Short HM schedule (post marathon)

6 messages
08/05/2013 at 09:33

Hi - have just completed a marathon  and entered a HM in 5 weeks time.  I'm trying to find a schedule which can get me up to speed in the next few weeks as I find it hard to train without a piece of paper telling me what to run & when.  I've looked at the training plans on here but can't find anything below 12 weeks.  Can anyone point me in the right direction please?  Also, how realistic am I for wanting to run the HM at full effort 5 weeks after a marathon PB? Thanks.

08/05/2013 at 20:56

Anyone?

08/05/2013 at 22:21

It is not unrealistic to run a good half marathon five weeks after a marathon as you should have a good aerobic base already in place. The temptation may be to hit the training hard, whereas you will probably be better off letting yourself recover for a couple of weeks with some easy runs / cross training, and then follow up with some faster sessions in the week or two before the half.

I can't see there being anything published to train for a half 5 weeks after a marathon - that is quite specific. Some useful reading is P&D Advanced Marathoning as it has a chapter in running multiple marathons. They have a schedule for 4 weeks between races. You could adapt this by putting in some half marathon specific sessions. The focus is very much on recovering fully before the next race.  

08/05/2013 at 22:30

I think it's very realistic, my best halls have always been in May after an April marathon. I usually forget about long runs for a week or two, then start back with a gentle ten miles or so, and do maybe 15 two weeks before the half. Midweek I would look at 6-7 miles tempo runs and good hill sessions/intervals. that marathon training is going to stay with you for a while yet, I think you'll do well.

if you really need a plan, just work back from race day and crash into one of ones you like, you should be able to pick it up ok.

09/05/2013 at 08:25

Pfitzinger and Douglas has post-marathon recovery schedules and also multi-marathon schedules, which you might find useful with a bit of tweaking.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Marathoning-Peter-Pfitzinger/dp/0736074600

Edit: somehow my brain completely missed the mention of P&D in AR's response.

Edited: 09/05/2013 at 08:28
09/05/2013 at 19:06

Thanks all - have just purchased P&D so will take a look. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.