Stupid question maybe - just wondering.....

41 to 43 of 43 messages
03/03/2012 at 11:10

As referenced in my original posts i acknowledge we all consider it a combination of the two, my 'counterpoints' were aimed at nuances...such as the discrediting of books like gladwell's which illuminate environmental influences, as merely 1 dimensional fads which interrupt an otherwise common sense approach that recognises both nature and nurture. These books dont dismiss the impact of genetics, they simply argue with clear examples how environmental factors impacted on a level of achievement. Of course its possible to believe in the strong influence of genetic factors and recognise environmental influences, again my original post was aimed to recognise those who choose to emphasise either side are invariably able to recognise the other has an impact.

Likewise, 'weak minded' as a term implicitly attempts to label those who emphasise nurture as naive and unrealistically idealistic. I agree we arent all born with equal talent, but frequently the benefits of precise environmental influences are mistaken as evidence of inate talent and how success is encouraged and reinforced is often built on this misconception. This debate always gets people involved in all fields because it has a big impact on how we see ourselves and others, and also how society is structured.

Popsider - i'm not religious and a debate about its virtues and flaws is a massive subject,  but proof of divine influence is a matter of faith which can easily by dismissed by atheists on rational terms as comfortable superstition. On the other hand, belief in your own capability to succeed is a tangible that can be recognised in the majority of successful sporting narratives.

03/03/2012 at 14:18
I'm dipping out of this thread now as it's all getting a bit heavy

I was only wondering......
30/03/2012 at 13:10
So Spoons when you going for that sub-3 marathon then? You've got the all-clear from M

Cheers, Ant

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 43 of 43 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.