Southampton Hills?

6 messages
09/01/2013 at 13:15

Hi All, Is anyone aware of a good hill in Southampton for some training? I'm struggling to find some - mostly for running, but cycling also. 

Also - any training hill rep recommendations would be greatly appreciated? 

Thanks in advance!

09/01/2013 at 16:03

I can't think of any in Southampton off the top of my head, but I don't know that area very well.  if you are prepared to travel then there are a few in the Meon Valley - Portsdown Hill, Butser Hill and Old Winchester Hill all spring to mind.

Or you could head off towards Winchester / Salisbury direction.  There are a few on the Clarendon Way, such as Farley Mount

Edited: 09/01/2013 at 16:08
10/01/2013 at 14:12

Whereabouts in Southampton are you?

The hills that surround the Sports Centre are pretty good, as is Ridgemount Avenue just off The Avenue.

And if you're the other side of the Itchen, then perhaps Woodmill Lane/Dell Road near Bitterne Park?

Farley Mount is a good shout too - love that place.  

10/01/2013 at 14:56

The steepest hills I know of are on the A27 between Southampton and Fareham, either side of the Hamble and either side of the Meon are really steep. I have cycled up those (at little more than walking speed), most people push their bikes up. I usually go out of my way to avoid them.

I stuck that in CycleStreets journey planner to get an elevation profile:

http://www.cyclestreets.net/journey/10811103/elevation10811103fastest300x120.png

11/01/2013 at 13:26

I'm just off of The Avenue in Southampton, I normally run around the Common but that's completely flat! Will head over to Farely hill tomorrow I think, A27 is a good shout too - thank you for the link, I'd not heard of that site before it looks great!

Thank you everyone

WJH
11/01/2013 at 13:36

How about Burseldon Road? You get various hills along that route...and Sarisbury Hill about 4/5 miles out is also a good challenge!

WJH

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.