Shades Marathon Training

70,321 to 70,340 of 71,296 messages
08/02/2016 at 07:50
Shades - I am surprised how pleased I am with that time.. I thought I would be disappointed it wasn't a pb but I wasn't trying for one. Got a very busy couple of weeks ahead so have to make any runs count as I don't think I'll get out Everyday. Got to try get more long runs in and focus cause London is approaching fast..
08/02/2016 at 08:01

Great racing results there everyone.. well done!

Cal - 18mths off.. eeeek! Just one month is feeling like forever right now 

Shades - I don't think you need to worry about doing push ups with all that gym work you are doing. I am rubbish at push ups and are having to repeat some weeks in this programme I am following. 

SK - That was one speedy child - most annoying. Bet that bloke was being pulled by his dog too. LOL at me getting a six pack - absolutely no chance of that happening. I have also found a "100 pull ups" programme which I intend to do and have asked OH to put up a bar somewhere for me. He fell about laughing until he saw the stony look on my face and realised I was being serious.

08/02/2016 at 09:17

I have a pull-up bar. Usually I use it to dry my Bikram yoga towels.

I can currently do three chins, though.

08/02/2016 at 11:34

Shades, yes there is a bit of a hill on it, which we had to do twice.  But the race starts and ends at the same point, so what goes up must come down  It's a slightly different route from when I did it in 2014.  It used to start and end on the River Exe, but now it starts and ends at a square in Exmouth, and it's one long loop and then one slightly shorter loop.

I think they must have had bad weather as all along the seafront was a large amount of sand, and the runners were running in the tyre tracks made by cars.  Like you say, it's a good race though.

Found out I was part of a Vet40 team which won a prize too, which was the icing on the cake.  It's the first prize I have won in running.  No idea what the prize actually is yet, as I wasn't able to stay for the prizes.

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/465898/gallery/fulfords_5.jpg?width=350

Anyway, I think I've talked enough about what was just a 5-mile race!

I do have an entry for a Half marathon next weekend, but I'm not going to do it.  The foot is a bit tender this morning, so I don't think racing a Half is wise at the moment.  Also, the organiser has said I can defer the entry to next year, so that's what I'm going to do.  I have another Half in March, so if I can I'd like to give that one a crack if the foot is okay.

08/02/2016 at 16:52

Hope those of you in the SW are surviving the weather. It seems oddly calm here at the moment, but we had a massive storm late last night and into the early hours which everyone is talking about in the office today.

BigG – a prize – how exciting! I saw pics of Exmouth on the news this morning and it said the beach had got considerably bigger as a result of the wind blowing the sand over the road.

Shades – thank you for the new paces (especially the predicted marathon time!) I think I'm pretty much doing that at the moment as I was at the top end of the previous paces, although my tempo runs could do with being a bit quicker. I did a 5 mile tempo run on the treadmill today at 1% incline and it felt really hard but the pace for the tempo miles was a bit slow. I suspect either my pacing on the treadmill is out or the incline made it harder than usual.

I know there are quite a few autumn marathons but I quite fancied defending my 3rd place in the Middlesex County Marathon championship (said tongue in cheek since there were only 5 of us in it!) I'm waiting to see if I get a place in the GNR before thinking about what I might do in the autumn. I got another "no" on Friday from the Royal Parks Half ballot. One of these days I will actually get a place in a ballot.

Mamafox/Cal - I am rubbish at pull ups and push ups, I think I have an inherent weakness in my shoulders but have never really done anything about it. Should add it to the long list of areas I need to work on. But first comes hips and glutes…

SK – beaten by a speedy child? How dare they! I know the sewage works you ran past, I can imagine they are a bit whiffy at the moment. I was v pleased with my splits, although you can see every 3 miles when I hit the headwind I lost 15-20 seconds on that mile. Have you got a slightly easier running week this week? Last week was brutal!

SystemJ – I definitely get a boost from gels, but I use them sparingly and only when my training runs get past 15 miles or so. I did have one during the half at the weekend and I really noticed the difference around 10-15 minutes after I had it. How much of that is a placebo effect, I don't know but it works for me.

08/02/2016 at 17:28

Louey - That tempo run probably felt a bit tough as it's only just after your stonking half marathon performance!

Big G - Well done on your race, glad to hear your foot seems to be ok too.

Cal - That's three chins more than I can do - I'm going to be starting on the negative chins (where you only have to lower yourself down )

Just noticed a bit of a typo in my last post - the pull up challenge is not for 100 pull ups but.. *cough* .. 20 

08/02/2016 at 22:52
So glad to have a rest day today, that storm Imogen sounds brutal!

Well done on getting a prize Big G. Shame you have to miss out on the HM but good that you can transfer.

Mamafox - 20 pull ups is still 20 more than I can do!

