SmartCoach

21 to 23 of 23 messages
01/01/2013 at 18:07

What is the point in this smart coach if it doesn't state the eventual aim !! 

I've run a 3:10 , 3:08 and a 3:01 marathon and I'd like to run sub 3 . How do I set it up to do that ? 

02/01/2013 at 14:17

I have a wild suggestion. How about you convert your current pb to an age-adjusted equivalent with the aid of an online calculator, then choose an aspirational time a bit faster than that and choose a program to match, but then convert the new aspirational time back to your age adjusted time and adjust your target times in the program accordingly.

Worked eg using age-graded WAVAcalc at runbayou:

• present age: 55
  • present marathon pb: 3:36:09
  • age weighted equivalent = 3:09:25

So I decide to set a target of 3:05-equivalent for my next marathon. The age weight applied to Open class for a 55-yo shown in the calculator is 0.8763 so I apply this factor to the 3:05 (185 minutes):

• 185/0.8763 = about 3:31

the same result can by found by typing 3:31:00 or another number into the Time field and watching the open-age-equivalent field. So for my next marathon I am aiming to hit 3:31 by following a 3:05 program, but in training I would adjust any target times down to about 88% as fast. Makes sense?

10/02/2013 at 19:42

Its more than 4 years since my last post in this thread, since when I have run around 8 half marathons a year, the London Marathon, and a variety of other races at 10k, 10 mile and 15 mile distances.

In all that time I have followed the recommendation I made in November 2008.  I use my aspired time as the 'Recent Race Time' and it has given me a good plan to work to.  Its what i am currently using in training for the London Marathon again in April and the 2 Half Marathons between now and then.

Frankly I don't think age makes any difference with the training as you are working to a time. I still score new PBs every so often, and certainly can't run any faster than 7:10 pace even downhill, but that's my age and it doesn't affect the legitimacy of the SmartCoach training plans so long as, as I said last time, you listen to your body.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 23 of 23 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.