Sports Drinks

21 to 37 of 37 messages
02/01/2003 at 17:03
Thanks cougie that's really helpful advice! Never dared ask anyone the bodily functions question before, so at least I know now. See you there indeed. I'll be the red-faced one at the back, still puffing away after 6hours...
MB
cougie    pirate
02/01/2003 at 17:10
Tee hee - that was about the first question I had to post to the forum 12 months ago !

Yeah - I'll hopefully be the red faced guy in 3.15 if I can get my runs in !

You'll love the day - the whole thing is magical, and the pain fades after a week or three. ;-)
03/01/2003 at 20:40
Don't do what I did - ref Immodium. Never try anything new on the day they said - well I've had Immodium (capsules) loads of times - no problems - but never before FLM did I try the chewable tablets. They are disgusting. I instantly threw up and lost all my breakfast and fluids that I'd been carefully taking since 5.30am.....
cougie    pirate
04/01/2003 at 01:04
Eeek SS - that aint good. I use the tablets and found them OK - tried capsules once for a race and soooo nearly pulled out three quarters through 'cos I needed the loo so badly. Got a PB mind you though !!!

So moral of the story is practice with whatever you take MB !
04/01/2003 at 16:05
Been reading this thread with interest. Respect and thanks to all who took the time to provide such detailed info.

As for Immodium - beware. It blocked me up better than a cork, for days afterwards. I won't even begin to describe the pain when the logjam finally shifted towards the middle of the week. Best to clear yourself out (if you can) before starting. A Vindaloo and six pints the night before should do it!
07/01/2003 at 13:15
This thread is now making me nervous - is it better not to risk taking anything at all and plan loo stops (given that I'm not interested in speed or PBs)??

I've taken Immodium capsules before - in the recommended situation, not to stop me up - but I really do not want to risk any problems in that quarter at all...
cougie    pirate
07/01/2003 at 13:17
MB - you should get a feel for this from your long runs. (no pun intended).

If your tum is OK - then I wouldn't take the tablets, but I'd recommend carrying them with you just in case you do hit problems.
07/01/2003 at 13:38
Thanks for that, cougie. My Mum is a doctor so I could speak to her, but I've been a bit scared in case she tells me I should never take medicines unless I really need them. (Which is what she always said when I was a kid...) So I prefer your suggestion and will think about planning my bowel movements (!) over the next couple of months. God this marathon-running thing is a bit vile, isn't it?
07/01/2003 at 13:47
Orange juice not so good, but orange squash or Ribena (with a little bit of salt if you want to be a real pro) are perfect.

Water's not so bad either.

All the rest is just marketing.
07/01/2003 at 13:49
MB -

My advice would be to simply carry some tissue paper with you just in case. I think bowel movements are too fundamental a function to mess around with. If you gotta go, then you gotta go. No point being precious about it - I saw it happen with zero privacy (!) when I did the FLM and the poor bloke in question got nothing but sympathy from fellow participants. We understood. We knew that but for the grace of God ...
cougie    pirate
07/01/2003 at 13:59
Muttley - you would say that - you are a dog ! Remember that plastic bag ! ;-)

I'm taking the tablets with me anyway, but I'm sure it'll be OK with you MB.
07/01/2003 at 14:37
I think I might have to take tablets with me anyway too, cougie, the idea of having just to go with zero privacy is just too much to bear. I am a girl after all, and really nothing, even FLM fame and glory, is worth having to succomb to a bodily function of that nature in front of anyone and without the comfort of a decent functioning loo. Eugh - am getting quite upset at the prospect!
cougie    pirate
07/01/2003 at 14:42
Tee hee - don't worry - I didn't see anything like that last year. I'm after a PB this year, so I'm not gonna be able to queue for Portaloos - I'll prob risk the medicine !
07/01/2003 at 14:44
MB -

don't panic! I'm sure you'll be okay on the day.

This topic crops up regularly and there are lots of horror stories (and plenty of funny ones). But I think the fear of it is worse than the event itself. Chill!
07/01/2003 at 14:52
Cougie -

what with you being of the feline persuasion, can't you just stop somewhere and bury it?
07/01/2003 at 14:52
OK, OK, thank you - I'll not worry. Plenty else to be stressed about in advance of 13 April, I know...
cougie    pirate
07/01/2003 at 15:20
Good point Muttley - watch out if your garden is en-route ! (Queenie ??)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 37 of 37 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.