Speed sessions

4 messages
24/10/2008 at 12:21
I've not been training hard for a while (2 years) but have done a few 6-9 milers over the past 5 weekends and a few, slightly faster, 3-5 milers during the week. Had a bit of inspiration and very fortunately managed to grab a last minute place running under someone else's number for the Cardiff 1/2 on Sunday. Beligerantly pushed out 13 consecutive 8min/miles for a 1:44. Now I have a 7 mile road race 2 weeks this Sunday and need some speed work as I'm quite comfortable with the surprising amount of endurance I've got. Is sub 52 a possibilty? Is it too late for speed work to have an impact? Any good sessions any wise sages can recommend? Many thanks one and all
24/10/2008 at 22:55
Do some fast miles to get used to working harder for shorter periods and maybe some loops with a (not too steep) downhill section in it  to help develop leg speed.   I wouldn't bother with anything more structured than that in the timescale.
25/10/2008 at 11:51
In two weeks, you're not likely to be able to make drastic changes.

Try some 60m sprints with jog recoveries and maybe a 6x800m the week of the race.
27/10/2008 at 11:19
Cheers guys, appreciate the advice. Will have a bash at some quicker miles this week and have a go at those intervals next week. Out of interest, how long does it take for adaptation from speed sessions, say one or two a week for 4+ weeks, to take hold before paying dividends?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.