Speed Endurance for 10k?

141 to 160 of 557 messages
13/03/2013 at 22:56
LOU DIAMONDs gee thats some session 3-4miles at 10k pace. i can't say i have ever attempted a session like that. when you say about your long run, how long are we talking about exactly and what sort of pace are you putting in to it?
Tempo sessions are 3-4 miles at 10k + 10 seconds per mile and 'long' progressive runs at around 12 miles (5M easy; 5M MP; 2M HMP +C/D).

Glad you answered that Lou I did wonder how on earth that session is possible to be frank. I reckon the +10secs must make a massive diffrence. Because then 10k pace of 5:23 becomes 5:33. Ouch.
14/03/2013 at 21:07
andy the deestrider wrote (see)
LOU DIAMONDs gee thats some session 3-4miles at 10k pace. i can't say i have ever attempted a session like that. when you say about your long run, how long are we talking about exactly and what sort of pace are you putting in to it?
Tempo sessions are 3-4 miles at 10k + 10 seconds per mile and 'long' progressive runs at around 12 miles (5M easy; 5M MP; 2M HMP +C/D).

Glad you answered that Lou I did wonder how on earth that session is possible to be frank. I reckon the +10secs must make a massive diffrence. Because then 10k pace of 5:23 becomes 5:33. Ouch.

Or, as in my case, a 10k pace of 6:20 becomes 6.30 - easy.

Edited: 14/03/2013 at 21:07
14/03/2013 at 22:54

Nice long tempo run tonight: 6.5 miles at 38:54 (the same pace I hope to keep up for another 3.5 miles in a 10 mile road run two months from now. Fingers crossed.......

15/03/2013 at 09:20
Lou ye 6:30 pace but same principle.

Jamie Newton 2 bet you manage it come the 10miler because if you can do 6.5m of it in training then given a good rest it'll surely happen on race day. Just dont peak to soon.

Had another cracking session yesterday.
8 x 600m in 1:52. after the 4th rep they had a 6min rest. Since I didn't fancy getting cold I decided to stick 2 x 400m (73 secs) in the gap. Going to take an easy day today though.
15/03/2013 at 12:49

Nice one Andy, that was a rapid session for you yesterday! Only you would throw 2 fast 400m reps into a rest period.....you deserve to be rewarded for your efforts!!!

I'll try not to peak too early for the 10 miles; that said, with 2 months to go an extra 3.5 miles on the end of yesterday's session does sound a little scary to me. Ha ha

16/03/2013 at 10:11
Had to have an easy run yesterday. So went out and done a flat 6 mile run without looking at the watch untill the turn around point at half way. This way I could put all the emphasis on doing a relaxed pace which ment 22:07 to the 3 built point and 44:14 on getting home again. Hows that for pace judgement. Can't believe how much diffrence the hard intervals have made to my relaxed pace.

Used to be 8:00min/miling for moderate effort now I can do 7:40 pace on recovery runs an still feel easy....progress.

Jamie - have faith in your training, your 3.5miles will be there in the tank. Once rested up for the race you'll do it.
16/03/2013 at 21:23
Another toughy tday.
15.33miles in 1:38:50 (6:23pace) with 5m in middle at 5:36pace (HM pace). Well happy with how training is progressing now

Hoping that long efforts like today help to improve overall strength of will power.
17/03/2013 at 18:07
Nice steady run again today. 48mins in all.

Feeling well motivated at the moment. Trainings goin well an me training partners getting going again post injury.

Been reading blog about old school training. Interestin little read.
17/03/2013 at 18:08
http://acceptableintheighties.wordpress.com/ clearly I cant do links properly. Hmmph.
17/03/2013 at 20:54

hello again everyone, glad to see my post is still going

I need some motivation help now havent done much over winter and really strugling to get the motivation to train these days, 6 years ago when i was 18 years old i was running 30-40 miles (4 runs in the week and one long run every sunday of around 14 miles) but these days im strugling to do 2 runs a week of wround 5 miles each, dont know were i lost my motivation, anybody got any tips to get it back?

thanks in advance. 

