Shades Marathon Training

67,201 to 67,207 of 67,207 messages
Today at 13:35

big_g - Good to see the running is going well. Could do without the probate stuff though, must be frustrating.

jugula - That's not a good experience, I hope it hasn't put you off. It's finding the cause of the problems that is sometimes frustrating, look at your diet/hydration in the days leading up to the Marathon, maybe a bug etc.

Cracking 10 mile time SK

Iain - Probably still recovering from Chester & not specifically trained for a 10k. I'm not keen on the faster shorter stuff either but something I want to improve on, just feels like I'm hanging on for the entire race & lungs & legs hurting!

Hope the foot rights itself Shades, good move on withdrawing I think, good luck with Dublin.

Abingdon is on my list as well, mainly as it's a local one for me (well not now but I grew up in Oxford and know Abingdon well), you haven't inspired me to do it though

Had a nice 7 miler along the River Dee on Friday & then had a very lazy weekend, did plan a couple of little runs but they never happened. I'll head out tonight for 4-6 & a few tomorrow (looks a bit windy tomorrow!)

Snowdon on Saturday which I feel massively under prepared for so no time pressures which is good although I'll be upset if I don't beat last years time, 4:56.

Today at 13:46

Shades/KK/Iain- talking about the shorter stuff I genuinely think I'd get as much satisfaction of going under 20mins for a 5K (for example) as I would getting a marathon PB.  For me, when a 5K or 10K goes well I find it really enjoyable (does this make me odd?)!  

I think it's because you're on the edge of your ability so have to be very realistic of what your ability is.  A few seconds a mile too slow and then you know you haven't got the time you're capable of, but a few seconds a mile too quick and you can detonate making it a very horrible experience indeed!  For some reason I quite like that about a 5K in particular....!!  However, I know even if it all does go horribly wrong I know I can finish a 5K whereas for me there is that element of doubt going into a marathon which adds to the stress.

If/when this injury clears up properly, I have been thinking about trying to do some 5K specific training, but I don't real know what that entails at the moment.  Please don't banish me from this thread!!!  ;)

Edited: 20/10/2014 at 13:47
Today at 15:22

Big G, I'm with you on the sub 20 5k, it's definitely high up on my wish list! My 10 mile time in McMillan gives a 20:07 5k, but that feels a long way off what I could manage right now. It's weird how people differ - a club mate who easily bashes out sub 20 5ks was 3 mins behind me in my 10 mile race and another club mate who always beats me in our timed miles was almost 10 mins behind. And yet I've run a lot more timed miles and 5ks versus 10 mile races but for some reason just can't find the speed! Can I blame being a girl?!

Today at 17:47

Just got home, stomach hurts again, I think I may have had a bug which would have gone almost unnoticed in normal circumstances but I also need to look at my fuelling prior to and during the race to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Any advice greatly accepted.

Edited: 20/10/2014 at 17:52
Today at 17:58

SK, funnily enough my 5K, 5M, 10K and Half times were more or less in line with Mcmillan.  My marathon time is pretty weak though 

My 5K time is 20:36.  I'd love to get that time to below 20:00 but we all know that knocking 37 seconds off a 5K takes a bit of effort.  37 secs off of 3.1 miles sound easy, doesn't it?!

Today at 18:16

Big G, my parkrun PB is the same as yours (20:35) so any training tips appreciated!

Today at 21:36

Shades - I've pinged you an email!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
67,201 to 67,207 of 67,207 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.