A couple I know were in the same year as her at Lougborough uni and say you could set your clock by her presence on the track on set days and times - even back then she was known for her dedication and discipline as much as for her talent.

Lee - really sorry to hear that you won't be doing Chester in October. Hope your achilles starts to improve soon.
28/08/2014 at 17:17

Slowkoala - she's finished radiation but in recovery. Its rather frustrating as she's quite stubborn and wont accept help (cant see where i get that from ). I've done 64 marathons so far. I'd go for the saucony

Mamafox - it's one in Holland that does a "theme" every year. This year its "once upon a time in the west" so cowboys. I'm trying to find a good outfit!

Shades - this may sound a little silly but have you got a mini cool bag? that could keep stuff cold whilst you're running.

Lily - welcome back and great to hear you had a good time

29/08/2014 at 07:15

mamafox - hope you didn't get bitten, horseflies are evil beasts

SK - have fun deciding which shoes to have

I can't freeze the cheese as I'm away from home, but I can buy cheddar in mini sealed portions so will buy one of the stronger ones, less likely to melt I think.

Emmy - I could only use a cool bag if I was doing a race with laps.

Congrats on your 64 marathons, any tentative plans when/where for your 100th?

BTW BM was so happy with all his Facebook messages at Longford, he kept checking his phone! 

6 miles for me today, pain in foot down to a 2 and the swelling is reducing.

29/08/2014 at 08:05
Morning all...
Emmy - 64 marathons wow . Just shows I'm still a novice at 4. Chester will be my 5th.
Shades - glad the foot is feeling better, must be a relief with your next race just days away.

Yesterday I headed out for a run and decided to bring my 10 yr old with me but on his bike so he could keep up.. Well I spent most of the run telling him to watch out for other people and to hurry up..extremely frustrating. At one point I got into a very comfortable section and decided to completely open the taps. I was running at 5:26/mile and I looked back and my son was wayyyyy back so I had to ease off otherwise I would of lost him grrr. In the end we did 10 miles and at least he did get back to the car. Think I'll take him out more till he gets fitter..
When do we get our race pack for Chester?
29/08/2014 at 08:53

Shades - Cathedral city do little packed cheeses. I've seen a colleague bring them over. They're roughly 10-20g per pack and lovely to snack on.

No idea about 100 so far. I was hoping it to be one of traviss's but i need to work out my calendar for next year. if everything goes to plan (touch wood) i'll be at 81 by the end of the year.

Iain - that's amazing pacing per mile. Its lovely to run with your son - did he enjoy it? Perhaps keep him to the shorter stuff until his fitness improves. I know my sister used to take one of her son's out for 4-5 miles on his bike but had to bribe him with an ice cream at the finish!

29/08/2014 at 08:55

bah Emmy....

already nominated i see, struggling to find others to nominate being i gets the er ice bucket challenge in a little while

then its head down to MK for enigma reverse double weekend end and to decide whether i wanna give one of the two days a faster run or not

29/08/2014 at 08:59

Keith - I was one of the first

Hope you have fun at the lake. Do i see a lot of family sized desserts in your near future?

29/08/2014 at 09:02

Emmy - er doubtful not staying at a prem inn but the MK central TL instead so will prob head back soonish after saturdays and i am intending to go more or less straight back home after sundays as i have work monday

29/08/2014 at 13:14

Iain - oh dear, perhaps better to do your longer runs alone and when you have  short easy run and not so concerned about pace, take your son along.

Don't know about race packs for Chester...just checked the website and it says they will be posted to us 2 weeks before the race.

Emmy - yes, I have my eye on the Cathedral City cheddar packs

So next year for your 100th then.  I'd like to be there but unfortunately won't be if it's an off road event

Keith - good luck for the weekend.

Emmy - are you doing a different double this weekend?

29/08/2014 at 13:27

Talking of Chester, what do you think

"Pasta party" the night before

meet up on the morning of the race,

or both

29/08/2014 at 13:35

S3200H - oh definitely meet up for dinner the night before the race so we can all have a natter.   There's a food pub next to our Travelodge, we could book a table?

Then we can have a rendezvous point for race morning, and maybe post race too.   Pre race is always tricky as we'll all be faffing and loo queuing etc.

29/08/2014 at 13:47

Sounds great, would be good to book a table,  think this is an up two date list

has anybody heard anything from Khanivore 

Shades                Entered         Dinner

S3200H                Entered        Dinner

Kingkenny            Entered

Iain Love               Entered

Keith M Stuart      Entered

Khanivore             Entered

Rattler                  Entered

29/08/2014 at 15:06

I still have the "Shadies Runners" banner I made for the london marathon last year , my OH could wait at the finish somewhere with it visible so we can all meet there. I am definitely up for a "pasta party" of sorts the evening prior to the race. 

29/08/2014 at 16:43
MF no real plan for GNR...my half marathon PB is 2.22 but will be happy with 2.30. I daren't predict as so far that has not worked! Just excited about the experience
Hope everyone is well and has a good weekend running /racing.
29/08/2014 at 17:03

Lily - Bet you will have a fab time at GNR - will be a great eperience from what I've heard!

Emmy - I am sure you will make an extremely beautiful cowgirl

Shades - No, I was not bitten by the horseflies. A combination of sprinting with flailing arms while swearing loudly seemed to do the trick. Good news that injury sems to be on its way out. Is that one that you've had before?

Iain - +1 for taking a child with you on bike only on shortish runs that "don't matter". I have the patience of a gnat and things only end in tears when I am determined to run a certain way and I have a grizzly child moaning about being tired by the side of me

Lovely long run done today - all well within HR zone. Very pleased. Wildlife seen: Three ponies, two llamas and a Boa Constrictor.

There is a small travelling circus in nearby town

29/08/2014 at 20:58

Well i did my ice bucket challenge and for those who can see (Emmy only i suspect) its on my fb page. Two buckets cos i can

Doubtful i'd do dinner for chester as i am nowhere near chester it self but will check when back home

29/08/2014 at 22:00
Soooo jealous of you all going to Chester. I can't wait to hear all about it and expect to see photos on here!

Emmy, that's great that your mum has finished her treatment and a good thing that she wants to do things for herself - although I can see that this must be frustrating for you.

I too have no patience with running plus kids on bikes. The only exception to this is if another adult is cycling with the kids so I don't have to watch them. I like running because I get to spend time on my own

OH took kids on bike ride in London yesterday. He and the two older boys hired Boris bikes and they took a bike on the tube for the youngest. On returning home though, as it was rush hour they weren't allowed to take the bike on the tube. So he had to buy a lock from argos, secure the bike and return home without it. He then had to drive in later that night to pick it up!

Lily, did you run the GNR last year or is this your first time? A friend's daughter is starting at newcastle uni next month and she plans to run it next year. I'd love to join her as we are a similar pace.

I keep writing posts and then get bombed out of the site. Also I have to sign in each time. Not sure why this has changed - what do I need to do to be permanently signed in, I can't find it in settings?!
29/08/2014 at 22:01
Mamafox - a boa constrictor??!!
29/08/2014 at 22:13

18 miles scheduled for tomorrow, I'm going to mix up a bit of cross country with a hill climb with some stunning scenery just to make it a bit interesting.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.