17/03/2013 at 22:47
Cliff781 do whatever style of running you enjoy the most trail running, road running, fell running or whatever. If your enjoying your training thats half the battle out way straight away. Another thing. Did you get a bit ocd about recording numbers about your training rather than running by feel?
18/03/2013 at 11:52

Yea i suppose i am very ocd when it comes to writing down the millages and times for each of my runs, maybe i should forget about that for a bit and just and try to enjoy my running like you say, think maybe ill try a few new routes too as doing the same routes for the past few years hasnt helped i dont think.

18/03/2013 at 13:26

My training took a bit of a bash last week as we were away on holiday for a week.  Only managed to get out twice during the week - both for 2.5m "hill" sessions as we were in the middle of some rather large hills (verging on mountains I would guess!).

First session I did 2.5 miles with overall elevation gain of 574 feet, but second session (the following day) was 2.5 miles with overall elevation gain of 2,587 feet!!  Good strength workouts I guess!  Got home on Saturday so went out on Sunday and tried to combine a little bit of tempo work with some endurance work.  1 mile progressive warm-up, building up to target 10k pace, then attempted 4 miles at target 10k pace as per above advice.  I'm glad I did, because by mile 3 I was struggling.  It was uphill, but I was hoping I could have kept the pace up.  First couple of miles at average of about 6:40 pace, but miles 3 and 4 were up to 7:42 and 7:10 (both uphill, but mile 3 felt like a "recovery" mile).  Obviously, went out too quickly though.  Good lesson learned for the race on Sunday!

I then ran a further 3 miles home much slower, getting (slightly) progressively quicker (8:24, 7:53, 7:42).

A decent session though.  I think I'll head out at about 6:50 pace in the 10k and see where I am after 3 miles.  At this stage, I'd be happy with about 42 minutes for the 10k.

Final speed session tomorrow morning: 6 x 400m at 6:24 pace with 1 min recoveries.  Then an easy 3 miles on Thursday and then race day on Sunday.

5.5 miles on the bike this morning and probably go round the 8 mile route on the bike on Friday.

Looking forward to Sunday, I've never really prepared for a race before to be honest. Having this much training behind me gives me a lot of confidence.

18/03/2013 at 22:45
cliff781 not wearing a watch might be a good thing for a while just to remind you why you took up running in first place. or maybe just wear a watch for the stopwatch to get a rough idea of how long you been out. Try not to be to precise though. so when you finish a run an your watch is saying 1:06:42 for example you might say "good hour of running" the point is you just want to use a the watch for a rough idea how long youve been out.

Calum keep us posted how you get on with the race this sunday.
Dont worry about having a low mileage week. Its a good thing to step back once in a while. Stops you falling in the overtraining trap.

Speed session for me tonight 4 x 1.5m in 8mins with 3min recoveries between.
did this on local cycle path so more similar to racing conditions than local athletics track. Pace was 5:20min/mile (3secs faster than 10k pace) toyed with idea of doing 2mile reps but think i'd of lost the quality aspect to the session. Hoping to average 5:30 or quicker this sunday in the thirsk 10mile so a longer rep session was relevant I think.
19/03/2013 at 09:22
andy the deestrider wrote (see)
cliff781 not wearing a watch might be a good thing for a while just to remind you why you took up running in first place. or maybe just wear a watch for the stopwatch to get a rough idea of how long you been out. Try not to be to precise though. so when you finish a run an your watch is saying 1:06:42 for example you might say "good hour of running" the point is you just want to use a the watch for a rough idea how long youve been out.

Calum keep us posted how you get on with the race this sunday.
Dont worry about having a low mileage week. Its a good thing to step back once in a while. Stops you falling in the overtraining trap.

Speed session for me tonight 4 x 1.5m in 8mins with 3min recoveries between.
did this on local cycle path so more similar to racing conditions than local athletics track. Pace was 5:20min/mile (3secs faster than 10k pace) toyed with idea of doing 2mile reps but think i'd of lost the quality aspect to the session. Hoping to average 5:30 or quicker this sunday in the thirsk 10mile so a longer rep session was relevant I think.

