Speed Endurance for 10k?

261 to 280 of 557 messages
05/08/2013 at 13:50
Unfortunately I'm injured. So no proper running for about 5 weeks so far.
05/08/2013 at 16:13

Good work Callum, Good luck with the recovery Lou.

Training for me has been very good over the past month, probebally the best training month ive had for a few years, feeling very good and raring to go racing now

Got a 5k race in 2 weeks were im hoping to beat my road 5k pb of 19:07, im hoping to get under 19, if not a PB will do (I ran a 19:30 in training few weeks ago on a hilly course so should beat this time). Then another 5k in september to help me sharpen up for my sub 40min 10k attempt mid september, been trying for this now since 2007, ok not been training that hard in the past but think with the last 5 months training im pretty confident that ill go under it (if the weather allows of course)

I will let you know how my 5k race goes in 2 weeks, keep up the good work everybody

06/08/2013 at 16:33

Great to see that this thread (probably the finest on the site) is still very active.

I've got two road 10Ks in the next two weeks. Neither are great PB opportunities due to hills, but I'm still shooting for my first sub 36 min 10K result. I did 36:10 on the flat in March, but seem to have improved since then.

I did a 4 mile time trial on the flat a week or so ago in 22:38, so fingers crossed this should hold me in good stead.....

18/08/2013 at 18:21

Did the 5k run today in 19:25, went off too fast again, first mile in 5:30, but its a good learning curve, overall happy with that.

The first mile was fairly comfortable at that pace, but then when i got to around 1.5miles the lactate levels in my legs were just too much, what do i need to do to get that pace going for longer, as the first mile was very comfartable???

Already doing 20min runs at lactate threshold, and a few mile reps with short recoverys. But one thing i can say 1 year ago if i ran a mile in 5:30 i would have to walk the rest so its working slowly

19/08/2013 at 00:02

That's a great first mile Cliff, though in a 5k its way to fast. Your last 1.5 miles must have been 7.xx mm? Classic lack of good pacing meltdown though. I bet if you went off 6 mm  you would not have crashed quite so bad. My first parkrun my 1st mile was about 5.55 and my 3rd about 6.35 and  came in at 19.34. My second one a few weeks ago my first mile was 6.10 and my third about 6.25 and came in at 19.23.. The pace you went off at was about 17min 5k pace so way above your current level.

I think had you gone off at 6mm you probably would have posted close to sub 19 with an even pace.

19/08/2013 at 08:37

Returning after a year off.

i had to take a year off all phys up to May this year.  In order to set a target I elected to enter the Swindon Half marathon in mid October and follow the Garmin Connect (Full potential) HRM trianing planitem halfway through it and although I am clearly fitter my speed is awful. 

i did a 1.5mile best effort test the other day that at full fitness I used to get 8.30 but I got 9.53. What was really odd is that when I first came back to fitness I did a nine miler in which I did the first 1.5 mile in 10mins. 

I have realised I haven't been stretching off. Can this be the cause of the lack of pace improvement?

26/08/2013 at 13:27

Hi all, did my 1st competitive 10k yesterday, the Mel Batty race in Thurrock. Aimed for sub 40 and came in at 39.43 so very pleased, however my mile splits always seem to rise in the middle of a race, but I still usually finish strong! Eg 5th mile yesterday was 6.36, 6th mile 6.15. Is this psycological or can I improve my mid race stamina with tempo runs?

26/08/2013 at 16:00

Firstly, we'll done on hitting sub40 at the first attempt!

As for pace dropping a bit in the middle it's probably a fairly common theme.  How fast was your first mile?  Heading out too fast is very common and a slower middle section being the result.  If you can come back with a 6:15 in mile 6 that's pretty good going.  Just out of interest do you track your pace as you run?  I.e. Were you aware that your pace had dropped off in mile 5 or did you just see that after you looked back at the stats?  I ask because I have noticed my pace drifting in the middle of races until I've looked at my watch and realised I'd slowed down!

Anwyay - hitting sub40 first time out will surely mean that you can go much faster and with more race experience you'll work a lot of this out!!  I'm just a mere 42 minute man at present!!

Back in the 10k hunt again now though.  Targeting a November 10k to get closer to 40 minutes to give myself the best chance of going sub40 in March.

Just recovering from this beast at the weekend www.brgchallenge.co.uk at the moment!  I forgot how bad some of those hills are!!

27/08/2013 at 06:37

First mile was 6.17 I believe... Always try and hold back to start but not easy! I do track my pace but don't try to greatly alter it during a race

22/09/2013 at 18:43

Not good for me 42min 10k today, not sure what went wrong to be honest, need to be more consistant with my training i think e.g one week ill have a good 30-35 miles training the next im down very low 20s even 15s then back up 30s again, all to do with motivation, not good enough really, oh well bring on the next one.

