Shades Marathon Training

72,061 to 72,080 of 72,482 messages
26/07/2016 at 18:05

Afternoon folks....

well I have been a little lax with training since my long run last Thursday,  plus We arrived in Scotland yesterday so been a bit busy too but I got out for a very comfortable 6.5 miles today and it was so nice running in the clean air and cooler temperatures. I was able to get some pace back in my run where I averaged 6:35/mile. I'm going to do a few more runs like that and then do a long run on Friday. 

27/07/2016 at 07:55

Big G - sounds like it's really well organised.   From when I had my club I found the key is to inform the runners that will be up the front and those at the back of the route so that there are no wrong turnings.

Iain - lovely running conditions.   I don't consider that I live in a polluted area but at Loch Ness marathon I really do notice the improvement in air quality.    Enjoy your holiday.

Bit fresher here today, the nights haven't seemed quite so oppressive.   Think we're due rain today, which will be welcome as it's dry and dusty and the grass verges are burnt

27/07/2016 at 08:21

Shades, the guy who runs it now has got an online system where coaches/leaders say when they're free over the next 2 or 3 months, and then he allocates the available people to a session (which are also all planned in advance).  There are 6 sessions on Monday and 5 sessions on Wednesday, so there're quite a lot of sessions to fill.  Plus fairly regularly, people say they can no longer do the session with quite short notice so then he's chasing around trying to find a replacement.

I did 7 miles yesterday, with 5 at tempo pace (7:30 min/mile pace) and I enjoyed it as I did it early evening, so it was a bit cooler.  Planning about 8-10 today, and then that's it as I have an early (5am!) start tomorrow.

27/07/2016 at 09:10

Big G - that's a lot of sessions to organise, and bound to have cancellations as if you have a niggle there's no way you want to lead out a group.

Good luck with the final packing today.

27/07/2016 at 22:23
Big G-Have a great time in Vietnam.
No running yet this week but that was always the plan, going to go for a run tomorrow and see how it goes.Been massaging my calf and feels better so hopefully be ok tomorrow,was planning a tempo at the weekend but seen a 10k I might do instead of Sunday.
27/07/2016 at 23:59
Just popping in to wish Big G a fab time in Vietnam. It sounds amazing, enjoy.. Looking forward to hearing all about it.
Edited: 28/07/2016 at 00:00
28/07/2016 at 07:48

Ian5 - hope the calf is OK on your run today.   Then you can do that 10k on Sunday

mamafox - are you still strimming?   Can't be much left to do now

Big G - I guess your on your way or already at the airport.   Have a wonderful time.

Still feels humid here, I think it was supposed to rain and it's really dark.   Wish it would rain and clear the air am fed up of running in this weather.

28/07/2016 at 10:51

Big G - Have a great time in Vietnam, looking forward to hearing all about it.

Tempo run for me on Tuesday, 2 tempo miles at 6:39/6:35 pace, with 4.5 miles in total with the warm up and cool down. Then 6 miles today at easy pace, sports massage this evening, so hopefully that will freshen the legs up nicely.

28/07/2016 at 11:26

Hi all

Back from holidays - as suspected I didn't run when I was away - not just because of the heat but because I had a chest infection.  Poor hubby had to cope with the kids in the pool while I lay on the lounger for a couple of days, because the (relatively) cold water left me unable to breathe.   I did manage to get in for the last couple of days, but half a length of breaststroke was all I could manage.

Very hot few days in London, then home to much cooler weather here, but I still haven't run (got back on Saturday) due to the washing mountain and being very busy at work.  I may pitch up at parkrun on Saturday to see how the break has affected my times, but probably next week will see me back running regularly again.

Hope everyone is injury free and running well.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to read back later.

28/07/2016 at 12:33

Steve - well you haven't lost any of your speed

Nessie - welcome back home.   So sorry to hear you were poorly on your hols.   Just ease yourself back into your running, you'll soon be back to your pre holiday fitness.

For anyone interested in running Potteries marathon in 2017, the date has been moved to last weekend in March so I will probably be moaning about the cold instead of the heat and humidity

28/07/2016 at 13:35
Great speed as always Steve.
Done my 14 miles today,all went well despite the 30mph wind in my face for 6k along the front,just went with effort rather than trying to keep the pace but then got back up to pace after I went inland a bit.
Think I need to get myself a sports massage on my legs,they are a lot better after diy but can still feel lots of tightness.
28/07/2016 at 17:55
Afternoon folks...
I've had a good day today, woke up this morning feeling fresh so I decided to get my trainers on ams head out for 10 miles before breakfast. Well the 10 ended up being 12 ams if it wasn't for the fact I was starting to feel hungry I would of done another 5-6. I do prefer running up here..

