Sub 25 - and beyond!

141 to 160 of 9,112 messages
08/01/2007 at 21:52
crikey!
don't know how that posted twice.

Pammie
Yum - 200s! Let us know how they go. Are you now on with the second wek of the plan?

08/01/2007 at 21:57
Yep!

just been looking at mcmillamn gulp.

On the schedule 200s are supposed to be run @ 800m pace thats 54 secs for me

and 400s run @ mile pace thats 2 minutes (for the 400)

This is based on my current 5km time that i did last month

400s i should be ok with 200s well we'll see.
08/01/2007 at 21:59
I've just got a sadist for a trainer sharkie. I had planned an easy session on Saturday to save myself for my long run on Sunday but he had other ideas!! Then again that's how I got my times down last year and how I'll do it again - hopefully.

I think the toughest session I remember from pre-injury ended up with 200 metre sprints at 10.5mph - at the end of a 30 min run!! Blinking hurt but thoroughly enjoyed it.

I find it difficult to do intervals and speed work outside when I'm on my own so I do do a lot of treadie work.

I'm still having a few probs with the groin but I think it's more the 'bruised, recuperating' thing rather than anything more sinister. It's weird but I've had worse injuries which I managed to train thro' (albeit at a lower intensity) but I think it must be the location that's the real issue. It's a very disconcerting place to get pain (esp as it's sort of round and underneath the leg rather than the front of the groin).

I started running in '99 and ran an assortment of races (winning a few trophies along the way) thro' to my second FLM in '02. I had such a dreadful race and then was very ill a couple of days after so took a break which (for various reasons) turned into something like 2.5 years and 2.5 stone!

I hadn't kept any records for my 5k pb pre-break but did 25.05 at Battersea RforL last May. My original plan for last year was to concentrate on getting my 5k as low as I could, then going up to 10k and doing the same with that and then up to 10m etc up to the mara. Course the injury put paid to that. Still once I've got FLM under my belt (hopefully with a pb) then I'll start the process again this summer.

I'm sure that even tho' I'm knocking on the next age group up there's still more in the tank. Just wish I'd had the encouragement and decent training years ago. Still them's the breaks!!!
08/01/2007 at 22:23
Pammie

You can do 400m faster that 2mins. Me it kill trying to do 400m in 2mins.
08/01/2007 at 22:50
ceal

my back is v flexible
Cobra does litttel for my quads

Bow pose
or that horrid one

Sharkie-i do know-just think a mile may be a bit long
08/01/2007 at 23:46
kazzah
If that's you in your pic then it looks like the additional 2 and a half stone is now a thing of the past. Shouldn't think the PBs are though - you obviously have the will to achieve more and the history to prove you can.

I treat myself to a trainer too. I love clothes and all that and reckon if the bod looks orlright (ish) then you can pay less and still look ok. So it's a saving having a trainer! They are also great - as I think you imply - for the motivation when it's lacking. My trainer bloke is keen on the super challenging stuff too and reckons I might as well get my money's worth. If you're half hearted about it then it's a bit of a waste of time really. But yeah it's hard work.

I'm a great believer in strength training for women, especially as we get a bit older. You ARE still a mere babe compared to me of course!

Banish Bingo Wings and Two Cats Fighting in a Sack forever.

Hmmm I never did do that weights session today.
Oh LAWKS!
08/01/2007 at 23:58
Strength training - i know i should

G'night
09/01/2007 at 00:03
Sadly sharkie a stone of it's gone back on since that pic was taken and the abs are a thing of the past - for now!! Got to get my head back in the zone and sort my diet out. Have rather slipped back into bad habits.

Been having pt now for about 18 months and not sure who enjoys our sessions more - my trainer or I. Was really chuffed the time he said that he liked my attitude and how much he enjoyed trainig me. He knows that I'm uber-competitive (with myself mostly) and will have a go at whatever he gets me to do. If he wants me to do, say, 50 crunches I'll have to do 51.