My schedule this week seems even worse than last week, with midweek runs of 12, 10 (with 6 at LT pace), 7 and 5 miles. I really don't have time to work or look after kids aswell! My oldest is turning 16 a week today and has a school 'prom' this week that I've had to buy him a suit for. Proms seem a bit early for someone who hasn't yet taken GCSEs! I'm trying to do him a phtobook but he was born pre digital cameras so it's a real pain scanning stuff.
09/02/2016 at 08:48

Iain - the weeks seem to go so fast especially when marathon training.

mamafox - I'd love to be able to do push ups, I make a pathetic attempt when we have to do them in Body Pump.   But at the moment I am focussing on mastering the lunge which I'm rubbish at, not helped that my weak foot isn't that flexible.  I am getting better but a couple of the instructors in the gym laugh at (with) me when I'm doing them.  They do agree that for runners the two best exercises for leg and glute strength are lunges and squats.   I'm fine with squats.  In my leg programme I have to do a set on the leg press, jump off and do a set of lunges, then repeat 3 further times.

I couldn't even do one pull up.  I'm so impressed by your determination.

Big G - I always remember that course being covered in sand blown in from the beach, quite annoying to run on.

Congrats on your first running prize, I hope it's a little plaque so you have a memento, rather than a bottle of wine

Wise decision on next week's half marathon, that might be a touch too much at this stage.

Louey - and I think you're capable of getting that sub 4 too.

Tempo pace on a treadmill would be really hard, especially if you're doing a few miles.

SK - I'm not surprised you don't have time to work or look after your children with that schedule, this is definitely more demanding than last year's training plan.

I'm so glad they didn't have proms when I was at school.

Yesterday was very windy down here with storm Imogen, I went out for a run at midday and  had to change my route as there's a lot of minor flooding and the wind was so strong I thought the trees were going to come down.   I run later on Monday as I have Yogalates at 9 a.m., I love this class, I think it's brilliant especially for runners as it stretches and seems to realign the body ready for the next weeks training.   We did a great stretch for achilles that I've never come across before.

Back to early morning running today, quite chilly but almost no wind at all thankfully.

Edited: 09/02/2016 at 08:50
09/02/2016 at 08:55
Shades - it's the same plan as last year! Maybe I've just turned into a wimp.
And it's pancake day today - I suggested to my 9 yo that I might buy a load of ready made ones and he looked horrified. I know they are easy to make but they just take all night to cook!
09/02/2016 at 09:14

SK - I don't remember your plan being as tough as this last year!

The ready made pancakes are lovely, I was really impressed when I had them.   Can't you buy them and then say 'here are the ones I made earlier' and heat them up?

09/02/2016 at 09:39

No shame in that, mamafox - I've struggled with them for years and I lose the ability to do them if I put on a few pounds. As well as negatives you could also invest in a resistance band (not the little theraband things - the big training bands. You can loop them over the bar and then put one foot in and they give you an assist. I got mine from My Protein). Also scap pull-ups. Bastically you just hang from the bar with straight arms and just contract your shoulder blades. You'll only move an inch or so but it's good training for the initial phase of the pull-up, and also good for posture.

Honestly though, I should work more on hips and glutes, too. And calves. Despite having calves like a rugby player, I can only do 20 one legged calf raises and that's not enough for an aspiring marathoner.

4 miler today - one mile warm-up (10:24) and three miles fast (9:24, 8:54, 9:05). Effort was even for all those three and the pace is a reflection of the elevation, so I'm happy with that. Lungs needed it.

Louey - my second rejection from RP. I was stupid enough to pay up front last year, thinking I'd have a better chance. I didn't make the same mistake this time! I'm definitely doing Ealing and I'd like to do Richmond Running Festival as well but, unlike last year, they're only a week apart so I'm not sure if that's a smart move. I ran a 10K a week after my last half of last year and got a PB so I guess it's possible.

Also, well done Big G - hope your foot improves.

09/02/2016 at 11:18

Louey & Big G - Well done on the races

Good to see everyones training going well. Ran my 15 miles Saturday (I was soaked when I finished!!) by feel and didn't look at my watch until about 12m in, averaging 8:40ish so I'm guessing that is my LSR pace now
4m tempo this morning, felt good as only 2m at tempo pace, but got towards the top end with a 6:44/6:43 for the tempo miles, which I was happy with as been finding these tough in other weeks. 10 miles tomorrow, was considering running home from work, then back in tomorrow but didn't get a backpack, so will do first thing. New running shoes purchased as others have more than a few miles on now!

09/02/2016 at 12:06

All this talk of pull ups reminds me of when I was at Uni.  I was at the gym with a few friends and, to be honest, we were all a bit crap at pull ups.  This chap came in who, putting it bluntly, was a real show off and thought he'd show us how it was done - and after one pull up claimed he'd done his shoulder in, and used that as an excuse to say he couldn't do any more.  But just a couple of hours later he was playing a vigorous game of squash, using the shoulder he apparently had just tweaked.  Maybe you had to be there, but oh how we laughed

I don't tend to like running 3 days in a row, but I knew I wasn't able to run today so got a slow 8-miler in quite late last night.  Foot feels okay today.  All being well, I'll get along to the club's speed session tomorrow.

I won't post any more pics, but I'm in Exeter today and somehow found myself in the place where I got that cream tea from on the weekend.  I had French toast, bacon and maple syrup and it was gorgeous!  Swilled down with a large coffee....

