Sprinting/Athletics

6 messages
25/10/2012 at 18:08
100m is the event that I'm best at, but I was wanting to know if anyone knows any training tips on how to improve on it. I don't think there are any other threads on sprinting or athletics so I thought I should make one.
26/10/2012 at 15:30

Squats, deadlifts, and box jumps, or many other forms of plyometric training / circuits.  You want the types with explosive movements.  Just make sure you're really well warmed up before attempting any of those exercises and most importantly get advise from a professional on how to do them properly to avoid injury.

26/10/2012 at 15:43

Craigerrs, what do you already do?

26/10/2012 at 15:59

Ratzer: I do lots of sets which is mainly jog, sprint, jog, sprint etc. But I think I need to do more as my competition is getting bigger and harder. 

Paul J-R: I will try the squats and deadlifts. How many do you think I should do in one set?

26/10/2012 at 17:06

Find a really steep hill. Warm up well. Sprint for no more than 5 seconds almost full out. Recover for 15 minutes. twice more, no more. Don't want to develope endurance, slows you down.

30/10/2012 at 18:36

Craigerrs - do you use a gym?  You'll need help from a qualified gym instructor to show you the proper form, to make sure you avoid injury.  I tend to do 4 sets of 12 reps, but you can do 15, upping the weight a bit on the final 2 sets.  The final set I might only do about 8 reps if I increase the weight more.  The last few reps of the final set should be really hard.

Although for 100m training, it might be better to do only 3 sets of 8 reps, so you train for strength rather than endurance.

Do a Google search Usian Bolt 100m training...I found the squidoo link below that has his training plan:

I did initially paste the info but I thought 'copyright!!' so best look yourself or use the link below:

Source: http://www.squidoo.com/usain-bolt-workout

Edited: 30/10/2012 at 18:52

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.