Sub 25 - and beyond!

8,981 to 9,000 of 9,103 messages
15/07/2012 at 15:38

Rest made me crap! Legs really ached. Ate too much porridge.

Rooooooobish!

19/07/2012 at 01:20

Ostrich - your blog makes good reading - keep it up!
rest makes me carp too - my legs feel really "wooden" if I don't do at least a gentle jog the day before a race
I did a shortish (hilly, obviously) race tonight, but was well off my course PB
I felt really strong endurance/aerobic-wise, but no top end speed
might have something to do with lack of regular speed-work

20/07/2012 at 12:25

Thanks Daz. My blog at present seems to just be me moaning! Having a bit of a bad patch mind-wise at the moment. Getting hacked off with windiness meaning I can never have a proper go at a pb

Major annoyance

20/07/2012 at 17:50

Hi Ostrich, have enjoyed reading your blog. Keep it up!  I also find with running that when things go pear shaped it puts me in a bad mood.  Of course the reverse is true when things go well.

Last Thursday I ran in the Standared Chartered 5k London city race.  It has to be one of the fastest 5k road races in the country as all on tarmac and pancake flat.  I was confident that I would better my 21.39 parkrun time by some margin.  Unfortunatley I hadn't stated on my entry form that I was expecting to run in under 21 minutes so when I attempted to join my work colleagues in the sub 21m group I was turned back as my running number didn't have a green dot in the corner.

Had a less than brilliant starting position and only managed 22.28 a time I've bettered on my local hilly parkrun course in the mud.  Was even more gutted when I found out that a Charlotte a female work colleague who runs sinilar park run times to me managed a massive pb of 20.25!  A lesson learned for next year race. Despite the mediocre time, the atmosphere was fantastic as was the course taking in St Pauls and the London financial district.  Something like 6500 runners took part.

Will do a parkrun tomorrow and have a 10K race next thursday so a couple of pb's would be great.  Looking forward to the warmer dryer weather next week.  Really sick of the rain and the resulting muddy parkrun courses.

25/07/2012 at 23:05
I wouldn't be too dissappointed with that time Geoff. That Standard Chartered course is closer to 5.25k or so I mapped it. Was happy with my 23.08 time, especially as I only started running again 3 months ago(after an 18 year lay off!)
Edited: 25/07/2012 at 23:07
26/07/2012 at 21:02

Probably my last 5km race this year, at clacton earlier this evening.

No training since last one. so thought I would try for 21 mins. On the little warm up found the wind a bit strong so decided to run at a pace that felt comfortable.

First 2.5k in 11 mins and against the wind. So I knew I can get under 22 mins. Unofficial time of 21:28. Best this year.

27/07/2012 at 19:34

Cheers Paul.  If the course is close to 5.25K that equates to 6.53 per mile pace which isn't too bad I suppose.  23.08 is a an excellent time with only 3 months recent running under your belt.

Excellent time Ockham. That the sort of time I'm looking for a tomorrows parkrun.  Hasn't been a great week running wise as haven't done anything too intense due to the 30C heat in my part of the world.    

28/07/2012 at 12:30

I have returned from the New Forest! Excellent weather but not much exercise.

Thanks Geoff hopefully one day we will both be happy with our parkrun times! Not today though as I was grabbed to help when I arrived so was on scanning duty. Good as think if I ran it would have been slow. Can't wait to get back to normal training routine as of Monday.

Blog here

04/08/2012 at 17:41

Managed another parkrun pb today of 21.35 (pb by 4 secs) which came as a welcome surprise given the heavy overnight rain and a further heavy downpour around 30 minutes before the start which made the grassy sections of the course tricky in places.

06/08/2012 at 15:56

Decided to run parkrun as a warm up to parkrun. Failed. Warm up parkrun significantly faster than actual parkrun of 22.22!

Details

06/08/2012 at 20:50

Hi Ostrich don't think I'll ever try that parkrun warm up routine! Sound a touch excessive.