09/02/2016 at 14:03

Big_G - that sound similar to a mate of mine. He challenged me to a pull up competition but he put money on the fact he would beat me. He wagered £20 so i went first, did 16 before i was made to laugh and lost my grip. he started and by 10 he was struggling so he let go and said he had hurt his shoulder. Never saw that £20..

I am itching to go out today but i still have this nagging cough and stuffy head ad I'm scared I make it worse by running. Over the next few days, running will be tough as I have a concert to attend tomorrow and my folks are flying in on thursday for a week. I might try get over this cold but i am beginning to stress about the lack of training in prep for london.

09/02/2016 at 19:53
Louey wrote (see)

SystemJ – I definitely get a boost from gels, but I use them sparingly and only when my training runs get past 15 miles or so. I did have one during the half at the weekend and I really noticed the difference around 10-15 minutes after I had it. How much of that is a placebo effect, I don't know but it works for me.

Yeah, that's my experience. I struggle to believe you can transfer any significant amount of energy from stomach to muscles in 15 minutes, but I suspect the body may realise it's getting more energy and that might prompt it to stop complaining about the exertion. On Sunday I was surprised by how quickly and noticeably I perked up after I started fuelling.

On the subject of pull-ups... the most I've ever done in one continuous set was 28. That was a few years ago when I was doing a lot of strength training. I love pull-ups and would die to have a bar in our flat, but as we rent I can't damage the woodwork, and the weird architecture means there's not a single suitable doorframe for those bars you hook over the top.

10/02/2016 at 08:51

Cal - you're definitely getting back your running fitness, what date is your next race?

Steve - well done on your 15 miler in all that rain.    It's good that you can settle into your long run pace without checking your watch every 5 minutes.  You'll be needing those new shoes soon too.

Big G - your foot injury is much better as your can run more often now.

French toast, bacon and maple syrup sounds divine, what happened to that paleo diet?

Iain - maybe you should just hold off running until you're better, if you can do that you should lose no more than a few days training.

Big G/Iain  - ha ha at the pull up stories.   I haven't seen any of the guys in my gym trying to outdo each other with pull ups but last week there was a girl there, blonde and I think what the guys would say 'fit'.  She was doing some serious weights just minding her own business ( I would guess she is an athlete of some sort).   Then she took off her t-shirt, down to crop top and shorts and did some text book pull ups, I thought the old guys on the treadmills and cross trainers were going to fall off their respective machines.

System J - when you feel low during a run/race it's often caused by low blood sugar and taking on some fuel your body responds by quickly sending some of that sugar to your brain and suddenly it doesn't feel so tough and your mood lifts.   This will happen to you in your marathon too.  The brain is a very powerful part of distance running.

Heavy rain and chilly wind this morning for my run, rain eased off thankfully.   We have more flooding here, I noticed a swan having a nice swim where there should have been cattle grazing

10/02/2016 at 09:13
SHADES wrote (see)

French toast, bacon and maple syrup sounds divine, what happened to that paleo diet?

Ha ha, yeah, paleo isn't really working at the moment!  I have dropped the weight I put on over Xmas though, so I'm pleased about that.  I'd like to lose a couple of pounds more though for racing, which I will do.  In fairness, I am still eating a lot of fruit and veg still, but certainly not as strict diet as I was last year   

Club session tonight, and it's the speed or hill-rep session.  Looking forward to it  

10/02/2016 at 14:11

As a final comment on the pull up topic, I think I should make it clear that I haven't actually started the pull up programme yet! The press up one is going well but the pull up challenge came to a grinding halt when we discovered that a proper pull up bar from Decathlon costs around 50 Euros  Mr Fox has gone off mumbling about finding an iron bar from somewhere so hopefully we can sort something out soon.

Hadn't thought about lunges Shades, I'll have a look at those too. On a foot note have you got another appointment to see a podiatrist yet?

Saw my doctor again this morning, it's a bit of a trek out to see this doctor but I'm very glad I did. He agreed that things were dragging on a bit so really checked everything over to make sure there was no "micro fissure" which I think is a stress fracture. He confirmed there was not and informed me the swelling had gone down and the fluid inside was now much more "oily" which was a definite sign of improvement. I'm not quite sure how he could work that out but I trust this doctor. He is an old Chinese man who is very "hands on" and into self healing. He told me once that his own teacher was blind and I've noticed that he often closes his eyes when he's examining an injury. Anyway, he said that in his opinion healing was well on the way and I could start running again which is fab news  It's still not going to be perfect but at least things are moving in the right direction and I feel much more positive.

Sorry for going on a bit there!

10/02/2016 at 14:19

Shades - Got new shoes on Sunday, wore them for tempo run on Tuesday and will probably use them for my 5m tomorrow.

Got into GNR through the ballot too

10/02/2016 at 14:52
Shades - I have decided to err on the side of caution and not run until Saturday at the earliest.. I know my fitness won't really be effected nor my speed. My only concern is the long runs I've done a couple of 15's and 18's but I know I need to fit in at least 4 x 20m+ and in essence only 8 weeks to do them (10 weeks till London minus 2 weeks taper) or would you think I could do a 1 week taper
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.