Speed Endurance for 10k?

201 to 220 of 557 messages
14/05/2013 at 14:03

I had a "dull" sort of pain a few inches below my kneecap round towards the inside of the shin on my left leg.  It wasn't sore to press, but it was sore when putting weight on my left foot.

When I say "sore" it was way down the 1 to 10 scale.  Probably the worst it got was about 3, so more "uncomfortable" than sore.

I'd convinced myself it was a stress fracture because it didn't feel muscular or anything like that.  The GP was sure it was just a bit of muscle tissue damage (the muscles on the front of the shin "coming away" from the bone), which is the first step towards a stress fracture according to the google "research" I did.  So, if I'd kept going with the same intensity, I'd have been risking a stress fracture.

Anti-inflammatory tablets from the doc seem to have already sorted it though.  I'll not run for another few days though just to be sure I'm not going to aggravate it.

Mull of Kintyre HM www.mokrun.com (Unless something goes remarkably tits up, I will get a PB.  My previous PB from 3 years ago is 1:54:xx after no training.  I ran a comfortable 1:40:xx in training about 4 or 5 weeks ago).

Fraserburgh 10k https://sites.google.com/site/fraserburghrunning/ a couple of weeks later.  It will be more difficult to hit a PB here because of the proximity to the HM and only about 12 weeks or so after taking 4 minutes off my previous 10k PB.

14/05/2013 at 14:39

You seem a bit of a 'distance tart', by which I mean you do not focus on one distance (or terrain?). I quite enjoy doing different distances (terrains)... part of me says it stops me going stale and training on different surfaces helps prevent injury. But I cannot help but think it stops me from really good times.

But I think it is better to finish within the top xx% in terms of time or placing rather than going for a time... Having only a few fast flat local courses encourages this approach. That said I am proud of my pb's.....

Good luck in your races

ps was the Dr's diagnosis based on examination or x-ray (scan)?

Edited: 14/05/2013 at 14:41
14/05/2013 at 17:56

I'm new to running (as in new to taking it "seriously") this year.  I really enjoyed the 10k so that may turn out to be my focus, but there's a lack of local races here, so keeping things varied and going for marathons may keep me focussed on longer term goals.  10k racing on its own may lead to boredom as there are only 2 or 3 races local to me per year.  Churning out full 12-16 training programmes just for one 10k race all the time may get a bit tedious.

I don't know - I'll see how the HM goes and then see how the marathon goes later in the year.  I've got unfinished business with both distances after running them on shit training in the past and having not very good PBs...

The doc's diagnosis was based on just an examination.  He was definitive that if there was any fracture, him pressing down on the bone would have hurt and I wouldn't be able to walk about comfortably.  The quick working of the anti-inflammatory has me believing him.

14/05/2013 at 18:05
ye did go a bit quite. glad to read that the injury isn`t as bad as first feared though anyway. i also agree variety is important. after a very disastrous marathon attempt last year this year was going to be dedicated to the 10k distance but you know the marathon bug.......
managed to sneak a win the other week at the Cheshire 10k that was a buzz.
15/05/2013 at 13:19

Awesome - well done Andy!  Winning a 10k (or any race) is way beyond me at the moment... maybe one day though 

16/05/2013 at 21:14
Just trying to motivate others on here really calum. Wouldn't mind a nice shiny new 10k pb at the Stone 10k in 38days time. Hmmmpph reluctantly going to have to do some more bloody hard mile rep sessions.
09/06/2013 at 22:44

Fraserburgh 10k today - 42:01.  Another PB  

Off the back of not very good race prep too - about 4 weeks ago I had an injury scare which saw me pull back in the 2 weeks leading up to HM race, then the following 2 weeks my legs have been very tight so hardly any running.  Sports massage on Thursday sorted the legs out though and managed to finish strong today after probably a slightly quick start. 1 slow mile in the middle but managed to pick it up for the last 2 miles.

Focus was going to shift to marathon training but just got asked to be best man at my mate's wedding the same day as Loch Ness Marathon.  Think I'll stick with the shorter distances this year.

10/06/2013 at 17:52
are well in Calum thats great to here. a pb is allways reasurring your doing things right. maybe the injury inforced rest was just what you needed before the race. i had a 10k about 3yrs ago where the 10k race was first run in 28 days, managed to pb by about 10 seconds. so it can work.

lucky that you didn`t enter Loch ness then Calum. that would of been an awkward excuse i reckon.

next race for me is the Stone St Micheals 10k. going to be tough to pb there though i reckon. will try anyway.

20.15m today in 2:16:34. thats this weeks longest run done anyway
10/06/2013 at 21:26

Cheers Andy!

I did have a place at Loch Ness - I'm just not going to tell my mate I'm giving it up for his wedding!!!

I think everything that's happened over the past month has been good for my running career.  I was starting to realise my marathon goal this year was going to put me under a lot of strain and I kind of wished I hadn't entered the marathon.  The 4 easy weeks before the 10k definitely rested the legs for the 10k.  Now I'm concentrating on shorter distances - marathon won't be in my plans for a co uple of years.

