Shades Marathon Training

69,821 to 69,830 of 69,830 messages
26/11/2015 at 13:15

Ian - just as well the long run is your favourite session, you're going to be doing a few

SK - just seen some Boston Boost on M & M Direct, they're version 5 so probably last years? but £34.99, a bargain if they have your size

26/11/2015 at 14:59

Whether the long run remains my favourite when I'm getting to the high numbers is yet to be seen 

26/11/2015 at 15:06

Thanks Shades, that's an absolute bargain! These are the same pair I thought I was ordering for £50 from that site that ended up being in China. Still not got money back and I have since got them from Start Fitness for £60! Now don't know whether to order another pair...

27/11/2015 at 07:03

Ian - lots of runners dread and worry about the long runs so it's good that you have a positive attitude about them

SK - I've bought a lot of my running stuff from M & M and always had great service and some fantastic bargains.   They have a lot of Adidas shoes at the moment, unfortunately they don't seem to suit my foot type, there are plenty others that they have that do suit me though.  I don't really need any more running shoes I have 21 pairs on my spreadsheet at them moment!   I do have my eye on a pair of Asics DS, if the price drops a bit more I might be tempted as good shoes.

Lovely mild morning here, had a great run

27/11/2015 at 22:46
Feels like I may have twinged my calf right at the bottom,got a sharp shooting pain so looks like no run for a few days.
Glad I started my plan a few weeks early,may be because I have had a couple of weeks off work so have been out most days.
Yesterday at 06:09

Ian - take it easy and some gentle stretching (on both legs), hopefully it is just a niggle and you've caught it in time.

Rest day for me today, gym this afternoon.  I'm not doing well finding time to go to the gym after work in the evenings, so am just going weekends now.   Once I've finished my job I can go every day   I only have 4 more Monday mornings....not that I'm counting

Yesterday at 07:48

Morning all....

Well its a day off from work today so i have decided to do my LSR this morning..a nice 14 miles along the river. I've had to layer up as its pretty chilly out there but I know I'll soon warm up. Have a great weekend and good luck to anyone racing.

Yesterday at 13:47

Sorry to gatecrash the thread hope no-one minds? Just wanted some advice really and thanks to Shades for emailing through the plans, I'm currently training for London 2016.

Some background, been running for 18 months, painfully slow and have only taken it really seriously the last 6 months. Got into VLM through the ballot and since then been training and want to do it seriously. Averaging 3-4 runs a week (more 3 than 4 if I'm honest) around 4-5 miles each with my LSR currently at 8 miles. Looking to properly start the plan in a few weeks, can commit to 4 runs a week on the whole.

So my query is, are the days of the runs on the plan fixed for a reason?. It currently has a Tuesday Wednesday, Thursday and a Sunday but can I jig around the mid-week runs at all as I normally run a Tues, Wed and Fri?

Finally I know the plan has an optional 5th run in it, can I use a Parkrun for that or is that a big no-no? They've just started a new one by me and I'm not planning to race it each week but don't want to cause problems for the Sunday LSR either.

Yesterday at 14:09

Welcome to the thread Jackygirl! I'm running London in 2016 too so it will be good to have someone else doing it too. I'll let Shades answer your questions but I'm sure it doesn't matter if you jig around the days.

I did a 5k yesterday in Hyde Park. Found it tough and my splits got progressively slower. But managed a sprint in the final 100m to overtake a lady, which put me in 5th place (19:50) for the ladies. Then did a parkrun today (the one which isn't quite 3.1 miles) in 19:08. But the results have me down as 19:18 which is weird, but not bothered as not a PB anyway and still 1st lady.

Kids have just remembered that I bought an advent thing last year which requires me to put sweets/gifts in 24 little pockets. Great! Now need to find enough ene to face the shops. Had hoped to go in town after my race yesterday but had to pick up son 2 from school has he landed on his back on a trampoline. Seems fine today.

Yesterday at 14:11

Shades - I'll be really interested to see how those daily gym sessions improve your running. They should hopefully help you to avoid injuries. Have you been given a specific program to follow?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
69,821 to 69,830 of 69,830 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.