Sub 25 - and beyond!

8,961 to 8,980 of 9,103 messages
25/06/2012 at 21:09

Hi hope its ok to join in.  I started doing  parkruns in early March and find them very addictive.  I started off with a time of 23.35 and have got that down to 21.53 though the rate of improvement has slowed down somewhat recently.

My local parkrun course (Banstead) is not the fastest due to a horrible hill at the halfway point.  I'm taking part in 5k London City race in a few weeks. Hoping for a quicker time as all  on road and pretty flat.

Would love to go sub 20 at some point though I am getting on a bit (45).

27/06/2012 at 13:52

Hi all, and Daz and welcome Geoff!

Daz - That is nowhere near all my shoes but I couldn't stand high enough with my camera to get any more into the shot! The one on the blog was me standing on the coffee table being stared at bemusedly by the cat  I did toy with the idea of lying my shoes out on the pavement and taking the photo from my living room window (I live on the first floor) but feared being carted off to the loony bin.

B&H parkrun isn't very flat either alas. Maybe to get a pb I need to go flat but I will only really count it as a pb if done at B&H parkrun as I've done 125 there (and none anywhere else ). My friend's flat 5k pb is 30 seconds faster than her B&H one so if I get sub 20 there I will be extra pleased!

Did a good track session on Monday. Someone else took it so made a change. Have a look at my blog for details (sorry, can't be bothered to type it out twice ).

28/06/2012 at 22:47

Good to hear you are all well on the forum. I'm slowly making my way back with short runs!!

29/06/2012 at 07:58

Been getting back out to ParkRun the last month and am off again tomorrow. PB at Bradford is 20:52 and my last two efforts have been frustratingly close (20:58 and 20:55). Last Saturday's run was made all the more irritating because I was well set for a sub-20:50 but pushed too hard on the last little bit of hill and ended up being sick on the 'back-straight'!

To those who also do a more difficult ParkRun - try to get yourself to a flatter one once in a while. My one effort at Hyde Park (Leeds) last December was 20:32 and my two 5k-splits at Bradford 10k were 20:44 and 20:43. Shows how tricky a bit of hill-work can be.

Geoff - work hard and a sub-20 is always a possibility. Don't feel like your age will hold you back - just take a look at some ParkRun results to see the number of VM40+ runners that go well under twenty minutes.

29/06/2012 at 17:09

Forgot I have the second Clacton 5k race tonight, drat have not trained since last one.

Ah well, see if I can do it in around 22 minutes.

30/06/2012 at 15:34

Helloooo again fellow runners!

Wednesday conatined my favourite race of the year. The Weakest Link relay. Teams of 4 run 2.5 legs then as the last runner comes through the team join them for the last 2.5k (so the leg 4 runner has to run 5k straight). I requested first leg as I like a nice long rest before I have to run again. Damnable sprinters! Amazingly I came in as first lady by a good margin over 2nd place. 2nd legger kept our lead which meant as she handed over we were basically assured victory as our leg 3 and 4 runners are VERY good! (19 and 18 minute 5kers respectively). On the last leg we must run as fast as the slowest runner (hence "The Weakest Link") so everone crosses te line together. I was not the weakest link so the last leg was nice and easy for me thankfully! We ended up winning by a good 600 metres or so and a £10 running shop voucher was the icing on the cake! An excellent evening finished off with fish and chips on the beach. Have a look on my blog if you like for a full report and a photo of the winning team. Success!

On the complete other end of teh running spectrum I'm running the off-road Bewl 15 miler tomorrow!

01/07/2012 at 11:50

Well done Isobel.

Second Clacton 5k was winder and the direction of the wind was reversed. So the last 2.5k was bloody hard. Someone threw up a good couple of hundred meters in front of me, but could still smell he had black current juice before the race. He still beat me. Said to my wife before the off, will do the first 2.5k in 10 mins and then coming back 12 mins. Not far off the mark.

1k 4.00 mins

2k 4:06 mins

3k 4:25 mins

4k 4:48 mins

5k 4:58 mins

For a time of 22:17. Came in 18th of 47

02/07/2012 at 13:05

I didn't feel 'up for it' on Saturday and after 2k decided I wasn't going to push too hard. Strangely, I ended up doing an 'easy' 21:02 which is only ten seconds shy of my Bradford ParkRun PB! Almost wish I had pushed a bit but it was a nice marker to show myself that I am more than capable of going faster than 20:52. Was pretty happy after that performance.