11/06/2013 at 08:16

Meant to say, Andy - good effort on the 20 miler!!

11/06/2013 at 13:35

Well Done on the PB Calum, got to love that feeling of beating your pb, keep it up.

Update of my training, up to around 30-40miles per week now, ran a 5k on a hilly course the other day in 19:39, not a pb but happy with the time considering the course. 

Andy any advice on how to build up my weekly long run, currently on 11miles, trying to get it up to 15miles over the next few months just struggling to get that extra energy ar the moment to go the extra mile? cheers

11/06/2013 at 14:10
Calum- theres nothing worse than having a marathon on the horizon then basically dreading it. I entered the Snowdonia marathon back in 2009 first marathon where I would be 18 on the day and within a reasonable distance. Wasn't nowhere near fit enough and struggled with all the long runs and everything about felt pressured (pledged to raise ??160 charity) this took enjoyment right out of training. Never again doing a race for charity. Youve done the right thing going to the wedding instead.

Cliff781- good effort with the 5k time on a tougher course. Getting near your pb means you need to get to a fast 5k becuase there is clearly a pb to be had.

Long runs
I reckon you need to be as consistent as possible with these. (1 per week)
???Add extra miles at an easy pace
???Get company for some of or all of the distance
???Make sure your rested enough day before the run
???Eat as good as you can. Not neccesarrily high ammounts of carbs but the right amount at the right time.
???Dont run them at a specific pace until you have the ability to do an easy paced long run first
11/06/2013 at 14:22
?marks are suppost to be bullet points stupid ("smart") phone

Hope some of that helps about long runs Cliff. I started them because of having a marathon in October. But still feel they benefit all distances down to as low as 5k. So the weekly 20 is here to stay now. planning on keeping it at 20m for a while and just going quicker on the 20miler so bringing the time down for same effort level. So what started out as a 2:18 run will hopefully just get a minute or two quicker each week. So therefore getting nearer to marathon pace.
11/06/2013 at 15:24

another pretty sharp long run there Andy. is that time sharp due to some MP or threshold in the middle bolstering the pace or is it ran at consistent pace?

Edited: 11/06/2013 at 15:25
11/06/2013 at 16:14

Thanks for the advice Andy, will try a few of your suggestions and hopefully i will be able to extend my long run over the next few weeks/months.

Got a quick course 5k coming up in mid July so hopefully my aim is to go sub 19min, ive done that once on a track but i dont count that, want to get under it on the road.

11/06/2013 at 18:17

Cliff, just to echo what Andy's said - it really shouldn't be that difficult to add to the long miler.  Just make sure you're going slow enough to handle the extra mile.  My training from the start of the year went something like (this is just the weekend run):

6 miles, 7, 8, 9, 10, 8, 10, 8, 11, 8, 12, 8, 13, 10, 14, 10, 15, then tapered down again until the HM.  I'd be confident I could go out and run 15 miles at 8 minute miles now and it wouldn't phase me.  I think I might build back up over the next few weeks to a 15 miler every weekend like Andy's doing with his 20 miler and just get gradually quicker over that distance.

I'm at a bit of a weird place now - not sure what to do with training.  I'm still going to run in a 17.5 mile local race that I entered last year.  It took me about 2:40 last year off of almost no training.  I'm hopeful I can go sub 2 hours (which would have got me second place last year!) this year (it's in August), but I'll be happy with anything close to 2 hours this year.

There are a couple of local 10k races over the next couple of months that I'll probably enter and then a local half marathon in Fraserburgh.  My next "A" race isn't really until March next year - I'm targetting sub 40 at the Garioch 10k next March.

So, that ramble was basically to say I'm not sure how to structure my upcoming training without the focus of the marathon in September.  My legs need a rest for a couple of weeks but I might try and throw in a couple of Parkruns over the summer - I don't have a 5k PB, I'd like to go sub 20 first time out. 

12/06/2013 at 09:37

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/443816/gallery/2013-06-12_09.31.58.jpg?width=350

12/06/2013 at 09:40
Johnas- just ran by effort all the way although I do try to run at a brisk pace that i feel if I get out the comfort zone I'll be able to keep going to the end of the run. Also long runs are hilly as well so pace is varying.
12/06/2013 at 10:28
I know this is a 10k thread but I feel the training I'm doing for this marathon could benefit 10k training/racing as its not all that different really. I want the long runs to be quick if I can because 10k pace (currently 5:23) and long runs now at 6:47 stay within 90 seconds of each other and still benefit. Said it before that I dont see point in plodding round a long run at 8min pace ie recovery intensity.

I like to take an easy day before a long run aswell so that I can feel strong and therefore enjoy it. Enjoying it makes it easier to keep going in the later stages in my opinion.
12/06/2013 at 10:28

interesting. i'm like you and run by effort and have noticed my long runs coming in around the same pace as you of late but I'm wondering whether that's actually a good idea.

I'm wondering whether forcing myself to slow the pace to 7.15 - 7.30 might benefit the speedier sessions i do each week due to less effort and better recovery. Any thoughts on that seems you've got some good times at 10k?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.