Speeding up after a marathon for a half marathon

4 messages
15/01/2013 at 12:23

Hi all

I have previously done half marathons and got my pace for that to 8 min miles. I was pleased with this getting just below the 1:45 mark.Last year I switched to focus on marathons for the first time and it became a little addictive so I did three (Copenhagen, Berlin and Dublin).  My  marathon pace was 9 min miles, I found this a good challenge and enjoyed the marthons that I ran.

I have decided to take the first half of the year easier and to focus on halves again, however when I am training I am really struggling to move much quicker than the 8:50 min mile marathon pace. I am getting quite frustrated at not being able to pick up my pace. Is this normal?

I have just under 8 weeks until my half marathon and would like to get under 1:45 again - any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks! 

15/01/2013 at 13:04

Do you train at a constant pace?

Have you tried doing intervals or fartlek sessions?  

If you are running at a constant pace, its worth removing the focus from the full 13 miles into smaller chunks.  A fartlek sessions is the easiest where you just pick up the pace for random distance & duration on an ad-hoc basis (e.g. I'll sprint to the third lamp-post and then return to an easy pace).

You shouldn't have lost the ability to run at 8min/mile through your marathon training, so it appears to be more of a psychological barrier.  By taking the focus away from the HM ditance and pace, you can hopefully overcome it. 

15/01/2013 at 20:47
It is a cliche but if you only do long slow runs you become a long slow runner. If you vary your pace in training, you wil improve over all distances. In 2009, 2010, 2011 I recorded half marathon PB's in May after an April marathon and 5k pb's in June.

My training was all for that April marathon, but the benefit of a combination of tempo run, intervals speed work and a long run made a massive overall difference.
28/01/2013 at 13:18

Sorry for the delayed response - a bout of flu has slowed me down further!

Thanks for the advice - I have tried a bit of fartlek and varying my pace and it seems to work. I managed a whole 5 miles at 8:30 ish which is giving me a little more confidence that I can pick up my pace. I am going to try and build in some varying of pace in to some of my longer runs - not by much but just to pick things up again.

Thanks again I appreciate it

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.