Sub 1:50 Half Marathon.

41 to 60 of 121 messages
03/04/2013 at 16:04

Didn't manage to break the 1:50 barrier at Wilmslow (1:54), but took 5 minutes off last year's time so at least it was a step (or several steps) in the right direction.  The weather was awful, and we were running into a headwind for what seemed like most of the course (funny how it's never behind you, isn't it) so all in all I was happy.  Cold but happy.

03/04/2013 at 22:06
5minutes is the best part of 20secs a mile. That's a fair chunk.

I've dropped 5mins off my 10mile run now by sticking to 9:00-9:30/mile with a couple of sections of 8:00/mile for 2miles.

Still doing the 7:45-8:00 for 4miles on Mon and Fri.

8:20s are fairly comfortable now.

Next half is Sunday 5th May. Hilly trail. Of course
04/04/2013 at 14:20

I'm hoping it's my marathon training starting to kick in, although that's been predominantly long slow runs so won't account for an increase in speed.  I also PB'd by 3 minutes in a 10 miler the week before, so maybe I'm just hanging on that bit longer at my faster pace.  Having said that I can't PB over my local parkrun at all!  Maybe after the marathon I'll try to concentrate on some speed work and have a serious attempt at a sub 1:50 HM in the autumn - although the only one I've got lined up so far is a hilly one...drat!

04/04/2013 at 23:59
I found the long slow runs have really bought my base heart rate down. Previously a 9:00/mile would have me struggling at 170. Now I can't get over 160 without some serious sustained effort at 7:30/mile.

Sunday I ran 17miles at 9:30 and my heart rate averaged 150.

I've a feeling I'm just not pushing hard enough in a race.

Need to book some more up.
07/04/2013 at 20:44
Can I join in? I ran 1:54 today in the Waltham Forest HM which is quite hilly. I did 2 halfs this time last year: Brighton in 2:03 and the Waltham Forest one again in 1:58. I felt much stronger today and the last 2 miles were the fastest so I'm hopeful I can improve.
I'm 47 and run about 25 to 30 miles pw pretty consistently. My parkrun time is 24:37 and 10 km is 50:xx Have to say I don't think I have any natural flair whatsoever (!) as anyone else I know who runs the same kind of mileage has much better times but I really enjoy running so it's good to have a target to aim for.
08/04/2013 at 16:22

Racquel - we sound very similar even though I'd love to be 47 again...  Friends tell me I'm a strong runner but I look at everyone else and never feel as good in comparison.  Then I look at their ages and realise that for 50 I'm not doing too badly.  OK I'll never be an elite, even in an advanced age group, but if I can stay in the 60%'s in the age grading I'm happy to be "above average".  I still feel I've a good few years running in me, so why not try to improve?  I'm better now than I was five years ago, so who knows what dizzy heights I might reach by the time I'm 60!  Hopefully a sub 1:50 HM will feature in there somewhere!  Just get out there and enjoy yourself!

08/04/2013 at 18:05
Yeah exactly! The results are on the web page now and I was just under 1:54 and 12th woman so not bad I guess!?
07/05/2013 at 11:52

Interesting result on Sunday. Hilly trail. Comparing last years race with Sunday's.

Last year 1:59:24, yesterday 1:55:05.

Last year Avg HR 172, Sunday 165.

So I think maybe I wasn't pushing hard enough yesterday, maybe I've forgotten how hard I can push?

Still 4mins off last years time in much hotter conditions. So I'm reasonably happy.

Next two races are St Albans and The Surrey Badger. Neither of which I will run as 'Races' as I'm going to accompany some novices. Think I'll see if there's something else local soon. 

31/05/2013 at 08:34

This is a great thread, lots of good advice, I managed a 1.52 at my first half on Sunday and hope to get a 1.45 for a race in October, any suggestions for gps watches people are using? I haven't used one and seems like this could really help me go sub 1.50 at the very least.  Not wanting to break the bank, something functional and doesn't look like a brick!  Read a lot of reviews but just so many out there! Thanks.

31/05/2013 at 14:09

Hi. I use the FR60. It's not a GPS but works off a footpod. I just wanted something basic to track speed/distance and HR. It does that extremely well with no charging or USB connections, worry about tracking satellites etc. Battery lasts a year.

My next half is Sunday 9th... St. Albans.

XX1
31/05/2013 at 19:02

+1 for the Garmin FR60, which I also use, for the reasons TimR stated.  I also have a Soleus Fit 1.0, which is a very basic GPS watch...  I think you could pick one of those up for about £70 online.  What is your budget?

