Starting to run 100km/week - How fast can I go 10k?

21 to 24 of 24 messages
16/02/2013 at 09:32
msian wrote (see)

I mean who wants to know me jogging the same mileage and probably the same speed for the next 10weeks? 

I'd put money on this not happening.  Did you want advice or are you just going to push on with your crazy-mileage plan anyway?  If you attempt another few weeks of constant high mileage with little rest, your dodgy ankle will become a full-blown injury, maybe even a stress fracture although I wouldn't wish that on anyone, or you'll compromise your running style to accommodate it, running on tired creaky legs, and develop an injury somewhere else, or start suffering overtraining symptoms
(not eating properly, mind saying no??)

At the very least, take a week out to allow your body to take on board any fitness gains you are getting from the increased mileage, and let the muscles and tendons recover before they break down further.  Even if it's a cut-back week, take a few REST DAYS with just short easy jogs in between, before building back up again.  And, with respect, for someone at your level 160km is still a mad target in my opinion.

16/02/2013 at 09:42

Im not going to add anything to what Phil et al have said, since they know more than me, but what I dont get is why if the 10k is so important you arent checking once in a while as to how the time is progressing, its been months since youve checked ....... this seems crazy. A bit like a prize fighter just wildly swinging hoping he collects with a few punches instead of pulling back once in a while to survey what he should do next.

Why dont you at the very least say once  a month go for a 10k run to time yourself. If nothing else, it will prove if you are making progress.

Part of me wonders if youre too scared to time in case the results are disappointing. In either case, youre mad to plow ahead with a plan with no measurable way to see if its working on not.

16/02/2013 at 10:29

David, that's the way these threads tend to go, lots of apparent training, but never an actual race.

Disappointing, as it'd be good for one of these threads to actually be what they appear occasionally. If just to show people that nothing to such high figures so quickly isn't the best way.

16/02/2013 at 12:29
Stevie G . wrote (see)

I guess you don't want the thread to go down this route...

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/training/100mpw/167608.html

well just finished reading and what a waste of time that was!!

bloke lives up to his name alright!!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 24 of 24 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.