Some of your sessions are terrific Andy. I'm doing a 1.55 mile race on Friday and will be happy with any of your rep results as my race result!!! Ha ha

19/03/2013 at 10:19

6 x 400m this morning aiming for 6:24 pace (1 min recoveries).  Managed it for 5 out of the 6, but the one steep hill was on rep 5 and I was nowhere near the pace - think it was about 7:50!  And once I got to the top of the hill my legs were struggling a wee bit (the "jelly" feeling) - I haven't felt that this year!  Good session though and managed the 6:24 pace for the last rep so happy with that.

Another good lesson for Sunday though - a sub 40 minute 10k is definitely not doable for me yet!!  I tried to do a broken up 1.5 miles at that pace this morning and didn't quite manage!!

Looking forward to the race on Sunday - just hope the snow melts by then!

19/03/2013 at 11:59

Here's another thought for you people that run much faster than me...

How much difference could it make if I changed my running shoes?  I'm not going to change them before the race on Sunday obviously, but have been contemplating looking for a more minimalist shoe.  I've had the same pair of running shoes for probably 4 or 5 years and they're pretty bulky.  I got gait analysis etc. at the time from the running shop and these were one of the two recommended by the sales assistant.  I don't know what they are some sort of NB pair - with fairly bulky cushioning.

I definitely used to be a heel striker, so my knees and ankles were thankful of that cushioning in the past, but I wonder if they could be holding me back slightly than if I was to wear something much lighter?  (I don't heel strike anymore - more midfoot strike now)

I think I'm going to try something more minimalist at some point in the near future anyway, but just wondering what others think about it?

Edited: 19/03/2013 at 12:00
19/03/2013 at 12:40

Please don't touch your shoes before the race, its too close. Bad idea....

I personally use three types of trainers in my training. Brooks Glycerine 9s for long runs (too heavy to race, but well cushioned), I use some light NBs (I'll check the number) for faster training and longer road races (10K +) and also some bright green Adidas Adizero pros for short road races and track (feather light, but really take some getting used to).

Without training and adapting to a more minimalist shoe you may find that you pick up some nasty calf and knee aches. Minimalist/racing shoes need to be gradually phased in. 

19/03/2013 at 13:44

Jamie - cheers.  I wasn't even thinking about changing before the race.  I'm comfortable with the ones I have and haven't had any problems with sore knees/ankles etc. since I stopped the heel striking.

It was more for future reference really.  I hadn't really thought about mixing up which shoes to use for different runs though - that sounds like a good idea!  I was thinking about trying out some minimalist (or something more minimalist than what I'm currently using) on shorter runs initially and trying to phase them in and see how I get on.  But definitely not before the 10k.  I may start to introduce them on some short easy runs after the 10k.

19/03/2013 at 15:42
Calum Crighton wrote (see)

Jamie - cheers.  I wasn't even thinking about changing before the race.  I'm comfortable with the ones I have and haven't had any problems with sore knees/ankles etc. since I stopped the heel striking.

It was more for future reference really.  I hadn't really thought about mixing up which shoes to use for different runs though - that sounds like a good idea!  I was thinking about trying out some minimalist (or something more minimalist than what I'm currently using) on shorter runs initially and trying to phase them in and see how I get on.  But definitely not before the 10k.  I may start to introduce them on some short easy runs after the 10k.

Yeah, mixing up shoes for different days sessions is a great idea, helps keep repetitive strain conditions at bay. It makes sense really, different heights in heel thickness between shoes mean that for each shoe you'll be landing on the ground a touch different or at a slightly different angle.

And well done for abolishing heel striking. I've been on that case for well over a year and am still failing. Making a conscious effort to land mid foot and increasing my cadence (even on long slow runs) to near 180 steps per minute still hasn't cured me on anything less than 200m reps!  Ha ha 

141 to 160 of 557 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.