Sub 1:50 Half Marathon.

81 to 100 of 132 messages
10/06/2013 at 11:33

Well done EL - that's fantastic!  I reckon you did longer runs as well you'd be super speedy! 

How did you do yesterday Tim R?

10/06/2013 at 11:34

Sorry I meant to say if you did longer runs

10/06/2013 at 14:37

A very good result 1:50:58. Halfway was 52mins, lots of hills eventually took their toll. I think I can go faster. 

My next race is 24 Jun 10K where I'm looking for a sub 50min. Although it's a hilly trail run so we'll see... 

10/06/2013 at 15:10

Well done Tim, that's really brilliant - you are certain to be under 1-50 in your next one if it's less hilly. it shows that hard work pays off  

10/06/2013 at 15:22

TimR  Great half time! and good luck on your 10k.  It's amazing to me how people's goals at various distances are pretty much the same.   It seems that everyone I know who is trying to break 1:50 for the half is also trying to break 4 for a full and to break 50 mins for a 10k.  Myself included.  Im running a 10k on July 4, but my legs are still feeling groggy from my marathon.

10/06/2013 at 20:18

Cheers guys. I fancy something in the Autumn now, maybe Perkins Great Eastern again, but that was uninspiring. Very flat and I ran it as prep for last years marathon at 9:00/mile. As I say I've got a 10k in 2 weeks then I'm running the Surrey Badger end of July (for fun, not time!) Although a Marathon in November would suit, maybe the New Forest.

Edited: 10/06/2013 at 20:18
23/06/2013 at 19:42

Ha. I have entered the New Forest marathon. Not sure quite what I was thinking it's less than 3 months away. 

50:21 in today's undulating trail 10k. Some quite long steep upward undulations but the downhill was fun.

I'm sure I could meet my targets on flat road but that would be seriously dull. 

23/06/2013 at 20:42

Hi Raquel - you mentioned Stroud Half which I've done a few times now - despite the local hills the course is actually flat/undulating so you should be able to PB.

24/06/2013 at 07:39

Hi Anniesophie thanks for that, I'm definitely going to enter this year then. Are you going to do it again?

Your 10k sounded like fun Tim. As you say, if you didn't insist on only running ridiculously hilly courses, you would definitely beat your times! Wow marathon in 3 months sounds scary but it seems as though you already run quite long distances...

I did the North East London longest parkrun chain yesterday - 7 parkruns in a row with 45 mins between each. It was really good fun and a great atmosphere. 21 miles in one day is the most I've ever run though it's easier with a break between. One bloke ran between each one which added up to 44 miles apparently! My legs are stiff today  

24/06/2013 at 15:19

Yep have already registered for Stroud- hoping to match my PB at Bath Half this year  of 1:59, but am also doing new Cheltenham Half in September, so depends on how well the legs recover!

24/06/2013 at 15:22

Great - see you there! 

06/07/2013 at 13:11

If you want a shot at sub 1:50 try the Maidenhead HM on Sept 8th. I did it last year as my first HM at 1:55, and with more experience now I am aiming for 1:50 on this very flat course. May be a stretch though as I am 50 yrs and rarely does more than three training runs a week.

08/07/2013 at 15:49

or the Gosport half in november- billed as the fastest course in the uk. (not great on the sceanery thou)

11/07/2013 at 11:11

Surrey Badger on Sunday. Hot, hilly and so therefore slow. I will be running with a friend on her first half. Should be gentle jog round 2hrs+

12/07/2013 at 16:10

Wow you run a lot of half marathons! I think it's gonna be really hot but I hope you enjoy it. I've booked Brighton half in Feb and someone said he'll pace me round another one in September so I'm gonna try to go faster then.

17/07/2013 at 23:07

It was really hot. 1195ft of ascent according to my friend's Garmin. It was her first marathon and we did it in 2h25m. It was a wise idea not to go for sub 1h50m. 

One guy hospitalised. 500runners. I think we'll be back again next year. 

20/08/2013 at 10:56

I've just got into Conwy again in November, but I'm not building my hopes up for a sub 1:50 in that one - the climb is just too long and too relentless, although I seem to remember the downhill was fun, with aeroplane noises from a runner from Buxton and running like Phoebe from Friends from me! 

It's taken me a long time to get my mojo back after my marathon in April - I've kept on running but haven't wanted to race at all.  Having said that, I'm now helping a friend train for the Chester Marathon in October, so I'm doing longer runs and hoping that will restore my confidence.  I also got within four seconds of my parkrun PB last Saturday and managed my local hill-from-hell last night (first lady up - whooppee!) so maybe, just maybe.....

It's great reading about all your races and training tips though - keep them coming, they inspire and motivate!  At the risk of sounding like Mr Grace, "You're all doing very well!"

20/08/2013 at 22:15

Training for New Forest Marathon has hit a few problems. So far just the one 19mile completed. 2 attempts aborted due to heat, humidity and too much partying. Have decided to have an easy week with nothing longer than 4miles until Sunday. 

That's the last time I enter a September marathon...

When can I get back to Halfs?

22/08/2013 at 06:49

Blimey not surprised you're finding it hard to get in the long runs in this heat TimIt does sound really hard training for a marathon this time of year, but especially this year - it's been really hot. What date is the marathon? Do you have time for a couple of long ones? Good luck with it!

I never run as much in August as me and the kids are both off work and I'm just lazy. I've still been running nearly every day but 7 or 8 miles max and most days just 3 or 4. I also got within 5 secs of my Parkrun PB week before last, Aunt Ninja  and someone has offered to try to pace me to 23-30 this Saturday, though I can't believe I'll be able to run it that fast. It will be interesting to see how fast I can do it with someone to help...

I haven't entered Stroud yet but I think I will. Is anyone doing any other halfs this Autumn? 

22/08/2013 at 08:59

I'm struggling to find halfs. Thrte are a few big ones in London. Ricchmond and Run to the Beat, I guess they're full. The Marathon is 22nd Sep. one more 19 on 1st Sep and I'll be happy.

Looking to enter the Ware 10mile on/around Oct 13th

81 to 100 of 132 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.