02/07/2012 at 20:51

I also didn't feel 'up for it' on Saturday due to a few beers and a late night, the first parkrun I've done following a night out.  Time was 22.29 about 40 secs off my PB set in early June. Will have a proper go at next Saturdays parkrun in preparation for a 5k race in London the following Thursday which is on all on the road and pretty flat.

03/07/2012 at 13:38

Wahey! this thread seems to have kicked back into life - lots of 25-20 minute action

by way of celebration I even did 4x1k at lunchtime

I forced myself to go off too quick, so knew I'd get a "tailing away" set rather than a nice consistent one... and I did!: 4:17, 4:24, 4:26, 4:29
better than the dismally slow set I did about a month ago
but still a way off my PB pace of 4:22

04/07/2012 at 13:50

Bewl: Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! I did not enjoy it ONE BIT. It is a definite Daz-style race. Hilly, muddy, fieldy, lumpy and TOO LONG!! I wasn't in the mood which is no good at the best of times but when you know you're going to be out there for at least 2 hours it becomes even more hellish. 2 hours and 14 minutes later I finally finished. Yuck! Wet, cold, horrible, too hard and so not my thing. Luckily the only similar thing I've signed up for is Henfield half which is flat so once that's over I must remember I hate anything over 10 miles.

Ran well at track on Monday as was fuelled by rage at my crapness on Sunday. Dead today though when I ran my usual seafront 10 miler. Off out for 6 or so over teh downs this evening. Sheesh will I never stop? No. Intervals at Hove Park tomorrow. Maybe doing Wivelsfield Wobble (4 miles) on Sunday and parkrun on Saturday. I may then expire.

Bewl and track full report.

Edited: 04/07/2012 at 13:52
07/07/2012 at 19:35

Managed another parkrun pb today 21.39 (Nonsuch Park) which very pleased with and felt like there was a bit left in the tank at the end. Doing a 5k race in London next Thursday which is all on the road and largely flat so hoping for a quick time there and then a tough 7 mile race next Saturday (Elmore 7, in Chipstead, Surey).                                  

08/07/2012 at 17:02

Mmanaged a 20.37 parkrun dragged round by a friend from the club. If only I had looked at my watch I could have put in a sprint finish and got a new pb. Grrr but no matter as only 2 seconds off the pb I set a few weeks ago.

Today I waded through 4.5 miles of sludge at the Wivelsfield Wobble.

More info

08/07/2012 at 19:30

Good stuff Ostrich. A parkrun pb next week perhaps?  The battery in my garmin gave out just before the start of the race so I too had very little idea of what time I was doing apart from the timekeeper shouting out the time at halfway and with 200m left.  Managed fairly even splits (was 5 secs faster in the 2nd 2.5k)

Have tried both holding back in the first mile or so and really going for it early on but even splits seem to work best for me.

08/07/2012 at 19:53

Hello there. I've just signed up for my first 5K, wanting to get a time for it then beat it, etc, etc, Normally I'm more of a 10k-er, and half M-word-er, but had an ITB type injury which now seems to be better.

Was wondering if anyone could tell me what your interval/speed run pace would be if you were wanting a sub 25 minute PB. I did sub 8 minute mile pace the other day, which I'm pretty sure is too slow, but I'm only just getting back to training really.

Any clues/shared experiences greatly appreciated. My race is on Sunday the 22nd of July. so I have a couple of weeks... I usually run 3 times a week, tempo run, long slow run and aforementioned interval/speed run.

Thanks very much!

08/07/2012 at 20:46

Running calculator

08/07/2012 at 20:51

Heh. Thanks, Ockham, yes I have been looking at that calculator, just a bit confused as to which run on that is the interval one, cos there's two - is it tempo run or tempo interval? I'm guessing it's interval. My 'tempo interval' yesterday was done at sub 8 minutes, which seems actually too Fast according to Mcmillan! Gosh wow! Cheers.

08/07/2012 at 22:00

Ikle - 8min/M pace is bang on 25mins for 5k - how long did you do it for?

if you're going to do Mile intervals you're probably best aiming for 7:30-7:45 pace

kilometre intervals are good though - you could aim for 4:45-ish and do at least 4 (5 or 6 if you can manage  )

09/07/2012 at 06:47
Thanks D the S. I only managed 3. It about killed me! Did it for 3 quarters of a mile each time with half mile recovery inbetween which is probably too long I know... maybe I'll switch back to training in kms again... my watch is frustrating for interval training because it has average pace...
11/07/2012 at 16:08

Too tired. 3 days rest! Hurrah!!!! I must be tired as usually the thought of rest makes me tres anxious.

Hoping to be rested and ready for another good parkrun on Saturday. Possibly inspired by going to Crystal Palace to watch Diamond League on Friday evening.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.