Sub 38 Min 10K training plan help

2 messages
WFE
11/05/2012 at 16:21

Hello,

I completed my second 10k on Sat in Peckham in 40.24, but my goal for the coming months is to go sub 38 mins if possible (quite a random time to be aiming for).

I'm entered into the Staines 10K on Sunday and hope that trying to pace my race will get me under 40mins, however I only run to work and back which is about 5k each way (running at the same pace pretty much every time I do it) and don't train for running as such, so i'm quite clueless as to how I should go about improving my times.

I have a reasonably good basic level of fitness, I play rugby, spin, swim and weight train, but would like to focus more on running. I was hoping that someone would have a beginners style training plan that I could use to improve my times.

Thanks in advance.

WFE
12/05/2012 at 18:44

If your times arn't improving than you will need to start incorporating quality runs,by quality runs i mean tempo, intervals and reps, so when you make a training plan have a tempo run of 20-45mins (3-6miles) and alternate every week or every 3-4weeks  between intervals (no more than 8% of weekly mileage) to stress v02max and reps (no more than 6% of weekly mileage) to work on running form and leg turnover, but don't forget a weekly long run of 25-30% of weekly mileage, all the other runs are just easy runs to recover and reach weekly mileage. Hope this hepls. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.