03/02/2014 at 07:57

Not been on here for ages.

Back in the hunt for sub 40 minute 10k.

Training hasn't been ideal at the start of the year due to a week off with food poisoning and another week off with being flat out busy at work.

Got out for my 10 mile run on Sunday though - first one of the year.  Aiming for sub 40 minute 10k at the Garioch 10k in March.  If not there, then hopefully at the Fraserburgh 10k in June.

Cliff - have you nailed the sub 40 yet?

03/02/2014 at 12:28

Hi Calum, it did go quiet on here for a while.  I've not managed sub 40 yet - my last 10k attempt last summer came in at 40.10.  Currently training for a marathon in April, but after that I'm going to have another crack at a fast 10k.  Will probably have another read through this thread at that stage because there's some excellent advice on here.

03/02/2014 at 13:32

Might aswell join this thread as I'll be looking for a time as close as possible to 40mins in May.

Currently working on bringing my 5km time to sub 20 mins at the moment which has gone from 25mins at the start of the year to 21mins on the Saturday just gone.

Training is fairly well structured, just looking to add a few more miles to the plan each week.

Ran a 10km last year in 45.21 so a lot of improvement required between now and May!

06/02/2014 at 10:27

lou - so so close.  Great effort!

Steve, I'm yet to race 5k actually.  I think I could come in under 20 minutes if I did, but just haven't had the chance.  I ran 20:11 mid-last year on a time-trial by myself, but I was flying then.  I'm probably not quite in that shape at the moment.  It was a hilly 5k - with the second half in particular being uphill.  I reckon a flat 5k course that day, I could have gone a good bit quicker.

I took my 10k time from about 47 minutes down to 42:01 with about 6 months' training Steve - so I'm sure you can get it down a good few minutes by May.  My PB was from 2004 (46:51), but I hadn't ran a 10k race for years - time trial of about 47 minutes was all I had to go on.

Loads of great tips in this thread.  I've also bookmarked these guys:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/training/breaking-40min-10k/202273.html

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/training/1-mile-reps---how-fast/257579.html

Some great tips and advice across the three threads.  Well worth a read!

06/02/2014 at 10:40

Cheers Callum, I'll take a look through them links a little later (think I've already read through the breaking 40min 10km).

My 5km time isn't far off now and think will be reached by the end of this month leaving me to focus on the 10km. 

Training is going well at the moment, with 2 steady/easy runs midweek of 6 miles, 1 long run of 10miles (increasing to 12-13miles) at an easy pace and 2 quality sessions.

07/03/2014 at 11:08

So, yeah - still very quiet on this thread.  How's the training going for those in the hunt for sub 40, and those already well below that?

Since my previous post, I've been working pretty hard - 5 weeks of really solid training under my belt now and I'm in good shape and feeling confident.  Running 6 times a week (mostly easy, with 2 "hard" sessions per week).

Big session next week of 8 x 1km intervals at sub 40 pace, followed up by 5 x 200m.  If I nail that session, I'll be definitely heading to Garioch 10k and attempting to run sub 40.

07/03/2014 at 14:18

Best 10K thread on the site!

I've got a 10K race tomorrow and preparation has gone well.

I did a 4 mile time trial in 21:51 last week (its an old tradition of mine to attempt 4 miles at race pace a week before the race.....and so far it has been an accurate predictor) and am hoping for a sub 34:30 time, which would be a PB.

Only problem is high winds are forecast.....they can really tear a chunk out of a race time!

07/03/2014 at 15:15

Good luck Jamie!  Sub 34:30 sounds a long long way off for me, but hopefully I can get down to that in a few years' time...

07/03/2014 at 15:25

It doesn't feel that long ago that I was training for sub 40 mins. I was pounding out 6:24 mile reps in preparation. It was only 2011 !! Feels like five minutes ago......

Times can drop significantly with a good plan.....and very quickly too. I've managed to reduce my 10K times by as much as 2 mins a year when injury free.

Age, injury and a poor training plan are the only real enemies of quick performance improvements. 

07/03/2014 at 15:35

Yeah - I'm confident of pulling the times down from now on.  I ran 42:01 last year but on reflection (I thought the training was good, but) the training wasn't that great.  It was just training, which I hadn't done before so I was always going to hit a half decent time (having not gone sub 46 on previous attempts on next to no training).

I'm already showing signs of massive improvements off the back of just about 5 weeks of the new training regime.

I know a guy who has just ran 35:47 - his PB in 2011 was 42:01 after being new to running which is exactly the same as me last year.  Hopefully, I can take it down to sub 40 in a couple of weeks time and work it down gradually over the next few months to possibly even sub 39, and maybe even towards 38 by the end of this year.  Will see how it all goes though. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.