Until a couple of months ago, my pre parkrun preparation consisted of half hearted bit of stretching any maybe a few hundred metre jog from the carpark to the start line.  Read on the internet the importance of a decent warmup for 5 & 10k races.  Routine now consists of around  a mile  of easy jogging followed by a further mile containing 4 or 5 30 second bursts at race pace  

Seems to work for me as have knocked about 1 minute of my time.

Tried cycling to a parkrun event once which was total stupidity as hadn't been on a bike for over a year resulting in a crap parkrun time.  Legs were f#cked!

10/08/2012 at 11:45

I am beginning to feel a bit of a fraud on this thread
my last "run in anger" at 5k was just over a year ago
I did do my "regular" mixed intervals sesh on Wednesday, but the last time I did even that was in February
having said that, my times were not too bad, so maybe not too far of 5k PB condition...
tbf I am currently training for a couple of ultra events (one tomorrow, and one in 3 weeks)
I'll probably start doing more flat/roady stuff after that, and promise to try to fit in a 5k before the end of the year

this is what I'm doing tomorrow btw:

http://www.darkandwhite.co.uk/RunFurther/2012/LTB2011.jpg

(34 miles / 6500ft ascent)

Edited: 10/08/2012 at 11:47
13/08/2012 at 13:55

Oh but Daz I love hearing about your long distance, mountainous adventures! Though they do make me ashamed that I don't really like going over 10k and certainly don't like even the smallest of hills - "flat" as you call it

Hi Geoff. It certainly was a stupid warm up! I usually do the same as you. Cycle there, jog about a kilometre, stand about chatting thus ruining negligible warm up, run a crap race... The problem I have is regardless of warm up etc I can only run well if my mind is in the right place but am yet to work out how to make it ready. Occasionally it wants to race, mostly not

I have decided to concentrate on shorter stuff for a while, After Henfield half this Sunday I'm going back to 10k and under. I'm always chopping and changing my training so goodness knows how long it will last this time. 

14/08/2012 at 20:27

Good luck with the Ultra Events Daz.  I'm a bit like Ostrich in that I'm not keen on races over 10K though I don't mind hills.  Excessive mud and slippery surfaces are my pet hates.

Ostrich agree totally that you have to be mentally in the right place to run well. I think I must have been yesterday as managed a regular 5K road run I do near my office in a PB of 20.50.  Fingers crossed I will be one of these days on a parkrun.

PS Is the Henfield half quite tough? I imagine it probably is as your quite near the South Downs.   

15/08/2012 at 14:56

Henfield Half is flat (I wouldn't have signed up for it otherwise) as on old railway route but it is off road and contains stiles which I am AWFUL at crossing (especially if it's muddy and wet)! Oh well. After that it's short short short all the way

More bloggery

15/08/2012 at 15:18

8:24 for my ultra last Saturday
(that's 8 hours and 24 minutes)
well pleased as I was going for sub-8:30
diced with heatstroke/sunstroke/dehydration/cramp/concussion(!)... it was ace!

I will be working to a 13:30 schedule for my 57-Miler on 1st Sept...

still not sure I should be posting this on a 5k thread

17/08/2012 at 20:19

That a superb effort to beat your target time by 6 minutes. Keep the Ultra posts coming.  A work colleague training for this years Brighton marathon found he started going quicker at 5 & 10k's so maybe lots of miles helps your pace over shorter distances.

Gool luck to everyone doing a parkrun or some other race this weekend.  I'm off to a car show tomorrow so won't have time for my usual parkrun 5k.  Ist one I've missed for a couple of months.

22/08/2012 at 14:23

Here's my review of Henfield Half!

http://www.running-physio.com/henfield/

Seems somewhat pathetic in light of Daz's efforts! We love hearing about them though Daz so please keep posting.

I've done the oppposite and gone back to short

31/08/2012 at 15:32

Whoop! 5k PB. Mainly because it was my first track 5k where all my other 5k runs are at hove Park which is a littyle bit hilly (or flat as Daz would have it!)

Read the report here

31/08/2012 at 20:51

Well done Ostrich on your PB.  I'm going to try a fairly local parkrun tomorrow that I've not done before but which I'm told is fastish.  Am also doing a 5k race in London (Hyde Park) at the end of next month which has excellent PB potential.  Would be very happy with anything under 21 mins.     

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.