Sub 3 Hr Marathon training plan

8 messages
14/05/2008 at 11:50

Has anyone got or know where I can obtain a training plan to run a sub 3hr marathon. My current PB was London this yr when I ran 03:18 - I want to try and do a Sub 3hr in the autumn and am looking for a training plan.

I tried the Smartcoach program but I prefer to train twice a day at least 3 times a week and the easy run paces it churns out seem a bit on the slow side

Anyone got any experience of a training schedule that resulted in them breaking the 3hr barrier ?

(I currently train 8-9 times a week doing approx 40-90 miles a week)

14/05/2008 at 12:18

Hello Duncan  much too slow to offer any really to offer any real advice

I'm not a fan of smart coach myself.

But you could look at the training tab at top of page a few different schedules there

But don't know if you've already had but pay a visit to the FLM forum a few different  threads for sub 3  there you'll get advice and encourage from people who know what they are talking about

Good luck

MtR
14/05/2008 at 13:20

I'd get yourself a copy of Advanced Marathoning by Pfitzinger and Douglas and follow either the up to 70mpw plan or as you run doubles already, the over 70mpw plan. Works for a lot of people. Then I'd mosey over to the sub-3 thread and tell us what brand of washing machine you prefer.

3:18 to sub-3 is a big step, but it can be done.

14/05/2008 at 17:38

Matt,

Don't put the poor guy off my mentioning washing machines already...!

No, seriously, I agree with Matt that 18 minutes over c. 6 months is quite a big ask, so you'll need to train smart.  P&D is a good book and I followed their 70 mpw schedule and took 12 minutes off over 6 months.  Matt is also right that the sub-3 thread is good for advice and support so do mosey over if you like.

14/05/2008 at 17:55

Hail Hail

nah, bu@@er the sub3 thread.  Just run lots of miles, some of them fast, some of them slow(ish), and some of them REALLY fast.  To quote a great man - it aint rocket science.

cougie    pirate
14/05/2008 at 17:57
Blimey Duncan - 90 miles a week ? And you did 3.18 ? You beat me by a minute - but the only way I'd get to 90 miles a week is if you add the bike miles in too.
14/05/2008 at 18:10

Hail Hail

Yeah but Cougie, you had to slow down to let a World Record Holder catch you up, and then beat you!!

15/05/2008 at 21:11

Thx for the info guys - I think I'll get hold of a copy of the book mentioned (the thought of washing machines makes me tremble...)

Cougie - i only did 90 miles for a couple of consecutive weeks at the peak of my training - normally average around 50-60. I haven't really done any tempo runs or speedwork for at least a yr  as I've been concentrating on the mileage for a couple of ultras I did. 

I'd love to do 120miles+ a week - just a shame that eternal pain in the butt (work) gets in the way ! I wish I could run every morning, have a snooze in the afternoon (like Paula R) and run again in the afternoon !

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.