Speedwork

2 messages
03/05/2006 at 13:14
For some reason, speedwork scares me. I do a variety of weekly speedwork sessions (5x800m, 5x1K, 3x1M, etc) but somehow I get really anxious about it, and I feel it could be impairing my performance - ie, I don't give it as much as I feel I could. Long runs at an easy pace are no problem, it's just when I have faster runs to do (and it's not like I set myself targets that are too quick). Does anyone have any tips for making speedwork less daunting? THanks, PJ.
MB.
03/05/2006 at 14:00
PJ, I can see where you're coming from. They can be quite daunting, especially longer reps like 1k.
When I started my speed work this year, I wanted to do 4x1k, but allowed myself a few weeks build up. I started with 10x400 (which sounds alot) but did them at the 1k pace I wanted to build upto. I also alternated the rest period, 45s and 60s, so psychologically I was doing them in pairs and the pace wasn't very fast.

Then the next week I bumped upto 600m and did 6 of them plus an extra 400. Again in my mind this didn't seem so bad as I wasn't having to do 10 like the previous week.

After a couple of weeks I moved up to 5x800, still at same speed, and then finally got to 4x1000.

As I run them, I concentrate on being relaxed as possible, and always try to think of them in small chunks.

They're not all that bad really!
:-)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.