Always been quite happy over in the free weights corner. Can understand why a lot of women don't like to do weights and feel intimidated but I think it's a shame. As you say, strength training is no bad thing for women.
09/01/2007 at 00:04
Aye you should Pammie - it can be fun!! Homest!

Night chuck.
09/01/2007 at 10:12
Yesterday was meant to be a rest day, and I certainly didn't run. Best laid plans etc though, the day somehow went a bit pear shaped and ended up with me eating the wrong things and doing some rather half hearted tricep dips, press ups, and - inspired by Kazz , front raises - at midnight. Not clever really.

I have decided to cut back the mileage this week. After all I have never completed three weeks in a row at anything over 21 never mind 27.5. I'll go out for a steady paced 4 or 5 later and while I am lapping the Downs of Delightful Dalston will work out what to do with the rest of the week.

Enjoy your night out Kazz if we don't hear from you today. I have lots more questions for you so don't go away!

Pammie
There is no reason why you can't run those 200s at around 50 seconds. The 400s sound more difficult - especially to keep even. Kaz and I will keep pestering you about strength training - and I know ceal will too if she loooks in.

Back later
sharkie
09/01/2007 at 11:53
Not sure how much help I'll be sharkie but you can always try me!!!
09/01/2007 at 12:26
Hi gang

'fraid interval session was pants

it was horribly windy, no matter what direction i ran some were ok i think you might guess which ones were into headwind.

61, 2 mins Garmin lost its satellites was way more than 200m)
65, 64, 57, 60, 49!, 56, 60

1½ mile warm up
1.75 miles cool down

You sound like me Kaz
09/01/2007 at 12:52
More power to you Pammie. I can't do intervals outside even in good weather unless it's a case of sprinting between fixed objects, but just increase my pace for certain periods of time, nope. Even with my garmin I tend to bumble along. Why I do so much treadie work.
09/01/2007 at 13:08
I just run between lamp-posts for intervals.
There's a disused busway right behind where I work - quite flat and very quiet - 12 lamp-posts=quarter-mile, 6 lamp-posts roughly equivalent to 200m etc...
09/01/2007 at 15:01
Pammie
You did 8 x 200, so we'll have less of this pants talk.
It's tough stuff out there at the moment - I'm just about to go out. Still light so might be able to get some of my route on grass. Albeit grass covered in dogpoo, used condoms, syringes and a carving knife (yes, true - once anyway.)

I thought your schedule was a Hal Higdon one, but you mention MacMillan?

Kazz
I can't get to grips with speed and perception of speed on a treadie. I always feel I'm slower for more effort.

Daz
Sounds quite good - I'm assuming that as it's disused you can run on the tarmac rather than concrete. The pavement would have made Pammie's intervals that much harder.

Gi' us a bit ofrunning history then Daz, aw go on.

09/01/2007 at 16:13
The pavement is one of those flat tarmac'ed jobbies (rather than paving stones or concrete), so pretty good to run on.

Do you mean "The History Of Running Since The Dawn Of Time", or my personal running history?
09/01/2007 at 16:26
09/01/2007 at 16:40
B"m it's the same day as the Brentwood Half.
09/01/2007 at 16:42
Your Royal Dazness:
personal running history please.

I have Noakes (that's Tim not John for those of you old enough to know what I mean. Probably just me), I have Daniels, I have the gambolling Glovers, I have Higdon.

I even have the barmy Bingham. Early mistake Your Honour.

Anyway, there's enough running history in that small mountain, along with training plans that I will never start.

So yeah. This time it's personal.
09/01/2007 at 17:00
Drinks have been postponed so theoretically I should go to the gym and do my first pilates class since pre-injury but am so pooped I think I'll just go home and crash out. Don't know why I feel so tired at the mo - too many late nights and early monrings probably!
141 to 160 of 9,112 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.