Split runs....

13 messages
24/04/2004 at 10:29
Am thinking of starting a run to the local swimming baths followed by an hours swim and a run back, 5.5 miles in each direction. Curious as to whether my body will have recovered enough during the swim and will treat it as two seperate 5.5 mile runs or will it be like doing 11 miles? Working on the basis of running at a tempo pace. Thinking in terms of recovery for the next day and avoiding over training as I am not currently running 11 miles a day.
24/04/2004 at 11:32
Would I first need to build my daily runs to 11/10 miles or just to 6 say?
24/04/2004 at 19:47
Hi Dodge,

I do somthing similar occasionally. I always find that my run home after a swim is easier than the one going to the pool. I'm not sure why this is.

My run is 3.2 miles each way, so a little shorter than yours.
24/04/2004 at 20:06
Funny you should say that, the cycles home have been noticably easier. I think it is because you've thourghly warmed up the muscles.
24/04/2004 at 20:09
I tried this. The run to the pool, 3 miles, was fine the swim fine but the run home was very knackering. Strange realy as I used to run to and from cicuits at the same centre and felt fine running home and swimming was a lot easier than circuits.
24/04/2004 at 20:19
So that's 2 for easier and 1 against. Course I haven't tried running it yet, maybe I'll just give it a shot during next week and see how I feel.
24/04/2004 at 20:19
Dodge, I did something similar to this after a hamstring injury. I wanted to do a half mara but was worried about going beyond 6 miles and starting up the injury again. The physio suggested running twice a day up to a maximum of two 8 mile runs, although I was advised to have at least six hours gap between runs. I too found the second run much easier and faster, even with a six hour gap. My guess is that the first run stimulates the circulation and the effect is there even after six hours. I only did this for a few weeks then I uped the distance to 10 x 1 before running the half and I was fine.

I intended to try this again but haven't got around to it. I'd be interested to know how you get on.
24/04/2004 at 20:31
I shall try and return here then and inform of the results.
28/05/2004 at 15:38
Remembered about this thread when running back today. Didn't try the run/swim/run till about 3-4 weeks ago. Started with once then twice and now three times a week. Will be doing it for 4 next week.

All I can say is that it's really good. I was just going to do it for two runs a week but am replacing my hour runs with it completely for the moment as I'm enjoying the run/swim/runs so much. I think the swimming is very good for a full range of movement exercise and I haven't noticed any negative aspects to having clocked up the extra miles every day.

I run in and then have an hours swim, just easy consistent rate, (plus getting changed etc) so probably 80-85 minutes between runs. I'd say it is a really good way to build mileage but you do have o take care not to go off too fast. It's very easy to think in terms of only running 5.5miles, feel good, so push it a bit more than you planned Did that this week and my long run on Wednesday felt a tad harder than it should. Reined it back yesterday and today on the RSRs and all is right in my legs.

Definitely recommend giving it a go if it takes your fancy.
28/05/2004 at 15:40
Oh, I started the RSRs on the Friday of the week before I upped my normal daily runs to 1 hour.
28/05/2004 at 15:54
This sounds interesting Dodge.. I might think about doing this as an alternative to some of my long weekend runs (as well as perhaps a cycle/swim/cycle - anyone tried this?)

How do you carry your swimming kit though - do you have a good rucksac, or are you able to stash your things at the pool?
Also, do you sometimes find it a hassle getting showered and changed etc twice?

28/05/2004 at 16:03
Yep am currently using a backpack but hope to downsize to some sort of hip pack. Just tried out a travel towel today which did the trick and saves masses of space, so I just need to locate a suitable hip pack. Not a lot of weight involved.

If I didn't run to the pool and cycled instead, which is what I had been doing, then I have to go for a run later anyway. So the shower/changing thing is actually less hassle this way as you roll it all into one period.

I don't know if it would be good as a replacement for long runs but I think it might be a good way to maintain your mileage whilst giving you a rest.
28/05/2004 at 16:05
Also, I'm not running them at tempo pace, rather just a bit quicker than my long run pace.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
13 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.