XX1
04/06/2013 at 09:49

Good luck on Sunday Tim! I'm sure you stand a really good chance of going sub 1-50, especially with doing over distance long runs, though I think it's quite a hilly one?

I've been doing my local park run every week which is 3 loops with a horrible hill at the start, and got my 5 k time to 23-53. I then did a flat 10 k last month and managed 48-50 which I was really pleased with. I'm keeping up a long run, medium long run and a few easy short runs each week trying to do 30 miles pw ( though not always succeeding).

I'm also thinking of an  Autumn half but don't know a flat one in the London area?  

04/06/2013 at 11:21

Good one. Raquel. It depends how far you're willing to travel. The Perkins Great East is in Peterborough - very flat and around September/October time. I'm looking for a Marathon and may have to go down to the New Forest

Sunday is predicted hot, usually I really suffer in the heat. Although last Sunday and Friday were a killer I went out last night to do 4 miles at 8:00/mile and ended up doing 7:50s which was probably a bit overkill but surprising as it was still hot so maybe I've acclimatised a bit.

Usually I'm not happy with a fast time on the flat, I feel a bit cheated, almost like it doesn't count. My first sub 2:00 was on a flat course and I didn't feel happy about saying I could run sub 2 until I'd put in a 1:54 on a hilly course.

My friend will be running with a few other novices so my planned amble round could well turn into a sub 1:50 effort - watch this space.

Edited: 04/06/2013 at 11:22
04/06/2013 at 21:42

Oh yes hadn't thought about the heat. I'm the same, it really affects me. All the same I think you're definitely in with a good chance!  

i think I'm gonna do the Stroud half in October as my sister lives there. I haven't really checked the course but it's a very hilly place so can't imagine it's fast. I have heard about the Great East but not sure about going that far.

05/06/2013 at 12:09

I am doing my first HM on Sunday and I'm aiming below the 1:40 mark but it's anybody's guess whether I will do it.

I train 3-4 times a week covering around 20+ miles I do speed reps, tempo runs and long slow runs. Problem is longest run has only been 15K so I'm yet to do the distance.

My 10K PB is 44mins and I know i can hold a decent pace for 15K but a little worried about the last 5-6K.

I'm planning on trying to maybe do two 48min 10K's or holding a pace of 4:45km/min.

Should I be ok or do people generally hit a "wall" in the last section of a HM?

Edited: 05/06/2013 at 12:10
XX1
05/06/2013 at 12:39

I really can't imagine anyone "hitting a wall" in a HM.

XX1
05/06/2013 at 12:42

Yes same here I cant imagine it too, I've been fine after 9 miles at below 5:00km/min pace. But people have said to me that the last part of a HM is hard and just wondered if my target pace was too ambitious for my first HM.

Anyway time will tell, everyone is different, I'll just run my usual way and hope for the best  

XX1
05/06/2013 at 12:52

EL -- I'd predict a sub-1:40 for you based on your 10K time; however, that would assume that you had trained for HM distance...  If you've got a good running base and decent mental strength then I think you'll be there or there abouts... Good luck! 

XX1
05/06/2013 at 13:20

Have a half marathon PB of 1:53 so trying to break 1:50 for my next one which will be Ealing at the end of september so training program starts at the end of the month. Going to use the RW garmin-ready sub1:50 program. Until that starts I am just trying to build up my weekly millage again post 6weeks of recovery/debauchary after VLM.

05/06/2013 at 15:13

Hi, and good luck to everyone trying to break 1:50!

This looks like the perfect forum for me, even though I live in the U.S.  I have run 5 HMs the fastest at 1:52, the slowest at 1:58.  I have also done two marathons, the 2013 Flying Pig on a very hilly course in Cincinnati at 4:37 (complete bonk) and 4:09 a few weeks ago on a flat course in Minnesota. 

I am running the Royal Parks Half in London in October and would love to break 1:50 (at least in part because several people have told me I won't break 4:00 in a marathon if I cant break 1:50 in a HM).  I know the Royal Parks will have a field of 16,000 which will probably make the course pretty crowded, thus making a PR difficult.  I was very excited to win a spot via the lottery and I am trying to decide if I should try for 1:50 or just relax and enjoy the scenery.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.  My recollection is that the course is flat.  Is that correct?  Has anyone here run the Royal Parks?

Thanks

41 to 60 of 121 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.