Shades Marathon Training

141 to 160 of 67,243 messages
15/01/2006 at 15:55
SHADES - you have mail.
16/01/2006 at 09:15
Shades, thanks for my paces. I forgot to say that I'll be interested to see how i get on with my tempo run as I always seem to run at the same pace in the past.

How does everyone else find the tempo runs?
16/01/2006 at 11:09
Mr Bump

Long runs 8.30 to 9.30 min/miles
Easy runs 8.30 to 9.00 min/miles
Tempo runs 7.15 to 7.35 min/miles

Your race times for 10k and half show that there is scope to knock quite a bit off your marathon PB. You could do sub 3.30 providing you get enough long runs in at the right pace.
16/01/2006 at 11:11
Nick - don't forget to do 1 mile easy, then ? at tempo pace and 1 mile easy to warm down.
If schedule says 4 miles tempo, that's 2 miles warmup and down, and 2 miles at tempo pace.
16/01/2006 at 11:13
Thanks Shades.
16/01/2006 at 15:03
Hi Shades, please can I have a copy of your plan. I've trained for 10k races on 3 runs a week. Have only just introduced a fourth run in the week and I'd like to run a half marathon in May.

Thanks in advance.

Will send email now.
16/01/2006 at 18:32
Thanks Shades. I was thinking the same as you - that I have plenty of scope to work at on my marathon PB.

We're not too far out with our pacings either. In the last week, left the watch at home and ran as I felt. Long run of 13 miles was at 8:25, a tempo run of 5 miles was at 7:24.

Thanks again

:-)
16/01/2006 at 20:26
Mr Bump - you're welcome and good pacing.
16/01/2006 at 20:37
Thanks Shades!
17/01/2006 at 12:42
I've been following the plan and was doing really well until everything tightened up last week.

GOing for a sports massage tomorrow that will hopefully help the problem and get me back going again.

I've sent you an email re my pacing times

Thanks, Tgks
17/01/2006 at 16:08
Well Shades, I'm afraid I've fallen off the plan too. Well actually I haven't yet apart from doing the tempo run today at easy pace! But lower legs no good so it's back to fizz to see whether they can order in a new pair! I have been trying to manage this with self massage, ice, anti inflams in between but they're still ''pretty bad''!

I have a 16 miler at the weekend and I WANT to do it!! So i'm going to rest up now and do all the usual, ice, anti inflams, carry on with exercises that I'm already doing with hope that things will have calmed down enough to do long run.

This is the first time I've attempted a schedule and I'd really like to see it through if my legs will allow me to, so we'll see!

17/01/2006 at 16:16
The reason I need a pair of new legs is because I've probably been going too fast and not heeding what our mentor told me :))
17/01/2006 at 17:16
tiredgirl - I wish I could say the sameas then at least I would know the cause, but this is not the case for me. The reason I thought Shades plan was such a good one for me was that I believed that if I just ran 3 times a week and stuck to a slower pace then I may be able to train without any more trouble. And it has been rewarding doing just that!

Unfortunately I have found that the trouble has come back regardless! Achilles strains are manipulative, evasive and extremely hard to beat!
17/01/2006 at 18:23
Sorry to hear your achilles problem has flared up again. Hope your physio can sort it soon. Don't give up.
17/01/2006 at 21:21
Shades - thanks very much for the Plan. I think i will struggle with the tempo runs at 9.20 - 9.40 but will do my best. The Plan looks very good and I hope to be able to stick to it. I need to work on leg strength I think so I will be cycling more on my rest days as I found that helped when I was injured earlier in the year.
I did an 8 mile run today, before I looked at your Plan, and my average pace was 10.62, so I need to sort out my pacing a lot!
Thanks again.
18/01/2006 at 12:14
It's interesting having a group of people who are following this plan. I'm on week 2 at the moment and am trying to get to grips with a slower pace. The Garmin's helping though.
18/01/2006 at 19:12
I haven't got a Garmin so adjusting my pace will be a bit of trial and error. I am looking forward to starting the Plan and did 1 hour cycling today. I will have a short run tomorrow or Friday and another at the weekend then start the Plan properly next week.
18/01/2006 at 19:17
Scooby - I spent two years suffering from Achilles (and calf) problems. The solution proved devastatingly simple.

The right shoes.
And inserts.

On the subject of shoes: Mrs Snaps has had awful knee trouble since she whacked her knee in October. She stopped running for three or four weeks and when she started again it still gave her hell.

Then she went back to an old pair of shoes (prior to her treadmill-video-gait-analysis ones).

And overnight her knee trouble vanished.

So if I were you I'd have a really close look at your shoes ... of course I expect you've done that. But even so ...
18/01/2006 at 19:19
The plan is great! I am on week 5 now - hoping that the 14 miler this weekend will be OK!!!
Dark Vader    pirate
18/01/2006 at 19:30
Does the Garmin have a display that shows estimated pace, or is it simply a kind of guesswork based on experience?

141 to 160 of 67,243 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.