Speed Endurance for 10k?

61 to 80 of 556 messages
20/10/2012 at 13:47

I think you might be right there. Strangely I do my 1/4 miles at 75 secs too. 12 reps with a minute rest......not much fun!

20/10/2012 at 14:40
All righty then so your doing what me an Ste "dancers hip" Hayes did on Tuesday. But where you had 60secs rest we had a 75 because i'd not been on the track since mid sept (illness then a marathon)

Over the next few weeks I hope to reduce the recoveries down. When I say reduce I mean shave not hack at them. Last time I think maybe we went wrong when we tried to improve in some way everysingle week rather than be patient a bit. We even slogged out 16x400m one week with 75sec recoveries an left ourselves tired for days. So this time I'm sort of going to put a cap on session volume to keep in sensible *he says*

To be honest i've found intervals the most frustrating part of training because myself an Ste are both willing to work hard/hurt/pi time in and hours in so its not like were bein least or anything its the not really knowing that gets me.
20/10/2012 at 14:42
Stupid predictive text. Ment to say its not like were being "lazy" or anything.
20/10/2012 at 16:15

Ouch! 16 x 400m with 75 sec recoveries will certainly have left you shattered for a good few days. I've heard that the old rule of thumb is that for every race pace mile in training it takes a day to recover. As that session will have bashed out 4 miles at a fair bit faster than race pace with pretty low recoveries, it would have probably taken five days before you fancied another quality session!

I'll have to venture up from 12 to 16 reps at some point. Can't say I'm relishing it! 12 x 75 second 1/4 miles isn't much fun.....I'd imagine those extra 4 reps are murder!!

23/10/2012 at 08:06
sorry havent posted for a few days,
Jamie I wouldn't worry about doin the 16x400m I not sure if its beneficial if it leaves you unable to train properly for about 3-4days. I'm at the track again t'day and if anything I'll be reducing the recovery down slightly but I'm not going to let the sessions go silly again. Last week I had to say to see Ste hayes before we started the first rep "this is Definetly 12x400, NO MORE" and when it was really just me trying to be a bit disciplined with meself. This speedwork is a totally different mindset to what I used to do.

Even when we finished the last rep I still had to make THEE LAST REP. its harder than I thought to not just slog it out. Anyway, I may try an take a second of my 400m time each week so hopefully by January that 4:59 mile will be fairly straight forward I hope.
24/10/2012 at 00:44

Well Done on your time Jamie, Top Time!

My training has gone off track a bit in the last 3 weeks, havent done any long runs, which it is defanite effecting my fitness, need to start doing the long runs again. Got a race mid december (10k) so hopefully i have got enough time to get back on trak for the sub 40min, fingers crossed. Just need to start doing some hard training again lol

24/10/2012 at 09:33

Thanks Cliff, great to hear from you.

Yep, those long slow runs are so useful. Excellent aerobic training, brilliant for getting your endurance up and your resting heartrate down. I'm sure everyone on the thread is behind your sub 40 min campaign.......don't lose focus

24/10/2012 at 09:55
Cliff- hope the training goes well for you. Looking forwards to see your result. Doesn' sound to far off though, that sub 40
25/10/2012 at 03:19

Thanks Guys, fingers crossed, will try get a 10 miller done this weekend.

09/11/2012 at 21:59
I've read this thread through twice, inspiring stuff! I started really running last year to work about 5 miles away.and this developed into entering a half marathon this September for the first time. Beat my goal of 90 mins with a 1:27. I got my best 10K time during it, of 40:59. Running on 18th Nov in the heanor 10k pud run aiming for a sub 40 time. I am gonna do a longer run tomorrow, probably 12k or 13I then two runs into work during the week. I benefit from having a hilly route in to work
09/11/2012 at 22:02
This thread has made me think much more about the way I approach my running, so thank you! Hills, tempo runs and faster short reps with rest times will really help.net add variety in my running to beat my targets.
09/11/2012 at 22:35

Hi Timinho,

If you can do a 1:27 half I'd bet my left arm that you already have a sub 40min 10k in you.

All you'd need is a week or so of race pace sharpening. When I first cracked 40min in a 10K I did a 4 mile race pace time trial at 6:24 mile pace a week before. It worked a treat as I came in at 39:38 on the day.....that was last February. In contrast, a few weeks ago I came in at 36:53. I think there is some proof that the sessions I do really work (in the context of a sensible training program) .

I really rate this thread too, the information I have given is based on genuine sessions that I have done in preparation. I haven't left anything out, unlike many local runners who are very secretive about their training!!!

10/11/2012 at 09:32

Some good times there fair play timinho. Good luck with the sub 40 10k.

I have totally lost motivation for the past few weeks only done around 3 runs in 3 weeks, went out the other day and struggled with a 4 mile run. So no races planned for a while now just going to concentrate on building the millage up slowly over winter then will start doing interval and tempo work march-april time ready for some races next summer. The sub 40 will have to wait a little longer but not too long hopefully lol

Will keep you all updated, going to try a slow 6 mile run this afternoon see how i get on.

15/11/2012 at 21:23
Hi guys, thanks for the encouraging responses. Did a long hilly run on sat of just over 9 miles, but then been surrounded at home by my wife and two little ones all with a virus. 3 sleep deprived nights followed leaving me exhausted so I didn't get round to the race pace trial till tonight...after work carryin a rucksack of work! mile splits were 6:25, 6:18, 6:38, 6:48. Bit disappointed at slower last two, various reasons for it including traffic. Might go for a very leisurely jog on sat, but that's probably it now. Race is Sunday am. Bring it on! I'll let you know how I do, but really hoping I don't succumb to this virus...at least until after race day!

How did the six miler go cliff781?
15/11/2012 at 23:45

Grief Timinho, doing a race pace time trial around traffic and with a rucksack on your back commands respect. You'd have probably hit your target on a track without a rucksack!!!!

17/11/2012 at 17:33

Timinho the six miler went ok last week and this week done two 4 mile runs over hilly route and managed to get aother 6 miles done today, so starting to get back into it again now, will keep you posted.

p.s. Good luck in the race

Edited: 17/11/2012 at 17:34
18/11/2012 at 13:30
Hi all, we'll thanks to the time trial suggestion, I came in unofficially at 39:12!! Really chuffed and I can recommend the event. once you're out of the industrial estate after 2k it is a really scenic route with great views from the. top of the hill. Last 200 metres we're painful, felt dizzy and like I was going to be sick but avoided that thankfully. I'm amazed at how you step it up in a race situation...anyone got any recommendations for books about the psychology of running?
18/11/2012 at 20:46
Hi again, my mile split times were 6:34 6:39, 6:22, 5:58, 5:59, 6:10, last quarter of a mile in 1:42.
18/11/2012 at 22:27

Heavens! I've never seen a set of splits quite like it!!! Did the race start with three miles up hill?

A superb last three miles.......and I feel your pain in the last quarter, judging by your 1/4 mile split it really hurt!

I'd bet that on a flat course you'd be closer to 38 mins.....

18/11/2012 at 23:17
Hi, some good reading, especially the suggestion of running 4 miles at race pace. I'm 37 and hoping to run a sub 40 before I'm 40, managed a 5km in19m57 last week and a 10 mile training run today in 72m18(first 10km in 41m38secs).10km race on 2nd December, ulverston 10km. Any tips for improving quick and judging truly where I am for a race.splits for first 10km today were 6:58 6:37 6:35 6:52 6:37 6:43
61 to 80 of 556 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.