Starting to run 100km/week - How fast can I go 10k?

21 to 29 of 29 messages
16/02/2013 at 09:32
msian wrote (see)

I mean who wants to know me jogging the same mileage and probably the same speed for the next 10weeks? 

I'd put money on this not happening.  Did you want advice or are you just going to push on with your crazy-mileage plan anyway?  If you attempt another few weeks of constant high mileage with little rest, your dodgy ankle will become a full-blown injury, maybe even a stress fracture although I wouldn't wish that on anyone, or you'll compromise your running style to accommodate it, running on tired creaky legs, and develop an injury somewhere else, or start suffering overtraining symptoms
(not eating properly, mind saying no??)

At the very least, take a week out to allow your body to take on board any fitness gains you are getting from the increased mileage, and let the muscles and tendons recover before they break down further.  Even if it's a cut-back week, take a few REST DAYS with just short easy jogs in between, before building back up again.  And, with respect, for someone at your level 160km is still a mad target in my opinion.

16/02/2013 at 10:29

David, that's the way these threads tend to go, lots of apparent training, but never an actual race.

Disappointing, as it'd be good for one of these threads to actually be what they appear occasionally. If just to show people that nothing to such high figures so quickly isn't the best way.

16/02/2013 at 12:29
Stevie G . wrote (see)

I guess you don't want the thread to go down this route...

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/training/100mpw/167608.html

well just finished reading and what a waste of time that was!!

bloke lives up to his name alright!!

19/12/2014 at 00:15

Hi guys, I've been quiet for a few years! I just wanted to say thanks to all of your comments on this post. I know it's a bit controversial with the amount of running I've been doing back then. In the end I did managed to average 115km per week for 12 weeks at a very slow pace until..FATIGUE struck! yes, you've mentioned before that I should be careful, but I was a very motivated new runner back then (typical rookie mistake). That fatigue lasted months!! Yes MONTHS! My mileage reduced from 130km pw down to 40 within weeks, before I ended up picking an ankle injury.

Though I did do my 1st 10k race in hilly Malta approx. 2 months after the fatigue/injury in a truly disappointing time of 46:30. I blamed that on overtraining and doing a lot of sightseeing the day before which actually affected my form. Anyway, after the disappointing run, I nearly gave up running altogether before I've decided to jump straight to marathon. I gave myself a year to train which I've failed to do so properly. It was normal for me to have weeks without running which further affect my motivation. In the end, I did run the Berlin Marathon having been undertrained and lack of mileage. The silliest thing was I ran the marathon with a slight calf injury that blew out of proportion before km20. I ended up walking and limping to the finish line in 4:28:00. And so that was another extremely disappointing race.

Looking back at my training habits for the past two years, I thought it was quite a remarkable achievement albeit a silly one, that l've been able to average over 100km per week after picking up running about 6 months earlier. To continue averaging 100km with a busy work/life schedule is extremely hard. Today, I'm averaging a measly but sensible 20-40km per week, whilst still maintaining my fitness and remarkably my 58kg weight as well, exactly as it was 2 years ago!

19/12/2014 at 11:26
What a load of tosh.
19/12/2014 at 14:19
msian wrote (see)

Looking back at my training habits for the past two years, I thought it was quite a remarkable achievement albeit a silly one, that l've been able to average over 100km per week after picking up running about 6 months earlier. To continue averaging 100km with a busy work/life schedule is extremely hard. Today, I'm averaging a measly but sensible 20-40km per week, whilst still maintaining my fitness and remarkably my 58kg weight as well, exactly as it was 2 years ago!

I don't. I think it was remarkably silly

Edited: 19/12/2014 at 17:04
19/12/2014 at 21:53

I don't actually think averaging 100k a week is that hard at all, after all that's 60miles or so.

But it obviously needs years of building up to.

Now, 100 MILES  a week, that'd probably be too much for all but a tiny handful of runners.

Fair play for the chap for coming back though. Many, many a runner has these barmy threads then just disappears.

19/12/2014 at 23:00

There appears to be a lot of extenuating circumstances to your race results. Is there a reason you appear to be so reticent to race, and when you do, believe that this it is not a true reflection of where you are at? ?All seems a bit weird.

Well done on completing the marathon though, I foolishly did one without training once and it was the hardest thing I have ever done.

19/12/2014 at 23:04
lots of Extenuating circumstances= Jackanory

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 29 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.