sub 2hr half marathon target

81 to 94 of 94 messages
14/08/2014 at 22:30

Sounds frustrating Emjay, hope it works in your favour in the end.

Found putting sessions on the calendar useful, been realistic about what days will work training wise that way and stuck to the plan. Increasing mileage slowly but surely.

Done two Long runs up to 10 miles the last couple of weeks. At the point where the long runs are getting me tired... but that's no surprise as it's my first time hitting double figures mileage on long run day!

Last week was tough, resting HR was elevated (10bpm higher than normal) for 7 days, back to normal now after sticking to easy mileage that week.

Backing off a little and taking an easy week this week, planning to increase the distance again next week.

19/08/2014 at 23:06

Backed off a little too much at the weekend. 

Went out for a mad one with my friends and didn't manage to fit in any running. It was an endurance event.. thing is it was exactly the wrong kind!

Anyway, back on track with 4 miles tempo yesterday and cross training today.

21/08/2014 at 12:31

I hope you had a good night Zicksi! 

11 mile hilly run in the Lake District  for me at the weekend. A good run and legs were feeling strong although I stopped for 10 mins mid way to chat to a farmer so I'm not sure whether the strong legs were a red herring .

A swim on Monday, 200m intervals on Tuesday and a 6 mile recovery yesterday. 5m tempo today and my first 13 miler since pre marathon scheduled for Saturday. Looking forward to seeing how I get on! I actually have no idea whether I'm improving or will likely achieve a sub 2 at the moment! I'm managing to stay free of injuries though so I'm thankful for that at least. Might be time for another parkrun in the next few weeks to monitor how I'm getting on! 

I hope you're all having a good week and making the most of the cooler weather, I certainly am! 

21/08/2014 at 18:53

Hi. Havent been out for much running at all lately. Done a couple of session this week and last weekend but pulled something in my back on Tuesday night when I attempted a speedwork session. My back still in bit of pain today, which doesnt bode well for running half marathon on Sunday.

Hope everyone enjoys running this weekend

24/08/2014 at 18:29
Seven bridge half marathon completed today. Brilliant event amazing running on the bridge. Very unique to be lucky enough to be part of the first race

Undulating route thst i expected but some of the hills definately took me by suprise especially the "big" hill.

My back went again like in training and struggled after mile ten

Overall given lack of training, back i am pleased to complete the race

Finish chip time confirmed 2hr 14min 53 seconds. I had somewhat of a sprint finish after coming up another hill to get under 2.15
27/08/2014 at 12:54

We'll done TF, I hope your back is feeling better now? Is that you done for now or did you have any more races planned this year? 

12.8 miles done on Saturday. Struggled somewhat as I forgot how boring long runs can be so I found myself looking forward to pedestrian crossings so that I could stop for a few seconds ha ha. Had a brief walk at 6 miles to take a gel and then after about 9 miles I was really struggling mentally even though my legs felt relatively fine. Had a couple more brief stops for around 30 seconds walk before finishing. So this weeks challenge is to do the whole route without any stops, although I'll be running in the evening and I usually find my energy levels are much much higher in evenings.  

I've got approx 5 weeks left to go now, with a hilly 10k race and a half marathon (which I'm doing instead of a training long run to break the monotony of training) before then. 

03/09/2014 at 18:36

Well done TF, especially given the back issue. Hope it's improved since then.

HM fast approaching for me, nearly 4 weeks to go!

I was on holiday so been off the forum radar for a little while. Still training though, most recent highlight was a good 12.6 miles before going away.Good luck at the races Emjay!

07/09/2014 at 20:20

Thanks Zicksi. Maidenhead half marathon today. My schedule said to hold a little in reserve and aim for a 02:02 finish/ 9:20 mm's. Was cruising round comfortably, not really struggling until the last mile or so, so I'm happy I'm on target for a sub 2 in a months time

Annoyingly my finish time was over 02:03, but have just hooked up my garmin and it seems the first mile took almost 11 mins with the congestion which explains it. 

Am doing a 10k next weekend but I'll probably take it easy after today. 

Where are all the other sub 2'ers?! How is everyone getting on? 

Edited: 07/09/2014 at 20:21
05/10/2014 at 23:14

Hope you had a good run today, Emjay!

I finished the Glasgow half marathon in 1:58.

06/10/2014 at 21:14

Hey zicksi! Well done! What was the race like? 

I did Bournemouth in 1:57! Chuffed to bits with my time and loved the route, will look at going back next year! 

06/10/2014 at 21:45

Very well done Emjay, that's an excellent time! Great to see your hard work paid off.

I really enjoyed the route, which was new for this year. It's one of the bigger races here, plenty of support on the way round which was nice to see.

I'll probably do the event next year too!

06/10/2014 at 21:52

Hi folks, just popping in to read back on what you go through for a sub 2 time. My HM PB (first and only race) was 2:13 august 2013 - I ran the same race this year but had a groin injury and dnf.

Next attempt probably won't be until next August (I live on Mull  and rarely get to the mainland). Won't be doing and specific HM training as have marathons in July and September but hoping that training will see me sub 2 hours?

08/10/2014 at 20:54

Hey Ecce.

The marathon training will naturally be your priority, but the endurance you get from it should stand you in good stead for the half.

I'm better at speeding up than running long, so my mile splits from HM day look like this:

1 - 8:56
2- 9:09
3- 8:48
4- 9:08
5-- 9:04
6- 9:50
7- 9:08
8- 9:14
9 -9:13
10- 8:56
11- 8:48
12- 8:48
13- 8:31
13.1 - 7:20

Mile 6 is way off; needed a toilet break at 5.5 miles!

Edited: 08/10/2014 at 20:55
09/10/2014 at 19:50

hi  zicks,  am not adding all those times up but looks nicely under 2 hours to me 

From now until the New Year I'm just planning on base training and building up my subLT run/s to hopefully an hour so won't be bothering about pace until then. Well, ok, I probably will bother but am HADD training so trying to ignore pace and just run to HR.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
81 to 94 of 94 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.