Shades Marathon Training

70,361 to 70,363 of 70,363 messages
Today at 15:10

MF, good news the foot is much better, but bad news about the chest infection.  The scuppered my marathon back in October, which was really annoying!  I still haven't entered another one for Spring yet!

Ian5, it's hard to know what to do when you want to get the miles in, but generally speaking if a cold has gone to the chest, I tend not to run.  I think Shades monitors her RHR so uses that as the basis of whether to run or not after a cold.  I hope yours clears soon.

I enjoyed my run this morning, and with a 9:30am start we managed to avoid the worst of the rain.  With a bit of looping back I got 16 miles in, which I was pleased about.  I felt fine, although I never really warmed up on the run - I had a hat, gloves, scarf, t-shirt and a long sleeved shirt on but I'm still cold now, even though I have the fire on and a hot pot of tea in front of me!  We were supposed to have cake at a place called Darts Farm, which is very good, but it was totally full and we couldn't get a table (there were 12 of us).  So we went up the road to a pub, where I scoffed a treacle sponge with custard, and a large coffee 

Today at 17:08

Shades, I had a couple of interviews at gyms and was unsuccessful, but the jobs didn't exactly fill me with enthusiasm, either. I decided I would wait until after the marathon so I could concentrate on training. I do have a flat I rent out so I have a small income to get by on, and I'm doing three days' cover at the school next month.

Regarding the club, I am a morning person so the evening sessions don't really suit me. I did a cross country session on a Saturday with them and quite enjoyed that but most of the training seems to be evenings and Sundays.

Mamafox - great news re: the foot. I remember getting a really horrid cold (with sinusitis) just after tearing my calf and the forced layoff was ultimately beneficial. I'd just started running again and was hoping to do a half marathon that October (I tore it late July) which would have been my first for three years. I would have had to ramp the mileage up a lot to make up for missing six weeks of running so, in a way, the cold was a blessing in disguise and probably saved me from reinjury. I was able to defer until the following Spring, which kicked off last year's eight half marathon epic.

Today at 19:17

First 20 miler of the plan today, same average pace as previous long runs, which was good. Wasn't sure if I was going to do the full 20 as haven't felt great the last few days as had a cold, still had a VERY runny nose today, not sure if I could have blown my nose more during that run if I had wanted to!! Highest weekly mileage for me too this week with 40.7

Ian5 - I agree with Big_G if it's on your chest, probably best to rest, however much you want to get the miles in.

Big_G - Vietnam sounds amazing. My friend went and keeps telling me I need to go, haven't got there yet though!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
70,361 to 70,363 of 70,363 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.