Sub 3:30 Stevenage Marathon 2 November

281 to 296 of 296 messages
02/11/2014 at 20:40

I just re read this whole thread earlier gideon, and I clearly did take on much of the advice given and did readjust my targets accordingly.  My training wasnt perfect but not absymal.  Really wish I could have do pne the run today.

02/11/2014 at 20:43

I reckon if I did the run in, say 3:59, or even4:05, people would be still claiming victory regardless of how happy I was with the result.  I cant wait for Brighton 2015.

Edited: 02/11/2014 at 20:43
02/11/2014 at 22:13
You should look at the msp posted by Nayan. You are still somewhere on that river if you actually believe you took any advice on board. Your training was too hard for your current fitness (at the time).
Hopefully you will be fitter and wiser for Brighton.
Edited: 02/11/2014 at 22:13
02/11/2014 at 22:26

I ran the half today and apart from the marshalls and police cadets who were great supporting the runners in those wet conditions I wasn't that impressed

What happened to the portaloos, were they stolen or did the race organiser forget to order more than 2?

03/11/2014 at 13:23

Gideon: I can't see the point of bickering if the man didn't even make the starting line due to illness.

Basher: Not sure 'people' would be claiming any sort of victory, actually. Honestly I think 'people' have bigger fish to fry.

Edited: 03/11/2014 at 13:24
03/11/2014 at 15:01
Nayan- I'm just amazed at the continuing lack of understanding/admission about where he went wrong. After all we do not know if he was dick or just knew he'd be nowhere near his proposed time/s.
I wanted him to do well. I want everybody to do well. Hence trying to help.
03/11/2014 at 15:18

Well If we're splitting haits its not clear that he would've succeeded or failed with his revised goal. He got ill and didn't start so we'll never know. That's the official version anyway.

Either way I can think of better things to get annoyed about.

03/11/2014 at 16:00

hi bash, Just read some of this thread and I felt like commenting because I can relate to this and it brought back bad memories. A different sport, Rowing in 2006 I trained dam hard for many a year and entered the welsh indoor rowing championship in December firmly believing I would break the record in my category. I told many people this was my belief because I done it in training. I put my everything in this but the day before I got a chest infection. when I seen all these people in the months following and they asked me how I got on. I sensed so many times they thought it was an excuse or it was down to my training. Never once did anyone show any genuine remorse. They just saw this fit strong person always down the gym who was never ill apart from that particular day.

I could not put this right because I had to leave the gym circuit and could no longer keep to the hard training. I felt a piece of me went that day and there was not a dam thing I could do about it. It is easy knowing in your heart what you know but its your dignity being questioned when youre doubted.

I have my own rower now and my goal is to go for the over 50s record in my category in 2017. This seems like a 11 year vengeance, A chance to give a big two fingers up. 

Anyway just thought ill write this, Getting it of my chest and to let you now others do understand.

03/11/2014 at 16:36
The hardest part of a marathon is getting to the start line.
03/11/2014 at 22:07
I concur TimR.
Nayan. I'm not annoyed, nor trying to bicker. But sometimes you have to remind people of the good advice that they received and then ignored. Yourself, Millsy, literatin to name a few advised that the approach was wrong. Claiming that overtraining had nowt to do with the DNS just shows the same crazy attitude that amazed everybody all along.
Hopefully the lesson has been learned and the posts we see are just male bravado.
04/11/2014 at 05:26

You've reminded him a good 3 or 4 times now. 

Well done you.

Edited: 04/11/2014 at 08:29
04/11/2014 at 09:57
Hey thanks. Tough love is where it is at in adult sport.
04/11/2014 at 11:22

i''m not annoyed, nor trying to bicker. 

be honest with yourself.  You are annoyed and you are bickering,  adult sport ffs you are blatantly on the wind up.

04/11/2014 at 16:36
Nah- not on the wind up. Just disappointed for you and for this thread. I wanted a happy ending.
04/11/2014 at 17:00
In the adult world there are very few happy endings.

Although I can recommend a very good masseuse.
06/11/2014 at 11:29
Lol

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
281 to 296 of 296 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.