I had breakfast and then went out and got myself another tattoo so been a good day..
28/07/2016 at 18:05

Shades - I have done 27.5 hrs of strimming so far this month and am still not finished. I am determined to try and make up for lack of running with strength work etc so am keeping a record of daily sit ups, push ups etc and strimming is down there as well. I know I have issues 

Smallest child's birthday Monday so we went to the coast for a couple of days. I was outnumbered so ended up taking those pop up tents. Three seconds to put them up then at least 40 mins of swearing and struggling to get them back into a bag the size of a pencil case when you take them down.

We also had an exploding tyre on the way resulting in a 2hr stop by the side of a dual carriageway in searing heat. Due to dangerous position three boys couldn't get out of car so we all remained squashed and arguing in a Renault 5 for the duration. The 16yo hadn't come.; she had wisely stayed at home with her parrot and a friend. When i'd asked her if she wanted to come with us she just looked at me and said "Why?"

There you go, there's my news (sorry about non running post)

29/07/2016 at 06:55

Ian5 - I take it the calf didn't give you any problems on your run.

Do a little gentle stretching and you'll find a warm bath will make your legs feel good again.

Iain - you'll have to summer in the North in future so you can enjoy your training more

mamafox - you don't have issues, what you've done is work out a fitness regime and at least strimming is more productive than running.

Hours of fun with those tents!   Good to hear your 16 yo is exactly as a 16 yo should be   Bit scary having a tyre blow out

Non running posts are very welcome here.

Humid again this morning and overcast, wish it would rain.  Had a good run though

Edited: 29/07/2016 at 06:56
29/07/2016 at 08:00
Shades-It didn't give me any trouble as such but I could still feel it, feels like a ball inside pressing on the muscle,got a massage booked for Monday so will see if that improves it.
29/07/2016 at 09:52

Ian5 - might be best not to race this weekend until your calf feels OK.

29/07/2016 at 11:56

MF - Not good with the tyre blow out!

Ian - Thought I had been keeping my legs in decent condition with the foam rolling I had been doing. However at my massage yesterday, I realised that I still had a lot of knots etc in my legs which hopefully the massage has now fixed! I would defo recommend it, I only go for 30 minute sessions pre and post events but may try to fit in a regular session if I'm going to keep my mileage high.

Iain - Good to hear the running is going well while you are away. Remind me when your ultra is again?

29/07/2016 at 12:56

Hi everyone, I've been following Shades' marathon plan for Dublin at the end of October (great plan btw - thanks again Shades), but I will be on the other side of the world until the 6th of November as it turns out. I was hoping ye might know of a good marathon in November (Ireland preferably as the budget might be blown..)

I had a 9 year break from running (apart from the odd 10k in the summer), so I consider this a first marathon.

29/07/2016 at 13:58

Hi Eleta - welcome to the thread.   This is the link from my Irish Club http://marathonclubireland.asocion.com/2016-marathons-provisional/

so you'll not be able to do Dublin and need a race later, have I understood that correctly?

I've done the Eddie Murphy race, which is laps around a village, good event though.   But the Clonakilty marathon on December 3rd is a great race and probably the one that I would recommend http://runclon.ie/

29/07/2016 at 15:06
Hi all. Thanks for the good wishes!

I've arrived here safely, although I'm pretty tired now from the travelling.

I'm staying in a National Park for 10 days, which is one of Vietnam's most important in terms of animal conservation and welfare, so that's fantastic. I've been introduced to the project and they're a really good bunch and have sorted me out with a mobile SIM card, a bike and shown me the best places to eat near by. In the time off, they've also arranged some things for us to do including visiting a bear sanctuary, and a couple of other projects they're involved with outside the National Park.

The Park itself is beautiful and there are definitely some great running routes for me (Tarmac). The issue is the heat/humidity - it's ok for just walking around (with safer), but not sure abut running yet. We're 6hrs ahead over here and tomorrow AM will my first morning waking up here, so I'll see how the humidity feels first thing and decide from there. If I can't run, I'll definitely do some lesuirely cycling around though. But unlike Sri Lanka, it feels totally safe to run in terms of traffic - because there isn't any!

It's no place for someone attempting paleo though!!! Rice and noodles are the main dishes and I've had two meals so far that have both been superb. Oh, and the beer is very cheap indeed - happy days!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.